Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnson Half-Belt in Horween Overdyed Black

technovox

One Too Many
Recently, I've had some inquiries about my new Johnson Half-Belt in the overdyed black, and I promised some pics.

To start, I took a half-belt (Levis- Blue Black - aka Speedway) to Alan at Johnson Leathers. I like the 30's design, but the dimensions of the Levis original were all wrong for me (a serious drop front, and an unwieldly short 22 inch back.) So I had Alan add some length (to the body and arms,) nix the drop front, but otherwise stay as close as possible.

Admittedly, this style is well suited to traditional goatskin. But I wanted to give the Horween Overdyed Black another chance because of its beautiful aging qualities. (However, this time I requested the beastly 4.5 oz thickness skinned down to a manageable 3 oz.)
Also, Alan suggested a brown thread to highlight the emerging brown overtones and give the jacket some depth. Talon nickel zips, nickel buckles, real horn buttons, longer collar, satin lining, vertical back seam and curved yoke, all were based on the original jacket.

I’ve only had it about a month now, but already the jacket is developing an amazing character. It’s very comfortable, seems to hit that sweet spot of supple yet thick enough… and crisp looking with the contrast brown thread and black leather. A very easy jacket to wear.

Note:
I’ve started to notice two distinct curves in the overall life of a new acquisition. There are some jackets that I’ve liked straight out of the box, but over time grew bored with them… or got to the point where I finally acknowledged they just don’t work for me and I never wear them.

And then there is that rare jacket, like this one, that seems to just get better with age and wear. The more wear time, the more I notice the subtleties, the emerging patina, the accumulation of scars and the marks, the comfort, and the easy way it molds to my body. After a while I realized it’s become my singular favorite…like an old friend. The proverbial “go to” jacket that makes all the trials and errors worth while. (If I could just figure out all this before I spend the money on all the others. Part of the learning curve, I suppose. And why I keep coming back to Fedora.)
Enough blabber- here are the promised pics. Enjoy!

JHB_Main.jpg JHB_sleeve.jpg JHB_Back.jpg JHB_Backdetail.jpg JHB_Collar.jpg JHB_Pocket.jpg JHB_Pocket2.jpg JHB_Zipper.jpg

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great!

I had the same issue with the Speedway. Love the styling but I couldn't get over the super cropped length. Nice solution. Any fit pics? Would love to see it worn.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great review and pics, thanks for posting. I especially like the subtle touch of the brown stitching. The grain is really starting to pop... I could go on and on naming things I like about this jacket. Well done.

wdw

One Too Many
Very nice. I've been thinking of contrast stitching for my next one, as a subtle contrast just adds that little something extra

jonbuilder

technovox: I believe I tried your jacket on when I was at Johnsons in early Dec. The jacket fit me well enought that Alan is using the same pattern for the jacket he's making for me. I chose a levi pattern with off set zip using the same hide keeping the drop front. Iam schedule for a fitting this week.
Looks good like to see fit picturs of course
jon

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks great. Another fantastic looking JL jacket. Look forward to pics with you wearing the new jacket.

technovox

One Too Many
Looks great!

I had the same issue with the Speedway. Love the styling but I couldn't get over the super cropped length. Nice solution. Any fit pics? Would love to see it worn.

I remember your post, and I think that's what started me thinking about the Speedway.

Instead of the Levis Blue-Black we should call this one the Johnson Brown-Black!

technovox

One Too Many
technovox: I believe I tried your jacket on when I was at Johnsons in early Dec. The jacket fit me well enought that Alan is using the same pattern for the jacket he's making for me. I chose a levi pattern with off set zip using the same hide keeping the drop front. Iam schedule for a fitting this week.
Looks good like to see fit picturs of course
jon
Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, especially with the off-set zip.
And I keep thinking having this jacket made in a goatskin would be a possibility in the far future.
Post pics when you get it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Spectacular jacket!!!!

Does Alan/JL work with any 2oz HH?

Yes he does and there is a half belt example somewhere here in Outerwear. I think a fellow Aussie member too. It may be 2.2oz, like the medium horse Aero and others use. I had Alan make me a 3oz half belt a couple of years ago and although it is great it's too heavy to wear around here so I may commission a 2oz HH remake. Hmmm.

ProteinNerd

I'm actually waiting on a modified Aero version in an attempt to do this myself. Its based on the premier half belt pattern with the Speedway back in Black Vicenza.

Will post pics when it arrives, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24