Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Johnson Leathers M-200-J in Horween Chromexcel

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
After trying to get a jacket for over 2 years from our friends in Scotland I gave up and decided to go with an American company, Johnson Leathers. Initially I was going to order an M200-L and had Alan send me a test fit jacket to try on and photograph for him. That was until I saw Technovox's post about the M-200-J and changed my mind. Alan quickly sent me out a test fit 200-J to try on and photograph. Come August I had a 200-J in 4.25oz Horween Chrome-Excel black overdye leather. I read somewhere that the Japanese call it "teacore" leather but in any case, I believe this leather is actually intended for shoes. It's pretty tough but it's breaking in well and softening just by wearing it in the house. The jacket weighs about 8 .lbs. The mods I had done were:

added one inch to the body
added a pistol pocket
added snaps to the collar
chose a black quilted liner
deleted the zippers in the sleeves
deleted the inside wind flap

Alan was a pleasure to deal with and the process could not have gone smoother. I will post more pics this fall after I actually get to wear it outside. This jacket cost me $560 plus about $35 in shipping the two test fit jackets back to Alan. I don't know how or where to do better than that. Thank you Technovox and JL!

Jacket 001.jpg Jacket 002.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Why is it called a pistol pocket? Is it a misnomer (like gun flap on a trenchcoat), or were they ever actually used for carrying a gun?

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I think that some use that term simply because of the way the pocket is angled. Others describe them as G1 type pockets as well.
HD

Right. I call it a pistol pocket because that's what it's for. The lining of the pocket is made of leather and shaped for a small/medium frame revolver. Of course, it's not a bad idea to keep the piece in a holster inside the pocket. When I think of a map pocket, I think of a traditional top-entry inside pocket. I suppose referring to it as a "G1-style/pistol pocket" is a concise way to put it.

winterland1

Practically Family
Nice price and nice jacket. Yes, please show us more pics when you can. Nice to know we can get custom work done in the USA at a decent price.

Peacoat

Bartender
Why is it called a pistol pocket? Is it a misnomer (like gun flap on a trenchcoat), or were they ever actually used for carrying a gun?

Johnson Leathers calls it a pistol pocket because they make it of leather and custom shaped to the pistol one wishes to carry in the pocket. They make a lot of jackets for police officers and are well schooled in the art of pistol pockets. I sent an outline of the pistol I wished to carry, and they did the rest. Perfect fit. Actually, I sent two outlines of pistols I carry, and they made the pistol pocket to fit both of them. Hard to beat service such as that.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
That looks like a great jacket and the pricing is very, very sharp considering the leather used, you got a great deal there. Visually it looks identical to the leather of my Aero HBD although that's horse and a tad less heavy. Enjoy it and drop the gym membership; the jacket will make for a full daily workout, just wearing it in the first couple of weeks.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. I'm glad to hear good things about these Guys. I'm in the process of sorting one with Alan now.
Great stuff, sharp jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Johnson Leathers calls it a pistol pocket because they make it of leather and custom shaped to the pistol one wishes to carry in the pocket. They make a lot of jackets for police officers and are well schooled in the art of pistol pockets. I sent an outline of the pistol I wished to carry, and they did the rest. Perfect fit. Actually, I sent two outlines of pistols I carry, and they made the pistol pocket to fit both of them. Hard to beat service such as that.

Ah! Interesting concept. A few of my jackets have the G1 style pockets, though none leather lined. I've never carried, so I've not encountered this before. It sounds essentially like having a built-in holster as part of the jacket.

Johnson certainly seem to do nice jackets. I picked up a d-pocket of theirs a couple of months ago, from another Flounger via eBay. Very pleased with that. If I was more local to them I'd definitely drop in for a look round their shop.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Ah! Interesting concept. A few of my jackets have the G1 style pockets, though none leather lined. I've never carried, so I've not encountered this before. It sounds essentially like having a built-in holster as part of the jacket.

Johnson certainly seem to do nice jackets. I picked up a d-pocket of theirs a couple of months ago, from another Flounger via eBay. Very pleased with that. If I was more local to them I'd definitely drop in for a look round their shop.
Edward, would you min posting some pics of D pocket? I'm actually designing a. Pocket with Alan now..cheers mate

Capesofwrath

Practically Family

No. Since you live in the UK I believe I hope you haven't.

The last time I was in the US was a while ago now and carrying concealed weapons was illegal for civilians in most states I think. Certainly it would have been very unusual then.

I and probably most Europeans do find the idea of every other Joe Soap walking around the streets armed a bit unappealing.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
No. Since you live in the UK I believe I hope you haven't.

The last time I was in the US was a while ago now and carrying concealed weapons was illegal for civilians in most states I think. Certainly it would have been very unusual then.

I and probably most Europeans do find the idea of every other Joe Soap walking around the streets armed a bit unappealing.
I agree Capes. In Australia its near impossible for the average bloke to get a gun. As the Mgr of a pub, I'm quite grateful for that!

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I don't like the idea of the average bloke with a car. Dangerous. ;)

Quite agree. You could easily get into an argument with someone like that and before you know it he's whipped his out and run you over with it.

Can you just imagine the carnage in saloons in the old west if everyone was packing a Toyota?

BobJ

Practically Family
Hi Jack, that's a neat looking jacket. I hope you have a loooong life - to do it justice! ;)

I have a couple question: Do Johnson Leathers carry the cxl hh or did you have to source your own? Also, what size it the jacket?

Thanks,

Bob

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I will put up some more pics this weekend. Also, this thread could do without all the personal opinions on carrying firearms.

Could you describe that leather some more, please? From Technovox's post, it sounds like it looks black, but it's brown underneath when wear patterns emerge--is that accurate?

It's initially tanned a dark brown and then finished in black. The back side (suede portion) of the leather is brown. If you scratch the finished side with a sharp object the black will come off and show brown. So eventually, certain spots will wear to brown.

Hi Jack, that's a neat looking jacket. I hope you have a loooong life - to do it justice! ;)
I have a couple question: Do Johnson Leathers carry the cxl hh or did you have to source your own? Also, what size it the jacket?

AFAIK, Johnson only carries the chromexcel cowhide. If you want them to make a jacket out of HH, you'll have to source it yourself from Horween which I hear is a pain in the butt. It's a size 42.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner