Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Wandering Fool

New in Town
Introduction

Good Evening. My name is John Schraven and I live in Vermont, about 20 miles south of Canada. I am married and have daughters 16 and 20. At various times I have been an Angora goat farmer, sheep shearer and mohair blanket purveyor and amateur felter. At all times, a lover of fedora hats. Now, in my free time, I work as a storyteller for children and adults, non profit groups and businesses.
I occasionally travel to Copenhagen and Svedala Sweden to work with my favorite dogs, Danish Swedish farm dogs. I mention that because I think I saw someone from Copenhagen posting here.
I have been reading the posts here for about a year or so and fairly recently uncloaked and began posting.

DivaDog

New in Town
Introducing myself

Hello all; fantastic site! I was a "lurker" for some time and signed up a month or two ago. I wanted to take a moment to say hello and compliment everyone on this wonderful site. I've gotten so much good information here! I live in southwest Virginia, and hope to relocate to the Washington, DC area in the future. Looking forward to seeing more great things here, thanks again.

MattStat

New in Town
Hello

Matt Briggs here. Manhattan denizen, numbers guy, creator of outrageous opinions, fan of Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, and Artie Shaw, advocate of fine dressing, player of petanque, and wearer of hats.

Thus, I was thrilled to find this board, and have already been impressed tremendously by the level of knowledge, amount of friendliness, and demonstration of skill.

I started clicking around randomly and somehow ended up in Beauty: Show us your hair do's and was amazed instantly by the creations of crazydaisy, deco_darling, chanteuseCarey, cherry lips, and many, many others. Incredible beauty, ladies.

I am happiest to find such a large group of men who wear adult hats. We are too few. It's gotten to the point, in our society, that when two men who are wearing hats pass each other, we are almost tempted to nod, or tip our hats in recognition that we are among the very, very few.

But of course you can't do that here in the city. People will think you're trying to sell them something.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
What ho!

Good day everyone!
I happily stumbled across the Lounge while doing an on-line search for three-piece suits, a form of apparel that is sadly (and incorrectly in my humble opinion) regarded as "old fashioned". I am glad to be supported in my view that nothing could be further from the truth!

I am currently a member of the Canadian Air Force, so my daytime apparel consists of blue, light blue with a side order of blue. This fall, however, I will be returning to the private practise of law and so look forward to being able to express myself in a more stylish fashion (pun intended). As I hope to remain in the reserve force, I will be able to express my bluse side in my spare time!

Miffy46

New in Town
Hello! Well my names Ella, i live on a tiny island off the north of Scotland called Shetland. We are very isolated so i spend alot of time online and vintage is my passion. Im an art student at my local college and im going on to begin a degree course in textiles this year. I, as so many did, found this forum whilst looking for vintage hairstyles.. so yeah, thats me!

Krystle

New in Town
Hey there! My name is Krystle. I live in Salt Lake City and I guess you can say I live the 1930s lifestyle. I started with the 40s when I was real young but found my real self in the 1930s. Everything I wear (from evening dresses to frocks to nightclothes) is all 30s; hair, shoes, hats, stockings...everything. Everything I read and the music I listen to is from the era and before. I think the internet is the only modern thing I do because there is so much out there to learn through it! I guess you can say I am crazy (and I probably am, I wouldn't doubt it) living like this, but that's all I know, really.

ZuckerBaby

New in Town
Hi y'all!

I just wanted to quickly intorduce myself! I've been luring on the site for a few days now and I must say, its a wonderful place to visit with lots of inspirations!

I'm just getting into the 1940s/1950s looks as my life has taken quite a change from what it was a few months ago. I'm currently preggo with our first little one (due in 3 weeks!!) so I'll be a SAHM for about a year. I've been slowly allowing myself to fall in love with the idea of being a "traditional" housewife and thus, my interest and love for the 1940s/1950s sprung up. Also, since spring/summer are just around the corner, lovely dresses have been calling my name even more so I cant wait until I can get myself into a few! :p

Anywho, I just quickly wanted to say "HI" and I cant wait to dive into the forums!

Cheers, ZB

jenacious

New in Town
Hullo! As a fellow lurker I thought it was about time to finally contribute; but it's been such fun to read these threads!
I live in Columbus, OH with a fantastic husband and 2 dogs. Ever since I was little I've been way into fashion, costuming, makeup, culture, society,history ALL OF IT. The first time I saw Grease on tv I ran upstairs and got out my mom's hot rollers to try to duplicate the hair styles I saw. Then she gave me her old cake of liquid liner to play with. It's been downhill from there. I was a costume design major in college, and have had many obsessions with vintage eras spanning the centuries. It's great to find like-minded folks!
xoxo
jeni

ZuckerBaby

New in Town
Newbie!

Hi y'all. I posted an intro in the Observation Bar (here) but I figured I may as well do a quick introduction here too.

I really love the late 1940s and early 1950s and take my inspiration from those. I dont live "the" lifestyle but I am dabbling in the makeup, hairstyles, mannerisms, and most importantly, being a "traditional" wife to my hubby. Thus far, I'm totally loving it :) and so is he, I reckon.

Anywho, I'm off to keep on reading the archives and catching up on the new threads. I love all the photos that you ladies post on here about your daily looks as I find it to be so incredibly inspirational!

Cheers,
ZB

ZuckerBaby

New in Town
swingkitten85 said:
Hello Ladies! I've been lurking on this board for some months, but have finally decided to join in the fun and discussions (rather than just read!).

I know some of you already from your blogs, but for those that don't know me... My name is Casey, I'm 23, married to my wonderful Sailor Husband, and live in Florida. I have had a fascination with past fashions for as long as I can remember; I was brought up on a diet of classic films from the 30s through 60s, so it just seemed natural to me to become interested in dressing the part! I must say, I'm much more comfortable in my vintage and vintage-inspired outfits than I am something I buy that is trendy.

My favorite era fashion-wise is definitely the 1940s, hands down. Although I do enjoy a good 50s dress and net petticoat! My style icons are women like Lauren Bacall, Rita Hayworth, and Claire McCardell. :)

Anyway, not to get too long winded! Thank you all for sharing all your wisdom and knowledge of vintage styles on this board! :)

Casey - I actually found your blog through this site and enjoy it immensly!! Just wanted to say "Hi!"

MrsMendez

New in Town
Hello ladies. I'm brand new here and have, of course, lurked around a bit before posting here. I'm 20 years old and currently live in Texas. I've always loved the '40s. From the hairdos down to the shoes. I've recently started styling my hair and doing my makeup in such a way that it reflects it. My fiancee has gone crazy about the look, calling me Mrs. Beaver everyday lol . I'm a stay at home girlfriend and come July, I'll be a housewife. I love to sew, crochet, paint and bake. I'm also a beginning knitter, but I'm terrible at it heh. It's wonderful to be here and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you ladies.

Cheers!

will333

New in Town
Long time lurker, first time poster

Hello all. My name is Will. I've been standing on the sidelines of the group for sometime enjoying and noting all the interesting things posted. I've always had a interest in the 30-40's era. The clothes, the cars, the architecture, the art, film, culture...everything. I know it wasn't exactly like its shown in the movies, but it seems to me to be a time when society was a little more "pure" than it is now. I can't really explain what I mean by that, but I'm sure if you're reading this you pretty much understand what I'm trying to say. Visiting this site for the past month or so has been a real pleasure and I hope that I can add to it in some small way.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I apologise for not introducing myself formally to everyone here. Truth be told, I did not notice this thread until today.

I'm an Australian unversity student in his twenties. I live in Melbourne, Victoria. I love history and old stuff. Anything old. Cars, music, guns, life, antiques, furniture, books, pens, watches **Deeeep breath** musical instruments, people, events, buildings, cities, clothes, accessories...that'll do for now.

I decided to join here because it looked like the kind of place where I could indulge my history fetish on...almost all levels.

I collect oldies music, classic pop, jazz and movie & TV soundtracks. Happy to share with whoever might want them. I also collect OTR (that's old-time radio) shows. Everything from action to comedy, horror to drama. I collect and repair vintage fountain pens (among other writing paraphernalia), and take great pride, comfort and pleasure from writing with them. I do a great deal of writing, and I go to great efforts to make my writing as flawless as possible...not something that I can say of every other person within my age-bracket. I cannot stand mistakes of spelling, grammar or punctuation and go to almost insane lengths to make sure that I don't make any of my own.

I enjoy comedies, war-films, dramas, family-friendly films, mysteries, but not horrors. I'm not adverse to "classic" films, and have watched a fair few in my time. The prerequisite "Casablanca", "Gone with the Wind" and a couple of the "Dick Tracy" ones, are just a few of the classics which I have had the pleasure to watch.

Quite happy to chat to anyone here about history, the "golden era" of the 1920s or almost any other period of history. I use MSN Messenger and Yahoo Instant Messenger and you're welcome to PM me to ask for my MSN and/or Yahoo IDs if you wish to talk.

I play the piano, and have done, sparodically since I was seven years old. I've played the piano regularly since the age of 17, I underwent no formal training or lessons, but I am able to read sheet-music fairly proficiently. My repetoire mirrors my love of history and it's rare that I'd play anything beyond the 1950s.

That's enough keyboard-clatter from me. Nice to meet you all, and happy to answer any and all questions. Don't be shy, I've heard everything. And I mean everything.

Yours,

Shangas.

Welcome to the Lounge!

I'd just like to put out a little reminder that there are a lot of things going on across the globe for the Fedora lounge members. A regular peek at "The Events Section" will show get-togethers and neat events going on all over the place.

With a little luck you may see something close to your home and get a chance to meet your fellow Loungers. You can also post an event nearby that might be of interest to your fellow Loungers and instigate a get-together!

There are rules as to an Official Fedora Lounge Event so keep that in mind but a chance to meet people that share our vintage passions is always fun.

Best wishes to you all and welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

DannyBoy

New in Town
Evenin' folks...well I guess it's morning now. My name's Daniel, Dan, Danny - everyone seems to call me something different. I'm a college student in San Jose, California, majoring in (well what else ;) ) history. I also have a part time job at school working for the police department.
I've been doing WWII reenacting for about four years now, and have had a life long love for all things old, antique, vintage, and what have you, from living with my grandparents for a good deal of my life. It's a great escape from today's fast paced "disposable" society, to a time where it seems like things made more sense, and the stuff you had was actually made to last.
I also really enjoy the music of the era, and collect 78's which I play on my WWII US Army Special Services record player, and my earlier portable Sonora.
I've visited this forum off and on for a while now, and decided to join. It's such a great resource, and my hat's off to all you members who've made this possible. I hope I can contribute what limited knowledge I have and learn a whole lot more. Thanks!

Dan

Mademoiselle.M

New in Town
Hi, my name is Matilda and I'm from Sweden.
I love the early 60's and the 20's (and i absolutly love the Georgian fashion aswell, but ah. that's much earlier :))

I've got about 40-50 dresses in my closet right now, and the most dresses are vintage and from the 60s :).

ah, that's about it I think.

TessTrueheart

Mademoiselle.M said:
Hi, my name is Matilda and I'm from Sweden.
I love the early 60's and the 20's (and i absolutly love the Georgian fashion aswell, but ah. that's much earlier :))

I've got about 40-50 dresses in my closet right now, and the most dresses are vintage and from the 60s :).

ah, that's about it I think.

Another Swede!! Hello!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot