Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

RBH

Bartender
DMc said:
g'day fellas - it seems like it's mostly blokes here, right?
I've been following this forum on and off for a few years, and while I'm no collector (apart from an office full of samples!) I am interested in Akubra chat. I was their wholesale agent for about 15 years in Sydney Australia, and now I work in their Corporate sales section.
I don't profess to be an Akubra expert, but I am keen to help dispel myths, sort fact from fiction, and to pass on useful groundswell up the ladder.
I select from a range of Leisure Time and Stylemaster for work, plus a motley assortment of broad-brims (Traveller, and old shantung Barcoo, etc.) for play.
Looking forward to having a chat.
Welcome! Glad you joined us.

billysmom

One Too Many
New lady member

Hi, y'all!

I've love hats all my life and am frequently told that I look terrific in them. I grew up around horses, so have brushed various substances from dressage bowlers to mult-X Western toppers. Living here in Fort Worth, I get plenty of opportunities to rock my Tanya Fe - when I get around to polishing the conchos on the band. I am blond and fair-skinned, so hats are also a health issue. 20 years ago my husband bought me my beloved Churchill Saratoga straw, which I still wear.

But recently I tried on and fell in love with fedoras! Which is how I found this forum. Unfortunately, I found it after purchasing an inexpensive Ultrafino-brand straw. (It will keep the sun off, but brings little joy.) But I soon took advantage of your collective wisdom and have ordered a superfino Optimo from Panama Bob.

I'm sure I'll OD on eBay purchases. I wear a size 6 7/8, so the selection on offer is not as extensive as if my head were not so petite. On the other hand, there's not as much competition, either!

I'll post photos as soon as I've reached my minimum number of posts. In the meantime, please continue to share your expertise - and your hats!

Sue

DMc

New in Town
munchausen said:
Just wanted to say welcome. I'm somewhat new to wearing hats but have enjoyed the past several months of reading on here. From what I have viewed of your posts on here regarding Akubra, it looks like you'll be one of those "wealth of knowledge" kind of members. As an Akubra wearer as well, I'm glad to have you on board.

Cheers
Munch
ps yes, seems to be mostly blokes. Are Akubra looking to expand their womens wear?

While Akubra is principally a manufacturer of men's hats, Australian rural, "Gen Y", and "Western Pleasure" women do wear a significant range of our styles. We cater to the ladies with some specific styles (Ascot, Cornwall), but have no current plans to expand that range.

DillyDolly

New in Town
New to Forum

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board here. I'm a collector and wearer of 1920's to 1940's fashion, jewelry, glasses, music, hats, purses and gloves. I even have some luggage from the era. I'm just excited to find this board and will be posting some of my collection as soon as I am finished here!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge to all you new members. Its a great place to enjoy a bit of relaxation with folks who mind their manners. You are going to enjoy it!

in/y

One of the Regulars
A Long Overdue Greeting

Greetings all! I've been lurking at the Lounge for sometime and now it's time to officially say hi. I'm Martin (though a few call me Marty), age 51, part-time librarian and full-time at home dad for my 2 kids from New Jersey (Pennsylvanian by birth).

I can't remember how I ran into this place initially. I've been into things "not of my generation" for as long as I can remember. I had a pile of 45's (that had belonged to my parents) and a kiddie phonograph since I was 3 or 4. So I've been enjoying the likes of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, and such ever since. One stand out 45 I remember (and still love) is "Cool Breeze" b/w "Manteca" by the Dizzy Gillespie Orchestra. Talk about early influences!

When I was asked what instrument I wanted to learn to play in elementary school, I chose the trombone because Glenn Miller played one. Still play a very little, and am way out of practice/shape on the horn.

Also enjoyed watching (American) Bandstand very early. Growing up in the Philadelphia TV market, we got an extra 30 minutes of Bandstand (it was always just Bandstand then) before it went out on the network. My mom said it was the best babysitter she ever had. She'd put me on my playpen in front of the TV and I'd hold myself up and bounce to the music...and she'd get to do a bit of housework and make dinner.

Other than music, I've been a fedora wearer all my adult life, started in high school off/on. Only wear vintage ties (with an added affection for tie your own bow ties). Love old movies especially b&w noir types, old radio shows, and more...you get the idea.

I'm looking forward to being more than just another lurker.

Here's me at age 4 with my phonograph. Close inspection of the photo tell me I'm cueing up Frankie Yankovic's "TV Polkas" LP...still have that one, some of the tunes are on my ipod.
recordplayer.jpg

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Brand Spankin' New

Hi all!

I have been perusing this site for a few months and have finally gotten the time to join.

I absolutely adore everything 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s but especially the 40s and 50s. I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada which is an hour west of Toronto. I just moved into the cutest apartment building built in 1932 with lots of space 10 ft. ceilings, hardwood floors, hot water rads, art deco door knockers and original hardware and lighting fixtures. I am in love.

I collect vintage jewelery, dresses, furniture, and absolutely adore Marilyn Monroe and vintage pinups and artists, esp. Elvgren. I have an abhorent amount of everything vintage.... rhinstone chokers, to 50's pencil dresses, 1940s vanity and dresser set, 1930s furniture, brooches, 40's platforms, gossip magazines, crystal ashtrays, Elvgren playing cards ....omigoodness I could be here forever.

I also do some pin up modelling when I can. I would really like to do this more and actually get a little more well known.

I just love everything from that era past and I am so excited that this is a forum where I can meet like minded people. I look forward to getting to know you fabulous, gorgeous people. All of you who long for a time when guys wore hats, trenchcoats and cufflinks and girls wore seamed stockings, garters and dresses. All of you who feel like you were born 75 years too late. :) cheers!

flashalee

New in Town
Hello

Hi all!
I'm Ashley. I have been lindy hopping for 4-5 years now, and collecting vintage recently. I have always loved the 30's-40's, and hope to add to the discussion here. :)

karlie

New in Town
hi!

Hey everyone,
I've been reading for a long time but have only been a member for a few months... I've posted a few times, but figured I'd say hi now! :)

klind65

One of the Regulars
Hello

Thanks for your kind welcome and enquiry about new members. I was accepted yesterday and am delighted to find other people with similar tastes and values. I really thought there were none! I know no one here in New York City. However, I should qualify that by saying that I receive fulsome praise and compliments from many people - usually praising my hats but also my clothing and entire "style", which suggests that many people disagree with the general collapse of standards which characterizes our era - but are not yet at the point of making obvious changes to their dress etc.
As for myself, I would say I am first and foremost an aesthete with a desire for things to be beautiful, harmonious and elegant. Accordingly, I am concerned with formalism, good form ( decorous manners) and comely presentation. I find most of my inspiration from films of the silent era through the 1950's. Sartorially speaking, I buy new skirt suits and dresses from traditional or "classic" retailers such as Talbots, Barrie Pace.com, Nieman Marcus etc. and have the waists nipped or the skirts lengthened when necessary. But truth be told, I always feel that, while I know I look good, it always falls short of the images I see in the films - still, what person, aside from society women or actresses, could compete with the MGM wardrobe department ! ? But I will try! I have decided to look for a dressmaker here in New York and buy some vintage patterns. One woman I contacted pleased me greatly when she said that there is a "movement" among ladies of good taste and high standards to return to making their own clothes or to employing dressmakers. Another good sign!
Another issue of great concern to me is the degradation/erosion of a pleasing set of social customs and riturals especially in the area of dating and courtship. In fact, does courtship per se still exist?? To give you an idea, here in my office building, I simply will not get on the lift after a man. Ladies MUST be first! I am glad the women's movement occured but I think it went too far ( as all such social progressive movements seem to do) and lost many of the delicious customs which existed between the sexes in the old days.
I would greatly enjoy hearing your viewpoints about the above. What aspects of our current era distress you the most? How did you get involved with an appreciation of/ prefernce for erstwhile eras?
Would love to hear from you. Kind wishes, klind65

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Greetings

Hello everyone, Phineas Lamour here. I am married to the lovely and talented LuLu Lamour. We reside in central Florida with our two children. We both enjoy all things from the 20s to the 50s. We are into gardening, knitting, classic cars, making food from scratch, hats, steampunk/dieselpunk, and about a million other things. I have found advice in the hats section very helpful and soon hope to be posting pics of a new/vintage fedora of my own.

babs

A-List Customer
Scott here.. You've probably seen me really running my yap in here. I've really enjoyed the forum. I just popped in to learn something about hats, but wow what a massive bank of information in here.. Looks like some really great folks also. Nice to be here learning what's good and what's great in classic hats, and slowly venturing into suits, etc.

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Greetings and salutations everyone!!! I am a 27 year old full time marketing coordinator, part time makeup artist, very part time pin up model. I have a love for everything vintage especially 40's and 50's. I just love the classyness and glamour! I collect all kinds of vintage items. I have lots of vintage rhinestone jewelery, dresses, furniture, table lighters....omigoodness so much and I adore it all, I look forward to getting to know you all and share and learn from all you like minded people. :D

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Hello there, everyone.

I have been lurking for a few days and I have finally plucked up the courage to post! I truly love the 1920s, 30s and 40s, particularly the 1920s and 30s (I am a big Wodehouse fan and I put this fascination down to being exposed to too much Jeeves and Wooster as a young child!). I suppose the appeal for me (apart from the aesthetic, which I love) lies in the fact that people back in the first half of the 20th century seemed to have standards that society on the whole no longer seems to have. People had pride and style and seemed to respect themselves and others in a way that modern culture does not.

I like good manners, black and white films (and a lot of colour ones!), Austins (wonderful motor cars), Agatha Christie books, Jeeves and Wooster, picnics, tea, men in sharp suits, good hats, baking and a whole lot more besides!

Hope that's ok! :)

50sGal

New in Town
Hi Ladies! Ive only just joined The Fedora Lounge and I honestly do not have a clue as to what Im doing!!!!!?
Im a collector of anything and everything from the 40s through 50s..
i work in a gorgeous little vintage shop called Frou Frou, which is extremley handy with my obsession of all things vintage!
I hope that I can work out how to use this site properly as I think it is Fab!!!!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Welcome

klind65 said:
Thanks for your kind welcome and enquiry about new members. I was accepted yesterday and am delighted to find other people with similar tastes and values. I really thought there were none! I know no one here in New York City. However, I should qualify that by saying that I receive fulsome praise and compliments from many people - usually praising my hats but also my clothing and entire "style", which suggests that many people disagree with the general collapse of standards which characterizes our era - but are not yet at the point of making obvious changes to their dress etc.
As for myself, I would say I am first and foremost an aesthete with a desire for things to be beautiful, harmonious and elegant. Accordingly, I am concerned with formalism, good form ( decorous manners) and comely presentation. I find most of my inspiration from films of the silent era through the 1950's. Sartorially speaking, I buy new skirt suits and dresses from traditional or "classic" retailers such as Talbots, Barrie Pace.com, Nieman Marcus etc. and have the waists nipped or the skirts lengthened when necessary. But truth be told, I always feel that, while I know I look good, it always falls short of the images I see in the films - still, what person, aside from society women or actresses, could compete with the MGM wardrobe department ! ? But I will try! I have decided to look for a dressmaker here in New York and buy some vintage patterns. One woman I contacted pleased me greatly when she said that there is a "movement" among ladies of good taste and high standards to return to making their own clothes or to employing dressmakers. Another good sign!
Another issue of great concern to me is the degradation/erosion of a pleasing set of social customs and riturals especially in the area of dating and courtship. In fact, does courtship per se still exist?? To give you an idea, here in my office building, I simply will not get on the lift after a man. Ladies MUST be first! I am glad the women's movement occured but I think it went too far ( as all such social progressive movements seem to do) and lost many of the delicious customs which existed between the sexes in the old days.
I would greatly enjoy hearing your viewpoints about the above. What aspects of our current era distress you the most? How did you get involved with an appreciation of/ prefernce for erstwhile eras?
Would love to hear from you. Kind wishes, klind65

Welcome to the Lounge. I'm new here too.

In answer to your request to hear other viewpoints I have to say that bringing back the dating customs from earlier decades is not something that appeals to me. I like the freedom we have now (I don't think the women's movement went too far and in some areas needs to actually go further). I'm not interested in restricting myself by conforming to earlier rituals. I'm much more interested in the style of those earlier decades combined with the social progress we have now. I want the best of both worlds.

The thing that distresses me most about our current era is that we no longer manufacture quality items. Sadly our corporations are more interested in making short term profits than in making quality items that last. I feel sorry for kids growing up now because most of them will never know what true quality looks like unless their parents are into buying vintage. Another thing that bothers me now is that we are repeating the gilded age where only the top 1% in the country are prospering. I enjoy the style of the 1920s and 30s but I've never been a fan of income inequality then or now. While I may try to dress like a millionaire from the 20s or 30s my heart will always be with the "forgotten man" showcased in movies like My Man Godfrey, Grapes of Wrath, etc.

I think my interest in the 20s, 30s and 40s originates from watching Hollywood movies when I was a kid. When you get down to it it's really all about fantasy just like in the movies.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Missy Hellfire said:
Hello there, everyone.

I have been lurking for a few days and I have finally plucked up the courage to post! I truly love the 1920s, 30s and 40s, particularly the 1920s and 30s (I am a big Wodehouse fan and I put this fascination down to being exposed to too much Jeeves and Wooster as a young child!). I suppose the appeal for me (apart from the aesthetic, which I love) lies in the fact that people back in the first half of the 20th century seemed to have standards that society on the whole no longer seems to have. People had pride and style and seemed to respect themselves and others in a way that modern culture does not.

I like good manners, black and white films (and a lot of colour ones!), Austins (wonderful motor cars), Agatha Christie books, Jeeves and Wooster, picnics, tea, men in sharp suits, good hats, baking and a whole lot more besides!

Hope that's ok! :)
Hello! I enjoyed reading your post. I am also a neophyte here, but find it rewarding to converse with people who understand my point of view - and a lot of fun besides. I LOVED what you said about values, respect, standards and pride in the first half of the 20thc. I'm constantly trying to explain this to people! When folks ask me why I am dressed so well, ( in the course of complimenting me) I have a standard reply; I simply say: " I feel simply being alive, having self-respect and respect for others is sufficient reason to dress well". Obvious, you'd think, but most people just follow sartorial trends without thinking and many don't see the old films. Like you, decorous etiquette and good form are two of the most important things to me. I cringe in my corporate office building where I work when I see men enter the lift before ladies or proceed through doorways before us. LADIES FIRST! But as I'm sure you know, in the old films you can see the correct form on beautiful display. I see you like hats. If you are looking for a good custom milliner, visit genaconti.com . She also has a vintage sensibililty and loves the hats of the Hollywood MGM era. Kind wishes, klind65

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Welcome

50sGal said:
Hi Ladies! Ive only just joined The Fedora Lounge and I honestly do not have a clue as to what Im doing!!!!!?
Im a collector of anything and everything from the 40s through 50s..
i work in a gorgeous little vintage shop called Frou Frou, which is extremley handy with my obsession of all things vintage!
I hope that I can work out how to use this site properly as I think it is Fab!!!!

Welcome 50sGal!

I love 40s suits and shoes! I bet it's hard for you not to buy your own vintage items! I know it would be for me. I'd be my own best customer.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hello!

I've noticed a lot of new members are joining The Fedora Lounge. Some of you have come forward and introduced yourselves, others are joining right into the many threads we have, and yet some are watching from the side lines. This is wonderful, I'm so amazed with how fast and greatly our community is growing. We have a great community of people, all who know something or another about vintage films, vintage clothing, anything about the vintage lifestyle even the vintage lingo.

First off I'd like to welcome all of our new members. This is a great place to share your vintage passion with people from all over the world. It would be wonderful if our new comers would take a few minutes to introduce themselves. Drop in just to say hi or go in depth and tell us all about yourselves. Whatever it is you want us to know about you, we'd like to hear it. What's your favorite era? Who's your favorite actor? What kind of fedora do you wear? How often do you dress vintage? The list of questions could go on, but I won't inundate you:)

Welcome new members! It's really great to know that there are so many other people around the world who share the passion for vintage that we Fedora Loungers do. I look forward to getting to know you. Each member who joins The Lounge has some knowledge to contribute. We appreciate all that knowledge, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Pull up a stool, join the gang, share your story, or just say hi. It's so very nice to meet all of you and I look forward to learning more about you, hearing more from you.

:cheers1:
Cheers!
Daisy
Thank you for your welcoming invitation. I have introduced myself in the powder room but shall do so here now in the Observation Bar. I suppose the term which defines me most accurately is "aesthete". My love for proportion, harmony, symmetry, consonance, euphony -in short what Nietzsche termed the "Apollonian" orientation - has led me to notice that precious little of it exists or is valued in our current era. I became disturbed by the degeneration of standards in nearly all areas of our culture, from architecture, art, education, language, presentation and especially formality, social etiquette and the code of the gentleman.

Our current cultural nadir became even more clearly defined to me when I researched previous eras and discovered how much better so much of the past was, and how wonderfully it resonated with me personally. For example, consider how ridiculous the staccato, impersonal, anonymous gyrating of post- 1940’s dancing styles compares with the impossibly romantic and seductive dancing styles which were popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries - they were visually beautiful and involved touching and closeness between couples. In architecture: consider the beauty, symmetry, complexity and charm of Beaux Arts or Georgian styles and the absence of the above in the anonymous steel and glass “boxes” of the Donald Trump era. But by far the most egregious example I always cite is the presence of the execrable phenomenon known as “rap” noise. Compare its misogynistic, nihilistic “lyrics” glorifying drugs and the criminal ghetto life to the unsurpassably clever and inspired lyrics of a Cole Porter. There must be something SERIOUSLY wrong with a culture that could produce the former. It seems our benighted modern times are beset by an idolatry of disharmony, vulgarity and ugliness with a glaring paucity of romance, imagination, charm and propriety.

I began watching silent and classic films and fell in love with the buildings, motorcars, clothing, music, language, formalism, etiquette – in short EVERYTHING ! Thereafter I attempted to appropriate for myself as much of it as I could. With this, I feel I have had much success. I found a custom milliner and began a hat collection, and ebay revealed itself to be an inspired source for lovely feminine gloves of the period. I bought new clothes but had them tailored to look vintage. (However, now I am investigating employing a dressmaker and buying vintage patterns). I’ve also been building my library of music from the 20’s 30’s and 40’s, which has brought no end of joy into my life and has prompted me to take singing lessons – with Judy Garland as my inspiration! Books have proved to be a wonderful source of nostalgia , so too biographies of famous people from the era. The films have inspired me to take voice lessons so that I may acquire the mellifluous voices of the stage and film actresses of the 30’s and 40’s. So, although I’d prefer to have had the dates 1905 - 1960, I have found, through my efforts noted above, that I am happily able to be IN this world, if not OF it.

What I would like to accomplish, which I have yet to do, is to meet like-minded people. Indeed, this website was a revelation to me; I had NO idea there was a whole subculture of enthusiasts of past eras! I welcome the opportunity to share and trade opinions, theories, resources, tips and advice with others of similar sensibilities. So glad the fedora lounge found me ( just by accident, browsing on the Internet one day) and hope to make many friends here. Thanks for reading! Kind wishes, klind65

DC3

New in Town
Good Afternoon

" Bartender, Scotch...a double"
Hi! Thought I'd drop in, have a drink, and tell you a little about myself.
"Thanks barkeep"
Not too much to tell really. Grew up on the wrong side of the tracks I guess. Ha, everyone says that don't they. Wonder what the right side is. Probably whatever side isn't yours. Parents were typical, always fighting. I left before finishing high school. If I had stayed I might of grabbed my Dads .38 and took care of the noise.....
All right all right...none of that's true at all. I had this Boggy voice in my head and just went off.
Here's the quick and dirty. Born in upstate New York, raised in New England, served 10 years in the U. S. Airforce including one year in Vietnam, married for 37 years, one daughter who is married, have lots of hobbies and interests, and got to this forum looking for another fedora.
I have my own website, www.dcrabtree.com , and I am currently trying to get my first novel published.

Thanks for reading and putting up with my sillyness
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda