Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi, first of all I'd like to say, Heeeer's Johnny!
Well I've been posting for a few months now but only just discovered this introductory topic.
I'm mid 50s and have been collecting old stuff since my teens when virtually nobody wanted it as it was just old stuff. Over the past decades I have owned old bikes and cars from the 1960s and WWII stuff from the early 1980s.
I dont take life too seriously, nor have I ever taken a lifestyle course in 'Vintage' living which can be a problem for some folks, I have my opinions but really they are just that. My opinions.
Now I mix old stuff with new, I have a few old things and a lot of new stuff so mix and match my moods.
So, what do I like? Old cars, old bikes
What do I love? leather jackets, fast modern sports motorcycles and even faster women.
What do I hate?Just people that say the 30s-40s-50s etc were better times when they have not lived the era.
Johnny T

Mithra Blue

New in Town
Hi, I am Mithra Blue another male newbie to the forum. I used the forum for years for advice on hats and now it is strange to come back and find that I possess some of the UK items that new forum members are now asking about. I am attached with two kids and a liking for the sartorial look. From goth(ic) origins, thru Indi, to film noir and now I've settled on just about anything that predates my birth in 73. Either way it is a hat a day and I am currently enjoying my christie's bogart in sable, with linen attire and tan boots. I have my fingers crossed that another Christies will come my way come fathers day. I am actually procrastinating from a Uni assigmnet and ought really to be reading papers. Before I go I would mention that 'Night of the hunter' is a great movie, and study distraction. I have an unhealthy obsession with music also, from classical thru jazz, prog rock and metal...Hi all

Andrés

New in Town
Hello:
I am Andrés. Though only now I have the time to participate actively in the Lounge, I first knew from it five years ago, when I was looking for a monocle (I only have bad eye-sight in my left eye). Though it might seem hard to believe, all this time I have longed for the free time and money to get something more than an eyepiece.

Even though I live in the capital city of Spain, and everyday go through its financial district, I am fed up with people wearing sleeves too long, pants too short and everything as part of lazy, if not hideous, pattern and color combinations, a conscience I have especially due to this forum. Add to that the sartorial, misterious hat-donning traveller that everyday rides the Metro at the same time as me and has inspired me through these years to appreciate the style of yesteryear and you will understand how happy I am to be close to finishing my Engineering studies while I earn my first real money in an apprenticeship. The time has come for me to quench my thirst!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Hi, I am sort of new. The first time I found out about the Lounge was in 2007 while on google looking for real everday WWII hair and make-up tips. At the time I was very new to vintage (1930's-1940's). And the Lounge showed up as one of the links on google. I learned ever so many how to dos and what to wear from everyone on the Lounge. Thank you everyone!
After years of trying to figure out who I was and never being happy with myself. I finally learned after all these years I was just a vintage person (if that's a word) at heart (even thought I still dig the 1980's). Thanks to myspace I found out there were ever so many vintage people too. I am so happy being vintage. I do not see any reason to be down on myself or ashamed anymore for being just plan old little me. 1930's, 1940's, WWII, and the early 1950's are my favorites.

vintagebobbin

New in Town
Hi there, I'm Sarah! I'm a vintage enthusiast and trying to sew up a 1940s wardrobe. My mom was the first to get me into all things vintage, we were always going into antique shops and buying old trinkets and looking up the manufacturer. I'm also a graduate student in Art History. One of the things that lead me to an interest in the 1940s was I did my thesis and focused my undergraduate study on restitution and repatriation of stolen art during WWII. The last few years I've been obsessed with 1960 culture and fashion, and I'm sure I'll get back into it, but I have a sudden interest in all things 1940! I hope I can learn a lot of tips on the board and thanks for having me!

orholy

New in Town
Hello to all those above me & those yet to introduce themselves. I've been lurking around for a while now, but decided to join after I relised the forums look much nicer than they do when google directs you to a topic.

I like 1920's, 30's & then taking a great leap 1970's items & then magpie around every other era. I love hats & it's great to see a community full of hat lovers, in the real world I've had minor hassle just for wearing a ordinary beret! I also love coats I live in the UK which means I get to wear them a lot! I've only got one new coat. I'd like a "new" old coat but I don't live near any decent charity shops anymore.

I hope I will be able to contribute to the lounge after all the hat info I've been soaking up. I do have the tale of how I took on the smell of mould & won.
Cheerio:)

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
Hi there!

Hello there people of the Fedora Lounge. I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Brandon, and I'm a huge fan of hats, suits, and all other vintage and old style apparel. Fedoras especially interest me. I've been learning a lot about fedoras and hats recently, and have been watching The Fedora Lounge for a while. The people on this forum seem very friendly and knowledgeable. I look forward to learning more and getting to know you all. -BP

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Welcome. A fedora is just the start of a lifelong hobby. Oddly enough, in today (2012) people tend to wear vintage stuff, but they call it "ironic". I have hats of all types and when I wear a suit, vest, fedora and dressy shoes, all inspired or at least worn in a manner appropriate for the early to mid-20th century.

For example, I was dining with my brother at the Bengal Lounge on Christmas Eve. It was quite bluntly, a restaurant with some class. We were both wearing fedoras (when we walked in, we took them off on entry) and I was wearing a 3-pc suit. Bob (my brother) wore a leather motocross jacket, an untucked shirt, tie and jeans. I suppose in our own worlds apart, we were both well dressed.

If you start wearing vintage, you will find a joy and culture that goes with being dressed appropriately and in a sophisticated methodology of dress. I never imagined about the people I'd meet, the compliments I get and the friends I join with because of my dress and adopted culture.

Good luck. Bievenue et bon apres midi.

Thomas

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Hello fellow loungers. There seems to be a lot of nice folks here with the vintage bug like me and after lurking around for a while and reading some of the forums I couldn't resist joining. I am a retro kind of guy, drawn to mens fashions from the 30's and 40's. Womens fashions from the 40's and 50's. Cars from the 30's. Big band music and vintage fedoras. I am a hopeless romantic and a gentleman at heart so this forum seems like the right place to be. Hope to meet some local lounge members for fun gatherings and vintage events here in Florida. I am a guitar player, blues, jazz, rock, folk, whatever and am always looking for people to play music with so if you play and or sing and want to get together I would be happy to hear from you. Thanks to all for making the lounge a fun place to hang out. I am glad to be here.
Mark

St. Louis

Practically Family
Good afternoon. I live in St. Louis, and I have been deeply interested in the golden era (for me, mid-1930s through mid-1940s) for most of my life. A few years ago I learned about the 1930s Lady in Amsterdam, and realized that there's a whole community of like-minded folks out there. I'm in awe of people who are able to create their own vintage world -- and she seems especially talented and dedicated. I've been lurking on this forum for quite some time, feeling (I have to admit) a little intimidated, but I thought it was time to jump in.

My main interest is in creating a mid-to-late 1930s environment in my own home--a tiny 1929 bungalow--and to find a congenial vintage community in St. Louis. Right now I don't know whether there is such a thing, but I suppose the best way to find out would be to start attending some dances at local ballrooms.

I've learned a great deal from this forum already and am looking forward to joining in the conversations. Thanks!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Welcome aboard, St. Louis!

As a native of the town where it's set, you may find this little gem of interest: http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/comic.php?comicid=1

It's a nifty little webcomic set in the roaring twenties in St. Louis that centers around a speakeasy and all the characters are cats! Why cats? Why not!

The lounge is a great forum and I'm sure you'll have a ball here. ::mixes up a Gin and Tonic and invites you to have a seat::

HISTDOC

New in Town
Hi, I am new to the Lounge and am thrilled to find some place where people are interested in what I am. I am mostly 1940/1950. I
also have an MA in History and am working toward my MA in Political Science, from here I hope to go on to Doctoral school. I specialize in the 20th Century. Oh, yes I am also a non-traditional student, 50 years of age and starting over! My daughter, who is 27, is also a
vintage person and she is the one who introduced my to the Lounge. Looking forward to everyone's discussions and learning new things!

Littlesarah21

New in Town
Hello all, I'm new here.
My boyfriend pointed me in the direction of the Fedora Lounge and I'm glad he did. I am needing help, tips and advice from members to help me with my recent venture. I am a singer in a 1940's tribute band, or will be once things get going. I have an old sure 55 microphone, I have arranged music from such greats as Glenn Miller, Ella Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee, I have a great band including piano, drums and double bass - The only thing I dont have is the finer touches to make ourselves a really authentic 40's group.
I already have a few dresses and have been practising the victory rolls, I have naturally red hair yet would like it to be more like the original beetroot colour but as I am in the RAF "extreme" colours are forbidden.
Also any advice on songs, I have quite a hefty repertoir list but Im open to more requests.
Looking forward to hearing from someone...anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner