Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Knitstuff said:
Hi all!

I'm Jen, living near Ann Arbor, MI. I just joined a few days ago, and found this thread and thought to introduce myself.

Happily married, 2 cats named Lilly and Archie.

Not really living a vintage life as yet, but I do tend to have an obsession with vintage cookbooks, which makes sense as I am a cook by trade. Other interests include knitting, sewing (as soon as I find the power cord to my machine, right now it's a "lost in move"), movies of the 30-40's, reading and general troublemaking.:p

Jen

Again, not all of us lead a vintage life. Its 100% cool to take what parts of things you like...and live those..leaving the parts you don't have interest in.

Granted...you still learn about those by being here....

mmmm cookbooks...I shall have to pick your brain and collection at some point ...as I tend to snap up all the old cookbooks at fleamarkets too....

Welcome!

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I suppose I qualify as a new member. Perhaps it's more of a "Long time lurker, first time poster" scenario but, nevertheless :)

Hi, my name is Kay and I was born in the wrong era.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Babydoll said:
My great grandfather Nickolai was from Bergen! He moved to the US in 1896. :)
Back in the old days, things got so bad here that a lot of Norwegians got fed up and left. When it comes to Bergen, i strongly suspect the weather had something to do with it. It rains all the time! Or it could be the local cooking, one of the must treasured traditional dishes is burnt sheeps head!;)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Actually, he was a fisherman. He was on a boat that put into port on the Washington coast, and fell in love with it and stayed. He came back to Norway to get his wife, and when she died a few years later he came back to get a new wife. He started courting an older widow woman, but when he saw her 18 year old daughter, he married her instead! That was my great grandmother. They had 8 children - the last when he was 72! :eusa_clap

We have a huge debate in my family: potato or Hardanger lefsa? :D

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Junior newbie :)

I should imagine that I'm among the youngest posters here, but I'm sincere at least :D

I came here through (I believe) a search on how to do vintage hairstyles, and lingered on the sidelines for some time, perusing the powder room mainly.

My love of vintage is very shallow and image based, mainly fashion and burlesque led. I'm looking to start performing burlesque locally by this summer, and wearing a lot more vintage! It made my day when a friend couldn't believe I'd been called a Goth, "because I always think you're more of an old fashioned, Marilyn Monroe type".

My main interests of this era are real life during WWII, that's been a long standing area of personal research and I aced my history GCSE :eusa_clap , the changes of the 1920s and 1950s for women's fashions and lifestyle, and old school burlesque. Oh how I hate when it's lumped in with modern stripping :rage:

Hopefully <strike>wasting</strike> spending time here will help me deepen and widen my knowledge, and help me lead a South Wales (and beyond)cursade to rid the world of young lads and ladettes and re-introduce ladies and gentlemen.

And hopefully make a few friends along the way :rolleyes:

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The new guy

Hello.
I guess your right Daisy. I am a new member and have been sitting back reading all the other members replies. Well, here goes. Name is Rocky (Yes really) I wasn't named after the movie or the squirrel. I'm a bit of the old school type. Both in dress and attitude. Something I learn from my old man.(last of the tough guys)
I work in a high school and seen it all. The Grunge look, hip hoop, tailer trash, goth,Pants down around the butt. Hate 'em all.But, things may have started to change. Students lately have been asking me where I get my clothes and my very cool hat. I wear a wool stingy brim fedora. (Yes just like Rocky Balboa but, that's as far as it goes.) Hopefully I my have started a new dress trend here in the frozen north. Oh yeah, I forgot to say I live in Fairbanks Alaska. A not to friendly place for hats that don't cover your ears. (Hey I told ya I was old school!) -Rocky

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Hey great pictures!

Mahinatakataka said:
Great shots!!!!!!!!!!! The Landis looks like a gem! I hope you have some good, committed folks working on this. And it opened in 1937? What a special year...

That's great about The Broadway in Pitman. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I need to get myself a good digital camera and start posting some pics here and maybe do a classic cinema threatres thread.

Thanks again! Cynthia
Those are great I'll have to show some of our theater here in Fairbanks.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Welcome! Always glad to have folks newer than me show up! ;)

Nice avatar, Knitstuff! What a great expression on William's/Nick's face. And just how I always think of that character - mid-libation!

Shearer

Practically Family
Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! I was bumbling around looking for an intro-type place...

My name is Kelly and I live in San Diego and work in Orange County. I found the Fedora Lounge while I was online looking for some 40's eyebrow shaping advice, of all things! (Let me say thanks right now for the eyebrow thread, ladies!) :eusa_clap

As for my vintage interests... it's everything from A to Z and in between from the '30s through the '50s. Fashion, language, music, furniture, style... you name it. I do have a soft spot for cinema. The Women, The Killing, and The Greatest Show on Earth(I can't help it, it's so corny I love it) are a few of my favourites. I also like to study World War II, mostly the European theater but I'd like to learn more about the Pacific seeing as how my grandfather fought over there.

That's just a few things about me. I'm glad I found this place, there's really such a wide array of people here, it looks like good fun.

Take care, all!
-Kelly

Shearer

Practically Family
Ah, HERE'S the all purpose intro thread! I've already been over in the powder room saying hello to the ladies.

I'm Kelly, 25, from Southern California. I'm all over the place in my interests really, but I've got some soft spots for World War II history and cinema.

I've always been drawn to the era for some reason I never figured out. I think it had something to do with growing up with my dad watching High Noon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre all the time :)

Anyway, I hope to be wandering all over the boards, so I hope to meet you all soon!

-Kelly

Rooster

Practically Family
Name of Mike from Davenport Iowa. 49 years old. Been lurking here for a week or so. I build flintlock rifles for a living. I've been doing "vintage" of one era or another since I was 23, mostly 18th century, that's where I picked up my profession. I dabbled in WWII reenacting a few years ago, but I look too old to be a private with grey hair!lol
I was mildly surprised to see one of my friends is already here, the Dutchman, another builder of fine flintlock rifles....small world eh?
My main hobby at this time is Game chickens. I raise Old English Games and exibit them at poultry shows all over the midwest.
I can't ell you how much I've learned here at the Lounge. I hope you'll all give me a leg up to get my act together. I GOTTA find a 30's era pin stiped suit!
Here's my "normal" look.
100_2397.jpg
[/IMG]

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Hi How are you, what do you know

well hi thier the name is Paratrooper and as you can guess I'm in to the whole WW2 reenacting thing, but I also do 30's era also 1630's Scottish so it's kilts and parachutes :eek: ok not at the sametime.
Outsite of that I work for a city cable TV station, and looking for a full time job as I just lost the last one after 8 years their....oh well time for a change.
A film buff (with a minor in film studies) avid reader and all around good guy (well my wife tells me I am)
As to why here looking to start anew and thought why not start with a hat and that 40's era look.
So that me
Later

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I guess I'm next? My name is Peter, I'm 24, and I'm in Oklahoma City. I found this site by either accident or fate yesterday. I'm a car guy, and was at my local Barnes & Noble looking for old car and motorcycle mags. They didn't have what I was looking for, and on my way out, I noticed Classic Style. I've always said that The Hat should make a come-back, so I picked it up and headed back to work.

While at work, I searched for the magazine's website, and that's how I found this forum. I must say I'm impressed. While I certainly don't live the vintage lifestyle like so many do, I'm a fan of being well dressed. My wardrobe doesn't reflect it (yet), but I'm slowly coming around.

I'm the managing editor at Oklahoma City's community social newspaper, so being well attired is part of my job. My first week there, the company purchased a tux for me, and I get a lot of use out of it attending gala balls and other social events for work.

Until today, I hadn't realized just how much I like classic style. I've always been a coat wearer and I love tailored clothing. I did ballroom dancing for 3 or 4 semesters in college and was a film minor with an interest in noir. I absolutely love reading Chandler and Murakami, with their hard-boiled styles. I'm a history buff with a passion for architectural preservation. I love old foreign cars. And whenever there's a vintage race in the state, I'm there. Hopefully next time, I'll be dressed the part.

In any case, my first order of business is to find a proper hat or two. I'm reading, learning, and having a blast. It's nice to be here.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Suppose I should...

I wandered in here by way of http://www.straightrazorplace.com. I've been lurking for a month or so.

Two trends in my life have intersected lately...growing disgust with an increasingly consumerist, plastic and digital world took a new turn when I decided to pick up a straight razor, and since then I've been incorporating more and more of the antiquated, obsolete and anachronistic into my everyday life. I suppose the whole thing started about four years ago, when I bought my first rifle, which was WWII vintage.

The second trend is that of simple transition. I recently began work as a schoolteacher, and with the need for a professional wardrobe it occurred to me that I had never learned how to properly dress myself. Finding the Lounge was very fortunate; the wealth of information here is simply astonishing. I learned so much in the hours I spent reading, not least of which what kind of hat I wanted. My gray Stetson Hampton accompanies me to work every day.

I still have much to learn, but so far it's been a lot of fun! My hat is off to all of you, and now that can be true in the literal sense as well!

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Good Day All

Hello Ladies and Gentleman
Thought I would introduce myself

My Name is Sir Royston Buckingham-Hurst and i reside somewhere deep in the countryside, England
I scare the locals and regulaly go peasant shooting ( well, they do get all over the place dont they??)

I like nothing more than derating the servants for the slightest error and I can frequently be found sitting in the drawing room, smoking a pipe, sipping a large Port generally talking gibberish...

I do have one of those new fangled website thingies.. although i confess to have no idea what they are for.. Personally i dont think they will ever catch on...
www.fogeygentleman.co.uk

I have even been known to buy and sell the odd item on that virtual auction thingy.. eBay.. Funny though i have looked in the back of this television monitor thing and I can see a little auction room or anything!! Most odd

Anyway, they tell me it has a very odd phone number. try calling them on..
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Fogey-Unlimited

Anyway, must be away.. being generally Pompous doesnt happen all by itself you know

pip pip
SRBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats