Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

K

killertomata

Hi, new here as well. I'm in San Diego, California, and frankly I don't get out much.

My favorite era is without a doubt the WW2 era in general. I dress the era when I can, vintage or just retro-look, often mixing it with the 50s or such. No matter what era I might be dressing in, I tend to look bereaved or a femme fatale. I like it that way. :)

My hair however, stays in short retro bangs and is super (past my bum) long in the back. I love having long hair and if I did cut it shorter... well it grows so fast, it would be pointless. I have been trying to roll my hair for years, and I cannot get the hang of it! So I end up with Bettie-like bangs most of the time and hair in a scarf or barrettes. One of these days I will get my hair to roll. Trying to grow out the bangs once again.

I adore swing in general, classic standard vocals (by the right singers), select modern swing, rockabilly, psychobilly, and old school goth. I do however prefer swing to all of the above. I also have a serious love of OTR (old time radio)- vintage radio programs, and collect and listen to them whenever I can. Been on a "My Favorite Husband" kick, which was Lucille Ball's radio show.

My boyfriend and I like to go out to see or hear swing bands and rockabilly when we can, but San Diego is woefully defunct of the former. And rockabilly shows are usually in venues which are very difficult for my disabled boyfriend to move around or be comfortable in (mike stands falling on a neurological injury=no fun).

If by chance anyone is in San Diego and can recommend anywhere that one can hear swing music live, do tell. I search on my own sometimes but I might be missing it.

:D

Edward

Bartender
be_lovely said:
Nothing wrong with a mixture of things to keep your spirit alive. I happen to be a huge "Rocky" fan myself. I also had my share of Patent leather pants with zippers, and goth wear, its all in the mood. And keeping the individuality alive.

You betcha! Whereabouts do you hail from? Chances are I know somebody, or at least somebody who knows somebody in the local floorshow cast.... it's a small world, Rocky. :)

Rica Chez said:
Where did you escape from?

Small town Northern Ireland. Ah, I love the old country now, and I wouldn't tolerate any of they English being derogatory about the place, but.... well, it's not the most tolerant of places if your look don't fit, ya know? Small town mentalities. That and for anyone with off-mainstream interests, it's just very hard to find much on the go - generally not enough folks even in Belfast to get much of a scene going.

killertomata said:
No matter what era I might be dressing in, I tend to look bereaved or a femme fatale. I like it that way. :)

Of course - why would you want to dress as anything else! ;)

My hair however, stays in short retro bangs and is super (past my bum) long in the back.

This made me smile.... I love it when folks "over there" use the word bum in its proper context.... :p

So I end up with Bettie-like bangs most of the time and hair in a scarf or barrettes.

Why anyone who could look like Bettie would ever want to look like anyone else is beyond me! ;) Heh.... I was at an event last night which included a screening of The Notorious Bettie Page (thin on character development - it's like the Ladybird book of Bettie Page - but beautifully shot, with a superb period atmosphere and real attention to detail in recreating Bettie's costumes, look, etc)... can never have too much Bettie P. :)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
killertomata said:
Hi, new here as well. I'm in San Diego, California, and frankly I don't get out much.

My favorite era is without a doubt the WW2 era in general. I dress the era when I can, vintage or just retro-look, often mixing it with the 50s or such. No matter what era I might be dressing in, I tend to look bereaved or a femme fatale. I like it that way. :)

My hair however, stays in short retro bangs and is super (past my bum) long in the back. I love having long hair and if I did cut it shorter... well it grows so fast, it would be pointless. I have been trying to roll my hair for years, and I cannot get the hang of it! So I end up with Bettie-like bangs most of the time and hair in a scarf or barrettes. One of these days I will get my hair to roll. Trying to grow out the bangs once again.

I adore swing in general, classic standard vocals (by the right singers), select modern swing, rockabilly, psychobilly, and old school goth. I do however prefer swing to all of the above. I also have a serious love of OTR (old time radio)- vintage radio programs, and collect and listen to them whenever I can. Been on a "My Favorite Husband" kick, which was Lucille Ball's radio show.

My boyfriend and I like to go out to see or hear swing bands and rockabilly when we can, but San Diego is woefully defunct of the former. And rockabilly shows are usually in venues which are very difficult for my disabled boyfriend to move around or be comfortable in (mike stands falling on a neurological injury=no fun).

If by chance anyone is in San Diego and can recommend anywhere that one can hear swing music live, do tell. I search on my own sometimes but I might be missing it.

:D

Very good. I have the "Swing Tanzen Verboten" boxed CD set that comprises your avatar but I have not listened to it yet. The liner notes stating the "inferiority" of German swing bands scared me a bit.

Edward

Bartender
Doran said:
Nice to meet you, Edward. A vibrant and verbal addition to our little world. Marvelous skeleton man pic.

You mean I don't know when to shut up? lol Dad always said I had a bad case of verbal dihoerrea! :p

Thanks for the compliment re the costume - it was a lot of work but worth it in the end! :)

K

killertomata

Doran said:
Very good. I have the "Swing Tanzen Verboten" boxed CD set that comprises your avatar but I have not listened to it yet.

I don't have that set- I used the avvy because I can't swing dance. lol I would love to hear that box set. I don't think I even have any German swing, but then it wasn't exactly encouraged, hence "Swing Tanzen Verboten"- however I do have a link to a page that has Nazi propaganda swing, which I haven't listened to yet. They used popular hits and snuck their Nazi propaganda into the lyrics. http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles/ I haven't heard any of it yet but want to from a historical point of view, most definitely.

It also has music for sale from Europe during WW2, what soldiers there would have heard had they tuned in to Dutch radio or such.

Edward said:
This made me smile.... I love it when folks "over there" use the word bum in its proper context.... :p

It comes of watching a lot of British tele. :)

fullfashiongal

New in Town
Hello Ladies. I created a user name a while back but never posted before due to being busy with graduation and what not from college (Rutgers U!). I just recently have become obsessed with vintage fashion from the 40's and early 50's. I would love to teach myself to sew so I can create my own vintage looks. Hopefully there are some New Jersey gals in here to get in touch with!

Edward

Bartender
killertomata said:
It comes of watching a lot of British tele. :)

Heh. They're funny critters, the Brits - but they do do good tv. At least, they used to..... the "reality" fad of recent years has done bad things. :(

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Hello from me, too. I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks now, slowly taking in all the collected info (not that I'm finished yet!). I was stuck on a user name, which stopped me joining earlier, but here I am.
I live in damp, gloomy OK City, in a 1917 house, with a studly hubby, a sometimes sweet 15-yr-old daughter, and assorted animals.
Most things old are irresistible to me, particularly '20's thru 40's.
I look forward to sitting back and learning more and more from the friendly gang here.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Hey folks! I've finally registered after lurking for at least 6 months. I'm a recent college grad (went to a women's college in Massachusetts, but live in the South) and love looking for vintage patterns and skirts (and shoes!!) in stores, so its a treat to read the threads here and learn from all y'all. :)

I've been planning to make some clothes with some vintage patterns- I have the fabric and patterns and even some half-done garments- the problem is finishing! Hopefully I will get my act together this summer and have some completed articles to post here.

ScarletAirelle

New in Town
Hello Ladies! I have been poking my head in for a long time now and finally I'm a member, :) I am 22 years old. My favorite eras are the 1930s to the early 50s. I work and go to college and have a horrible habit of buying too many shoes and handbags, but a gal can't have too many of either right? I have loved everything vintage for as long as I can remember. I look forward to meeting you all.

BOOMBEBE

New in Town
i would have to say that im probably the youngest one here, but i ador everyones hair and styles and ... well now im here.
how is everyone doing on this hot sunny day? its 103 today here in vancouver washington.:eusa_doh: hawt.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
JupitersDarling said:
Hey folks! I've finally registered after lurking for at least 6 months. I'm a recent college grad (went to a women's college in Massachusetts, but live in the South).

Hi there and welcome!

Which women's college did you attend? I'm a Mount Holyoke grad m'self.

Best,

IOF

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Hello one and all. My name is Matthew. I am thirty eight years old and reside in Kansas - I am transplanted as I grew up on the east coast in view of the NYC skyline.

I found this wonderful site through another member, "Moustache", JD. I have always thought that I was born too late. Perhaps it is because my mother is an antiques dealer and I always grew up with "old stuff". I would spend hours and hours going through boxes of things that would make their way into my mother's shop. From that, I started collecting old books and old photographs.

As the years have passed I have loved the style - fashion, art, architecture of everything from the Victorian Era through the Edwardian Era and right up through the 40's and 50's.

I think this is a wonderful site chock full of interesting folks. I look forward to spending some time here amongst you all.

Warm regards,

Matt

BOOMBEBE

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
Welcome, gals. You all have got me wanting to hear more, and to see picture of pets. :)
Ashley
:eek:
20061009-AnimatedSushiandKermit.gif

Vix

New in Town
Hi there! I just came across this site when I was looking for info on some of my Grandfathers' WWII items. I'm a recent grad of Ball State's theatre program, focusing on costume design. I started making vintage-inspired clothing a few years ago and now can hardly fit them all in my closet! (I think I got a bit overzealous!) I'm really excited about finding so many people that share the same affinity for vintage as me!

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
hello all

Hello all, thought I might as well post a "hello" in here even though I did register quite awhile ago and have made a couple posts I hadn't seen this area until now!

Well not much to tell I'm living in the pacific northwest and have most of my life. Currently a computer tech but I'm tired of sitting at a desk day in and day out and so I'm quitting and heading back to school. Actually going to be leaving Portland and heading east a bit to go to EOU.

Anyway my vintage tastes mostly revolve around hats and leather jackets (I've always been a sucker for leather jackets) and adventure/safari clothes. Growing up wandering around in the mountains I never was much of one for suits, but my Grandpa did give me my first fedora when I was oh 8 or 9. Oh I do also have a love for fine classic automobiles, motorcycles, aircraft and firearms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925