Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Hello all! I've been a lurker for ages, and decided it was time to join. Beyond the Golden Era and 1920s-40s vintage, I'm also interested in historical costume and apparel design (my major). Right now, I'm working on enlarging my vintage and vintage-inspired wardrobe, and feeding my growing collection of vintage "stuff". :) Hopefully I'll be able to share my love of the Golden Era with all of you - I've already learned so much by reading everyone's posts.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Hello Stranger(s)!

Well,

First off I want to say Hi to all.

I am a 17 year old (18 on 10-30) girl that is just crazy for just about anything classic. I have a slight distaste to modern movies (thanks in part to TCM) :rolleyes:

And don't really dress retro except for jeans by mybabyjo. But I mix styles and for now am comfortable in that.

I do want to do pin up when I am of age though. But I also have so much I want to learn and I think you wonderful ladies & gents might be just the ticket to start learning.

That is if you'll be as kind as to help me.

I've been meaning to join for-friggin-ever, but have been just too darn timid to try until now!

Thanks!

Be-Bop Baby

New in Town
Another newbie :)

Hello all,

My name is Christine, I'm 35 years old and and absolutely hopelessly addicted to the 1950's. I don't really remember when/how I first discovered FL. It must've been during one of those nights when you think to yourself "Ah just another ten minutes of surfing before I go to bed" and the next thing you know it's 2.24 a.m. :rolleyes: I went through a few "lurking" phases since then but now a very lovely friend of mine convinced me to come out of my lurkdom.

As I said before I looove the 50's, everything about it. I am collecting whatever I can. I have a fair amount of fashion and accessoires, some lovely charm bracelets, stacks of photo albums, scrapbooks and letters, kitchenalia, and whenever my bank account allows I add a little piece of furniture. Actually you find something fiftie-ish everywhere in my appartment. I love Ricky Nelson, The Everly Brothers, Connie Francis, The Kalin Twins, Johnny Burnette, the early Cliff Richard... and so on and so forth.

It's SO amazing to find a place like here. I'm thrilled!! Before I didn't know anyone else who's as obsessed with the past and now suddenly here you are.

Many regards,
Christine

cailinbeag

Familiar Face
Hi everyone,

My name's Jeannine and I'm a 31 year old Albertan living in Texas. I grew up with antiques and developed a taste for pre-WWII furniture (Arts & Crafts, especially Stickley) and housewares (I have a big weakness for kitchen supplies from the '30s. BIG. I'd sell my soul for a full set of FireKing Sapphire Philbe cookware) at a pretty young age. As I got older, I began to appreciate the style and grace of Art Deco and Art Nouveau as well, which have largely influenced the choices I've made in homes and the decoration of them.

I've only just recently embraced the fashions of the 40s and 50s. I'm a curvy girl and I find them much more flattering than today's styles, however for that reason, 30s fashion doesn't suit me very well. I'm not a purist, but I do enjoy incorperating these soft elements into my personal style. I'm further encouraged by my fiance (Bigddy31, you'll find him floating around here as well, although probably not in the Powder Room LOL), who is way better at all this than I am. He's also the one who put me onto FL. I sew a lot and he thought I'd enjoy what you ladies have to say. He was right. :)

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

Taggert

Familiar Face
Well I posted in other threads, but i will make my introduction here.

I am a 34 year old student, from Springfield Ma. I live with my grandfather whom I help with all the daily stuff, after my grandmother passed I didn't want him to be alone.

I recently decided it was time for a style change as it were. I'm your standard jeans/t-shirt kinda guy but I usually wear boots or black lace less slip ons. I always thought dressing up was more than just for special occasions. I have always been a huge fan of the past era's , 20's 30's, 40's etc. I love history and this site helps me visit those era's.

I found the lounge while determining weather or not a Fedora would still be in style, as I have always wanted to wear one but was not sure because I am a naturally shy person and was a bit self conscious about it. Low and behold how wrong I was to think that..lol. Turns out my Fedora doesn't fit me ..yet..lol, but my Tribly? and my Jaxon (I think thats what it is it's the one I am wearing in my avatar and in the mens thread ) does :D

This site has not only inspired me to take the plunge but has given me the confidence to do it with pride. My friends all love the fact that I am finally letting go of my fear and doing what feels right.

I am still learning the in and outs of hat/dress etiquette but with the help of the great people here I feel i will have no problems other than what hat to buy..lol.

Thank you all for being you!

Dave
aka
Taggert

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Taggert said:
... I live with my grandfather whom I help with all the daily stuff, after my grandmother passed I didn't want him to be alone ...

You are to be commended for living with your grandfather. That alone, speaks highly of your character.

Having spent considerable time caring for elderly family members, I can truly say that it is something you will never regret. Enjoy the time you have with your grandfather.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I agree wholeheartedly with Big Mans comment-you are to be commended for living with your Grandfather! This is a wonderful thing you are doing, and I'm certain your Grandfather is as grateful for your presence in his life as you are for his presence in yours. It does take a bit of courage to beging wearing hats that others aren't accustomed to seeing you in, but once you have donned them for a short while, you'll only feel odd if you don't wear one when you go out. Welcome to the FL!

freebird

Practically Family
Hi All,

Somehow I missed this thread earlier, but this is only my 2nd post, so I hope you'll forgive me.

About me, I'm a single guy, 45, most usually have a handlebar moustache. I am blind in one eye. My moustache and eye-patch combo had a little tyke convinced I was a pirate, but it wwas the day after Halloween lol. I am not the picture of health, I am diabetic, and do have to use a cane .

As far as vintage wear, I have a fedora and "may" be getting a bowler. I enjoy shaving with straight razors or vintage safety razors, using the wet method (soap, mug and brush). I tend to stick closely to the old scents old spice, bay rum and lucky tiger hair tonic.

I collect straight razors, safety razor, mugs, soap, brushes, smoking pipes and canes. My other hobbies are genealogy and ham radio.
that's all I can think of to waste space, other than I look forward to getting to know the people on here.
Tony

miss_elise

Practically Family
Hi everyone.

I'm Elise...I have an interest in 40's and 50's things, and I like to sew my own ensembles...I'm from Australia

Everytime I ask a question about Vintage things, I usually get at least one reply referring me here, so I thought I would join, so I can answer my own questions...

Looking forward to getting to know you all..

Cheers
Elise

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
Hi everyone.

I'm Elise...I have an interest in 40's and 50's things, and I like to sew my own ensembles...I'm from Australia

Everytime I ask a question about Vintage things, I usually get at least one reply referring me here, so I thought I would join, so I can answer my own questions...

Looking forward to getting to know you all..

Cheers
Elise

hi elise! i recognize you from lj. welcome!!

Aviator

Familiar Face
Greetings, all.
I am in my late thirties with a lovely wife, two lovely kids, and a dog. We live in Florida, where I spend time working on my house, making trips to the hardware to buy stuff to work on my house, and look through magazines for ideas to work on my house:p

I have been active duty in the Coast Guard for 20 years (I may make it a career, who knows), and I cheat death by flying the C-130 Hercules at the present time. I have an interest in film, wristwatches and aviation, among other things. I found the FL after researching info on a couple of Panama Hats I purchased in Ecuador, and found some of the most exhaustive info on the web here. Since I have always loved fedoras, classic clothing, and classic films I was hooked.

And this website has the things that attract me to other fora I frequent...bright people who are passionate about their interests. I enjoy any forum that I can learn something, and I learn something everytime I check in.

Mojito

One Too Many
Hallo all the new ladies - so lovely to see you all here (particularly another Aussie, Miss Elise). I'd like to send an especially warm welcome to the Be-Bop Baby, Christine! An old and dear friend, who always carries off a look with style...she was the absolute star at an event we both attended in which she wore an exquisite silk Edwardian gown. So thrilled you're here too - I think that the ladies in this forum will appreciate your eye for detail and passion for the social history of the 50s.

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking here for a fair while, and thought I may as well join in from time to time, so here I am. I'm a 26 year old attorney working in Sioux City, Iowa, and I live in Le Mars, Iowa.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a fedora for some time, and have recently jumped in with both feet. I have some hat-wearing time under western and outback lids, but that doesn't really work very well with my business attire, so I needed to get some dressier hats and found my way here. (I also found my way to COW for an Indy hat, but that's another story...)

Some of my other compulsive/material hobbies include fountain pens, scotch and beer tasting, and cigars, while my more active pastimes include weightlifting (I'm just getting into this, actually, so not competitive or anything, just for general strength and wellbeing), golf, pheasant hunting, fishing (especially walleye), boating, waterskiing, and snowskiing.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals better, and participating in what appears to be a bastion of civility, intelligence and taste in the wastelend of internet fora!

RBH

Bartender
rbbrock said:
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking here for a fair while, and thought I may as well join in from time to time, so here I am. I'm a 26 year old attorney working in Sioux City, Iowa, and I live in Le Mars, Iowa.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a fedora for some time, and have recently jumped in with both feet. I have some hat-wearing time under western and outback lids, but that doesn't really work very well with my business attire, so I needed to get some dressier hats and found my way here. (I also found my way to COW for an Indy hat, but that's another story...)

Some of my other compulsive/material hobbies include fountain pens, scotch and beer tasting, and cigars, while my more active pastimes include weightlifting (I'm just getting into this, actually, so not competitive or anything, just for general strength and wellbeing), golf, pheasant hunting, fishing (especially walleye), boating, waterskiing, and snowskiing.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals better, and participating in what appears to be a bastion of civility, intelligence and taste in the wastelend of internet fora!
Welcome to the Lounge!!!
I am a Brock also... the B in RBH :D
That was my grandads last name.

Anyway hope to see some photos of that fedora over in the hat section.
Once again welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself.

Taggert

Familiar Face
Big Man and JohnnyGringo:
Thank you, alot of people do not realize the difficulties with living with elderly people. I took care of my grandmother for 3 years before she passed last October, it was hard but I am glad I was there. My grandfather is a old school workhorse, so he doesn't sit around or anything, but he cannot do it all by himself. (Just tonight he called me to remind me to put my car in, then said oh by the way I washed and waxed the car and dressed the tires....:eek:) He doesn't know the word quit.

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
jtcarrey said:
Hey Lili, you live in LA? cool, me too!! You should go to the Cicada Club on Sunday evenings, go to www.clubcicada.com for info, it's awesome, and a beautiful place, I think you'd enjoy it :) a few of us on the forum go there!

I went to the cicada last night..It was wonderful and cant wait to go there again...I know my significant other would love it too!! hope to meet all of you L.A gals there..i fell in love with the place...thanks for letting me know about it...
=Lili=

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
Woohoo!! Great to hear you went :) If you and your S.O. go next week, there is no cover charge, in other words, free!!! So definately bring him along! If you ever want to talk, I'll be there, I'm usually there every sunday, I have blonde hair (bleached lol) and I might be wearing this vintage looking dress I bought today, anyway, contact me on myspace if you wanna talk! :) that goes for anyone!

Vivienne

New in Town
Hi there, I am Vivienne Van Damme and I found this site looking for pictures of hats. Lurked a little and decided to join, because who doesn't love hats?

I'm a single girl who's into the twenties, thirties, and forties, although I wasn't around for any of those, and I love radio, old films (and silent films too), old television shows, and music from jazz to big band. I also like makeup and dresses, although I don't wear the latter very much because my daily routine requires bluejeans.

And I hope I don't step on any toes while I'm here...

(Edit) Oh, and I'm 16. Everybody else was putting their age so I figured it was no harm to give mine either. 6.6

Burnsie

where are my manners?

So I'm new in town and haven't introduced myself...I play ukulele in a skiffle band, I'm nutty about western swing and hot jazz, I love pre code movies and old horror films, and my personal style alternates between "I'm an Okie heading west to find working picking fruit in the 30s" and "I'm a flyboy who just got back home, it's 1946, time to live happily ever after..." I'm headed to Reading for the WWII weekend in June and then it's off to a couple music festivals with my skiffle boys...then who knows, maybe living happily ever after...?!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo