Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I found the Lounge about 4 years ago when I was researching my first fur felt hat. After lurking for a while I joined and just when I started to post my dad started having health problems. Sad to say we lost him in 2007. Being the oldest child and closest geographically to my mom I took on the maintenance of her home as well as mine.

Just when I got a handle on my new responsibilities my mom went in to the local hospital to have surgery on her back. This was to allow her to travel and enjoy life more. We did not realize until it was too late that there is quite a bit of turmoil in the health care system here and due to apathy, incompetence and greed she died in the hospital. What an ordeal!

We then had to settle the estate. With some of my inheritance as a nice downpayment my wife and I just finished building a lake home in my parents honor at an old resort (being sold off as condos) that we had gone to for thirty years for one week every summer. We made lemonade out of lemons.

The place turned out FANTASTIC and will be passed down to our kids and will hopefully be enjoyed by many generations.

I tell you this not to evoke sympathy but to let everyone know that through it all it really helped coming here for a little escape from the nightmare of the past three years. I love hats and the golden era like many here do but it is the positive well mannered people here that makes this place great. Bet you didn't realize how just being yourselves can make such a positive impact on others!

Anyway thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting into my new routine where I will have more time for posting!

Hi everyone,

I found the Lounge about 4 years ago when I was researching my first fur felt hat. After lurking for a while I joined and just when I started to post my dad started having health problems. Sad to say we lost him in 2007. Being the oldest child and closest geographically to my mom I took on the maintenance of her home as well as mine.

Just when I got a handle on my new responsibilities my mom went in to the local hospital to have surgery on her back. This was to allow her to travel and enjoy life more. We did not realize until it was too late that there is quite a bit of turmoil in the health care system here and due to apathy, incompetence and greed she died in the hospital. What an ordeal!

We then had to settle the estate. With some of my inheritance as a nice downpayment my wife and I just finished building a lake home in my parents honor at an old resort (being sold off as condos) that we had gone to for thirty years for one week every summer. We made lemonade out of lemons.

The place turned out FANTASTIC and will be passed down to our kids and will hopefully be enjoyed by many generations.

I tell you this not to evoke sympathy but to let everyone know that through it all it really helped coming here for a little escape from the nightmare of the past three years. I love hats and the golden era like many here do but it is the positive well mannered people here that makes this place great. Bet you didn't realize how just being yourselves can make such a positive impact on others!

Anyway thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to getting into my new routine where I will have more time for posting!

Hi Mark,

My wife and I have been through some of the same issues with parents and family, so I can relate. I, too have found this an amusing and relaxing place to visit, in addition to stoking my
hat habit.

Glad to hear you now have a retreat for you and your family.

Tatude

New in Town
I owe a quick post as this site was very helpful in helping make a hat selection. Always remembered my Grandfather smoking cigars while wearing his fedora. While I picked up the cigar habit a long time ago just bought my first hats. I play poker and saw someone wearing one and I liked it as an option to a BB cap. Ordered several online and finally settled on two Dobbs Glenwood grey blk and a black Borsalino Bellagio. No photos yet but I'm very happy with the hats and this site was invaluable. Always liked art deco things so it was a matter of time before I got a proper hat.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Three threads scattered around the Lounge have been merged into one. We like for everyone to meet our new members and get out and about in the other forums. So we welcome our new members here! :)

A big hello to all of the people that have recently joined the Fedora Lounge. I'd like to welcome everyone.

A couple of quick pointers for you all. They've made some recent changes to the forum and that is taking some time for some of us to get used to here. I believe that the 15 post rule is still in effect. What's the 15 post rule? Well it is a milestone in your activity of posting as it brings you into a more vested interest area and opens up some more abilities for you.

One is that at 15 posts you can then use the Private Messaging or PM as it is called here. I also understand that there are other parts of the forum that open up too.

I have been told that the EVENTS section also comes into view then. The events section is an area I'd heartily suggest for all of the members. If you check it out you may find a Fedora Lounge or other event that's close by, that you can come to and get to meet fellow members in person. Also it is place where you can post vintage focused events in your area, from old car museum meets to swing dances to WWII re-enactors to what ever that has a vintage aspect to it.

Best wishes to everyone!

sulla

One of the Regulars
Howdy from Indianapolis, IN. I bought my first hat - a crushable $20 Burlington wool fedora about 10 years ago (since given it to my dad) because it was brown like Indiana Jone's ... Yeah I know. Then I bought myself an Akubra Fed IV Deluxe open crown and basshed it myself. I am now shopping for my second lid and decided to finally join this forum instead of lurking.

hat1.jpg

gpotski

New in Town
I just joined as well. Picked up a Stylemaster Akubra as my first fedora. I love these hats.

008.jpg

Cheers!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Greetings all,
I discovered a community of like-minded individuals while Googling about the Clifton's Cafeteria in Los Angeles and decided to stick around. My wife and I moved to Moscow, Idaho about seven years ago from southern California. Our blood still has not thickened enough to not feel cold in the Idaho winters but we love it nevertheless. We live in a house built in 1947 (I know because I found a note inside the wall when I was remodeling the bathroom) and I try to pick up era appropriate furnishings whenever I can find them for cheap (thrift is a forgotten virtue of the past that we try to hold to) at thriftstores or yardsales. Like many have expressed I was always drawn to a time slightly before mine. I can't explain why but probably had my first inkling through the music of the 1920s thru 1950s. I've enjoyed collecting old neckties since I got a few from my great uncle when I was 12. I haven't really gotten into hats much before now but, after seeing some of the nifty ones on this forum, I may keep my eyes a bit more open for the right one(s) to find me. I'm looking forward to seeing your collections and learning more about this golden era we all love.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Hi everyone, I'm Jen... Another lurker who finally joined! Mostly a 40s lover, but can swing a decade either way :)

I love love love knitting and sewing my own clothes, film noir and swing (just recently started going to a few 40s dance events round my way in England so trying to learn some steps!). Thoroughly enjoying The Lounge, it's completely inspiring!

Jen,

Just noticed you're not too far away, in Peterborough, so thought I'd say hi! 40's, 50's, 60's for me, also love swing and the big band sound, too. Good luck with the dance lessons!

Danny O

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello Everyone!

I'm really excited to meet everyone, I've been lurking on this forum for over a year and I've learnt so much. I finally decided to take the plunge and join!

I enjoy fashion and home style from the 1930s-1950s, as well as cinema and media (including advertising) from that time too, but I particularly am drawn to the late 30's and early 40's. I've been described as "domestic" in the past because I like to do things that make a "home" in my spare time- i.e. cooking, baking, thread crochet, decorating, etc. I also am interested in Victorian homes and life in addition to the golden era. I love old things, and I have a great respect for older things and the people who loved them. I love old homes, and I hope to always live in one.

I am mainly fascinated by the the golden era because it represents so many interesting things: when fashion looked good (and dressing up and caring about your looks wasn't seen as unusual) and when houses and items were built to last and be repaired (rather than be thrown away).

I look forward to meeting you all!

TheLibrarian

New in Town
Howdy all,

I'm a 40s and 50s fan - and it's the cars that got me into the fashion. (Anyone have a '41 Packard Darrin they want to part with? No? Didn't think so. Unfortunately.)

My thing is hats. I have more hats than any one woman could possibly need. And I am always looking for more.

Glad to be here!

Donny2guns

Familiar Face
Hi all I'm Russ from MN and like many of you am drawn to the days of the first half of the 20th century. I am an avid history buff. I lean Towards the 20's and 30's and have often felt I would be more at home living in those simpliar times. I have many fedoras (mostly Scalas) but am now hunting for the vintage hats. My first real vintage was/is a Stetson Deluxe. I also have a nice Dobbs. Just thought id introduce myself.

59KUSTOM

New in Town
Hey, Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm trying to post some more, but I can't seem to figure out how to post pics. I tried the search, but it wasn't much help. Is there a thread about it on here somewhere?
Thanks,
Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui