Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

NanaJen

New in Town
Jen,

Just noticed you're not too far away, in Peterborough, so thought I'd say hi! 40's, 50's, 60's for me, also love swing and the big band sound, too. Good luck with the dance lessons!

Danny O

Hi Danny! Nice to meet a vintage local :) Events seem a bit thin on the ground round here at the moment, know of anything happening?

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Hi Danny! Nice to meet a vintage local :) Events seem a bit thin on the ground round here at the moment, know of anything happening?

Hi Jen,

I agree, events are a bit lacking at the moment, the time of year doesn't help though. The spring and summer are always better, and I always go to the "Goodwood Revival", which is down near Chichester. Don't let the fact that it's biased towards motorsport put you off, it is so much more than that!

There was also a new event at Goodwood this year, called "Vintage at Goodwood". I didn't go myself, as I was on holiday, but I've heard good reports.

Here's a couple of links:

www.goodwood.co.uk/revival/welcome.aspx
www.vintageatgoodwood.com/home.aspx
www.milkcow.co.uk
www.rhythmriot.com

You seem to have had some luck in locating some swing dancing around your area, I'm still looking here, but without any joy, at the moment.

Cheers,

Danny O

Lily Scarlet

New in Town
Hi everybody, I'm Gerda from the Netherlands.

I'm a girl in my early fifties and my passion for vintage clothing has resulted in having my own web shop and retail shop in Rotterdam where I sell vintage clothing, but most of all my own handmade 40s and 50s women's clothing.

My website is lilyscarlet.com. (I'm not trying to spam the board, but take a look, I think you'll like what you see).

I don't have a lot of time to read and post, but will drop in as often as I can, promise!

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
Hello everyone,

I'm new and very happy to be here.

I'm fascinated by the 1930's and 1940's and their architecture, home furnishings, clothes, accessories and cars et al.

I have a small collection of film noir which is my favorite genre.

I'll be seeing you.

rolo

New in Town
a very quick hello

i couldnt see introductions and i love the tagline of this specific forum so i thought i would say hello here!! im rory, or rolo, and i couldnt be happier to have found this forum, quite by accident i have to admit but right up my street. really am excited to get chatting about fashion etc, this is my kind of style but i do struggle sourcing clothing particularly accessories that suit me.
look forward t omeeting everyone... R

Dear new members!

There is a section that you may not be able to see until you have hit the 15 posts level. That section is the Events Section under the Community area. It comes up just under the Observation Bar in most displays.

I wanted to let you all know that in the events section we are starting to plan for the 2011 "Adventure Aboard the Queen Mary" for a weekend in May of 2011. It's an annual event where we try to get a bunch of members from all over to visit the Southern California area. In many ways this event is almost like the annual "convention" for the Fedora Lounge. I believe it goes back 8 years or more an is one of the longest running annual Fedora Lounge events that the members have kept up every year. Originally it was an October / November event but was moved to May to try to eliminate bad timing conflicts with other events.

I hope you make enough posts to get to the section and read about this very fun event as well as others listed there!

Best wishes!

ann of arc

New in Town
Hello all,

please allow me to introduce myself. this is my first post though i have been poking around on the site for a little bit now (which i stumbled upon while looking for advice on reshaping vintage hats).
i am in my 30's, spent my formative years in montana and live in brooklyn now.
i would generally say i favor the 30's and 40's, especially when it comes to movies and fashion.

well, i guess that's about it!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hello all,

please allow me to introduce myself. this is my first post though i have been poking around on the site for a little bit now (which i stumbled upon while looking for advice on reshaping vintage hats).
i am in my 30's, spent my formative years in montana and live in brooklyn now.
i would generally say i favor the 30's and 40's, especially when it comes to movies and fashion.

well, i guess that's about it!

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I'm one of the new guys around here. I found the Lounge when web surfing, trying to learn if I could convert an old cowboy hat into a new fedora. I have since become a member, and have nearly completed my hat conversion, all I need is a new sweatband and ribbon!!! I love hats, and I was a bit surprised and excited to see there are quite a few 20-somethings here as well keeping classy hats alive.
I love history, and ever since I can remember I've been obsessed by the world and age I discovered when I read my first Dashiell Hammett book (age 7 I think). I'm a musician, singer, songwriter, as well as turning my hand to many other arts including silversmithing, fine art, cartooning, and messing about with Hats!!!!

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Ev'nin' folks,

Another case of a vintage search ending at your doorstep. I'm really into the big-bands (I myself play saxophone, clarinet, and guitar), antique shopping (although the best finds present themselves when my wallet is empty, which is a fairly common occurrence), and, well, all the things that have brought you here. I've recently moved to the northern-most part of NY, and have yet to find a place to dance that doesn't involve a lengthy road-trip.

So...as a new member, where do you suggest I start? Thanks to all, I look forward to meeting you in time.

- Kevin

...Before the atom-bomb, there was the bat-bomb: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread88600/pg1

MissMittens

One Too Many
I suppose I should post a little about myself in the introductory thread, so here goes (donning formal dress):

It is very nice to make your acquaintance, and I would like to thank you for allowing me into the lounge. My name is Darryl, and I am a pond-hopping British 30-something and have been interested in the period 1930-1950 for the majority of my life. Between the years of 1999 and 2005, what started as a hobby in WW2 militaria became a fully-fledged flight jacket restoration business and part-time movie consultant, that ended up taking most of my time even though I also had my own IT services corporation. As the economy changed, and I got married to someone who turned out to be not-so-understanding, I closed the company down, shuttered the doors, removed the website, and stopped attending events. I still occasionally paint over leather, but not as often as I used to.

Some of my old work:
tigers.jpg

patches1.jpg

I recently became interested in the period again after finding things I didn't know that I still had while perusing the contents of my storage unit, and here I am now. While my business focus was predominantly WW2, I am actually interested in the music, civilian clothing, and transport of the era, and am glad that I found the lounge where I can meet new people who share the same interest, hang out, smoke a cigar, drink a gimlet, wear a fedora, and not get stared at or called "weirdo".

Well, maybe I'll still be called a "weirdo", time will tell ;)

martinsantos

Practically Family
I'm around for a week, bot I think it's still time to write something about myself!

I live in São Paulo, Brazil. That's why my English is far from perfect, have a little patience with it (brazilian language is Portuguese).

I always had a big interest about 40s, because movies, music, literature, etc, etc, etc. A question of style, ever from my own teens (I'm 33 now).

My hobbies are radio restoration and photography. Photography I like the "candid way" in taking. Of course I do not get 40s images - but I think i can get the spirit, and I like this.

I found the lounge by a link in a youtube video, and loved it. There aren't a lot of people to talk about these themes here, so that's a brilliant way to have contacts about things I like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko