Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

VintageConnoisseur

New in Town
Hi, I'm Mason and I thought I was the only 16 year old interested in this sorta thing. Boy was I wrong! My dad was a neo-rockabilly in the 80's (and still is -.-) and I grew up around the Stray Cats and such, and so I was always into the 50's rockabilly thing (not the modern stuff you see though). Just recently I've gotten heavily into the 40's and I've begun to expand my knowledge on all things vintage and this is obviously the place to go, so yeah!

Red Tractors

New in Town
New member checking in.

I've been a history nut my entire life, have always felt I had been born about 60 years too late. My Parents home, growing up, save for the console TV in the living room (Five stations!) was very little changed since my Great Grandfather had last remodeled it in the 1930's, right down to the claw-foot tub. My Grandmother's home next door was little changed from 1958. My Grandfather's 1963 Mercury was, and still is, in it's place in the garage. Mom and Dad have always surrounded themselves with antiques. Grandma and I spent hours watching classic movies and 1950's TV.

My inborn pack-rat instinct led me to become a collector, my love of history led me into historical preservation. (Current President of a small ish 501c3 in the process of restoring two 19th century railroad stations.) Plus I'm slowly equipping the family farm with a period perfect set of ca.1950 equipment.

I never even attempted to keep up with clothing styles myself, My formal education is somewhat lacking, and I've mainly worked blue-collar jobs where practicality dictates the uniform. Leading a historical society and gradually building a sideline as a semi-professional Photographer has required me to improve my wardrobe somewhat. I have a deep distaste for the blatant slovenliness that has overrun the nation. I'm also somewhat reserved unless I'm in the company of friends. This naturally led me into more casual research and thrifting. Vintage however is difficult when you are my size. Guys my size wore their clothes out.

I might be a borderline hoarder, but it comes in handy when things are needed for display or educational purposes. I might be the only person in my area that could supply 1940's/50's fishing gear for 15 people or build an entire ca. 1950 campsite. Or, for that matter, supply a half dozen rotary phones, display a vintage racing bicycle from 1968 (Very much still cycling's classic era), talk for a half hour about 50's Timex Marlins and Viscounts. Ponder the merit's of various Parker fountain pens (My favorite is a 1945 "51") or any of a dozen more subjects (tools,guns,books,furniture,houses,trains,streetcars,cameras, ect) the modern world might not quite get. I'd be perfectly happy chasing steam locomotives in a '55 Bel-Air with an Argus C3 on the seat beside me loaded with Kodachrome 25 :D

As a natural hat person I have fallen under the spell of the Fedora, and I must have the face/build for them because In an area where I should be getting all sorts of odd looks, the reaction to my hats has been surprisingly positive.

LaVeeEnRose

New in Town
Hi everyone, I'm Victoria :) I've had a swell time lurking about, so I thought it better to come out and join the fun! For starters, I'm a twentysomething college student whose always had an admiration for old-fashioned glamour/music/movies/values,etc. I love both the French Rococo and Victorian periods, as well as the 30s-50s. I find that for the most part, the 1940s style (among other aspects) fits my sensibilities to a tee (and is not too difficult to incorporate into my everday wardrobe) and I'm always collecting and/or researching for sheer enjoyment and to meet my long-term goal of being a purist (while I've learned that it won't happen tomorrow, I'm enjoying the ride)! I'd like to say that, for me, it's not just about hair, makeup, and clothes (all wonderful, of course!); it's about history and imagination :)

Last edited:
Wow! some interesting folks signing up here! Red Tractors, you need to check out the hat section if you're into fedoras, and from reading your post I would never guess you lacked much in formal education.
Welcome folks.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Hello Lauren! I found the FL while following links to one of my favorite films. The links led me to a post here, and I am sooooo thankful! This site is a dream come true for me. I'm originally from Southern California but now living in TX. I've also lived in 3 other countries and 3 other U.S. states.My favorite eras are the 20s-40s with the 50s running a close 2nd.I'm also a self-proclaimed Victoriophile (LOL... lover of all things Victorian). I'm a hoofer and classic jazz singer/pianist.

I really hope to connect with others to plan local and non-local events and outings. I'd love to visit NY or Chicago just topatronize or spend time with other loungers. I'm a high school English teacher who's described as being unique, weird,
unusual, and fun. And I teach my students to love b&w films :)

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello. I did not read all 392 pages, but did not notice any guys posting, so maybe I am breaking the ice here! Weeeee!

My name is Daniel. I live in Michigan and found the Fedora Lounge while scurrying the internet. From what I can read so far, it seems like a really great group of people that are on the site, and have a lot to share with everyone else. Refreshing as it is to just read and enjoy information and see the friendships that have developed over time. Years ago I was the President of a car club that had some similar qualities, but alas, everyone seemed to move on in life and we exist no more (well not as a club)! LOL! The woman in my life is getting to find some interest this site, I will hope she will get on it soon herself.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hello. I did not read all 392 pages, but did not notice any guys posting, so maybe I am breaking the ice here! Weeeee!

My name is Daniel. I live in Michigan and found the Fedora Lounge while scurrying the internet. From what I can read so far, it seems like a really great group of people that are on the site, and have a lot to share with everyone else. Refreshing as it is to just read and enjoy information and see the friendships that have developed over time. Years ago I was the President of a car club that had some similar qualities, but alas, everyone seemed to move on in life and we exist no more (well not as a club)! LOL! The woman in my life is getting to find some interest this site, I will hope she will get on it soon herself.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay. I think most of us guys simply ignored the newbie thread and started posting somewhere (normally about hats, but sometimes other things. I think I started with moustaches). That, and this thread may have originally lived in the powder room before being integrated.

Tyburn

New in Town
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,
I discovered this forum by means of the thread regarding famous persons and their dogs, a series of utterly heartwarming pictures which couldn't help but make me smile.
As for what I'm doing here, I'm an aspiring writer working on a parodic sci-fi piece with a largely retro 40s-50s vibe, I just felt it would be a great source of authentic information and those tiny little details that really make some writing come alive.
If nobody objects and if there's a place for it I may post a few little snippets for your consideration.
Thank you for reading,

Tyburn.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
Hello folks!

My name is Carl, I'm 23, and I live in northern California. I stumbled across this site while searching for vintage shaving products and have been a lurker for about a year before I decided to sign up. I am a major history buff and gearhead. I own way to many old cars, have more books than I have room for and am on a first name basis with the owners of local antique stores :lol:. I'm always on the lookout for vintage camping equipment, advertisements, furniture, shop equipment and clothing.(clothing is hard to come by. I'm 6'5 and a solid 290 lbs)

I'm working as a mechanic, but am going back to school next semester for drafting/design. My wonderful girlfriend is also into vintage everything and has taken up sewing her own vintage inspired clothing.

So, here I am and I hope to be an asset to this board.

-Carl

Welcome, from one car guy to another! I hope to see your posts in the vintage car threads we have!

Hello folks!

My name is Carl, I'm 23, and I live in northern California. I stumbled across this site while searching for vintage shaving products and have been a lurker for about a year before I decided to sign up. I am a major history buff and gearhead. I own way to many old cars, have more books than I have room for and am on a first name basis with the owners of local antique stores :lol:. I'm always on the lookout for vintage camping equipment, advertisements, furniture, shop equipment and clothing.(clothing is hard to come by. I'm 6'5 and a solid 290 lbs)

I'm working as a mechanic, but am going back to school next semester for drafting/design. My wonderful girlfriend is also into vintage everything and has taken up sewing her own vintage inspired clothing.

So, here I am and I hope to be an asset to this board.

-Carl

FunkTroNikS

New in Town
Hey gent's name's Eddy. I live down in sunny Miami Fl.

I found the Fedora Lounge by luck in my search for a Fedora similar to my stepdads. I like the style guides they have on here. They're very chic and classic! Gonna see if I find a similar style of Fedora to what my stepdad had, he lost his hat but I'll never forget the felt and quality of it. I wish I knew the dimensions of it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy