Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Taz-man

Familiar Face
Hi Everybody. My name is Darren. I live in Northern Virginia. I have been happily married for less than a year so far.

I happened upon this forum several days ago, and really liked what I saw. I am only 29 but have been interested in this time period for a very long time. I like to collect things from this time period. I feel like I wasn't born in the right time period. I love to collect things from this time period and look forward to collecting more as time goes bye. I am a writer that writes period pieces based pretty much in the 1930s and 1940s. I like that there are other people in this world that like this time period other than me.

superstarmegami05

New in Town
Hello~!

First things first, I came across this site while searching for 40's hairstyles (which I've done quite a few times). I've been lurking for a few days and stalking some of the threads here and there. I'll probably post in them sometime soon. I'm mostly interested in late 30's to early 50's things but I sometimes find myself dabbling into 20's on one end and the early 60's on the other. Victorian things hold a strong interest as well (which then leads me to fangirl over Steampunk items occasionally).

As for myself, I'm Athena and I'll be turning 23 in September. I'm surrounded by cow fields in Tennessee with my Mom, our two cats and dog. I must confess, I not only joined for the obvious plethora of knowledge that can be found here but I find it difficult to find others who share a genuine interest in all things vintage so getting to know people here will be nice. I started getting into things like this after watching black and white movies and listening to older music throughout my childhood thanks to my Mom, who also has a love for vintage things as well. Maybe I'll try to get her to join as well. Lol Anyway, as I got older, possibly during high school, I moved on from just the movies and music and began to look up the fashion and lifestyles of people that lived during those times. I don't dress in the fashions since I don't own anything similar from those times but I'm hoping to change that at some point. Umm, that's about all I can think of to share at the moment. I look forward to becoming part of the board! :D

SomeRevolutionary

New in Town
Hello, all! My name is Kelby and I'm currently a theater student. I'll be graduating soon only to go back in to school; I'm going to go to make up school to learn how to make monsters. I've always had a love for vintage, but I'm very new as far as incorporating it into my own style, so I'm very excited. I'm trying to find my perfect blend of my love for 50s women's fashion and my nerdiness. I enjoy comics and costuming, all sorts of costuming from comics to steam punk. ^_^ Oh! I also have an obsession with Captain America and Peter Pan. Very pleased, to meet all of you.

Susan Vance

New in Town
Hi Everyone,
I just signed up yesterday after being a bit of a lurker for several years. I found the lounge one day while I was killing time/procrastinating. I was working on a paper about screwball comedies…random searching of all things vintage counts as research right? What started as a love for old movies and music quickly expanded to include the vintage look and then it all showed up in my academics! In academia I love studying how American culture has shifted, progressed, regressed, and morphed from the 1900s to WWII. I worked with popular entertainment to look at how people responded to what was happening around them with a strong focus on the Great Depression. In my non-academic life I love the music and movies (my favorite is Bringing Up Baby) from the 20s-40s. Oh and a good old fashioned air race!
I am currently working on a project about Hollywood dancers. I am looking at Ann Miller, Cyd Charisse, Shirley Temple, Bill Robinson, Busby Berkeley, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, The Nicholas Brothers, Rita Hayworth, Eleanor Powell, and Gene Kelly. I would love suggestions for dancers (current and past) and if anyone knows of any books, articles, or movies I should check out please send that all my way!

Just a quick note to our newest members, you've taken your first step into the Lounge and hopefully are enjoying it a lot.

A special note to remind you that you can move up in "rank" so to speak as you add to your number of posts.

A Key Point: There are some features that will become available to you when you hit the magic number of 15 posts to allow you to experience the ability to use the private message section, plus see more stuff.

As I understand the "Events Section" opens up to you then also.

superstarmegami05

New in Town
John in Covina, thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I actually am enjoying the board so far. I had already seen the "ranking" and am familiar with it on other boards but was unaware that I would need a specific number of posts before I could use certain things. XD I've actually already poked around the "Events" area a bit. Thanks again though! That would have been frustrating to try to PM someone and not understand why it wouldn't work. Lol

Wow, we've sure had a lot of new people the past couple days. Welcome to all of you!

Roving_Bohemian - your best bet is to upload the photos to an image hosting site, such as Photobucket, and then use the paste the

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

New member to the Lounge for only a couple of days but to be honest I briefly stumbled upon it almost a year ago. It was exciting to find a site that hosted those that I felt shared the same interest and passion in this great era.

Have been studying everything I could about World War II, the 40s, and the Greatest Generation since I was a kid living in Germany during the Cold War. The enthusiasm has never waned and I find it increases with the time that I can find to pursue it. I hope this site will allow more of that.

Having quickly skimmed over a few of the threads in different forums I can see that this is a very special group: friendly and amusing, intelligent and worldly, and exceptional experts in the many fields. I feel fortunate for this opportunity and hope in some way to contribute as much as I have already gotten out of the very short time here.

M.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Any idea how many posts needed to be able to insert a photo from our own computer instead of URLs?
You'll need to place your photos at a hosting site ( photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc) and then copy and paste the IMG code into your post. Easy as pie once you get the hang of it.....;)

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
You'll need to place your photos at a hosting site ( photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc) and then copy and paste the IMG code into your post. Easy as pie once you get the hang of it.....;)
Thanks for the advice T&T. The reason I asked was my computer gives me the option of uploading and posting direct, but tells me "you do not have sufficient privileges to post this way." and basically this may be because the mod's have blocked my account or that some privileges come with a certain number of posts... since my account seems to work, I figured maybe I just hadn't posted enough, and was curious to know what the exact number actually was... maybe it's just a glitch in my computer... [huh] :p

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice T&T. The reason I asked was my computer gives me the option of uploading and posting direct, but tells me "you do not have sufficient privileges to post this way." and basically this may be because the mod's have blocked my account or that some privileges come with a certain number of posts... since my account seems to work, I figured maybe I just hadn't posted enough, and was curious to know what the exact number actually was... maybe it's just a glitch in my computer... [huh] :p

I think that is the default of the database. No one has sufficient privileges to post photos directly.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Evenin' all!
My name is Warwick, and like quite a few others I have been checking out The Fedora Lounge for a few years now and have finally taken the plunge to register. I have been interested in the 20's and 30's for a number of years - all started when I was a young lad and my mum and dad took me to a themed restaurant near where I live called 'Dillingers' (no prizes for guessing the theme!!).
Sadly, the restaurant went years ago (it was in a converted Bank, which was ironic!), but my interest never left me.
Look forward to posting on the forum soon!

Cheers!! :)

loveheartlove

New in Town
Hello! I've been a member of the Fedora Lounge since about 2004 and was quite active at the time but since then have forgotten my user details so thought I would start all over with a new name.

So! A bit about me:

My name is Elizabeth and I live in Queensland, Australia. I'm a professional makeup artist with a particular interest in beauty and hair from the 1930s-1970s. I go through phases of completely immersing myself in a particular era, learning everything I can about the time and my current obsession is the early 1960s.

I have a huge collection of magazines and women's housewife manuals spanning from the 1940s to the 1970s which I love to pieces as they help me immerse myself in the time as much as I can.

I'm really glad to be back here among people who share similar passions/hobbies and can't wait to start chatting with you all again!

x

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
Hello!
Just wanted to say hey and introduce myself. My name is Dan'a, I live in LA and love the 20's and 30's!
So happy to have found the site! Hope to meet many of you at the Art Deco Fest in Long Beach Labour Day weekend!

~ Dan'a

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy