Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Emporator

New in Town
Hello all,

My 2nd post - I probably should have made an entry here my 1st.

My name's Thomas, and I reside in Sydney, Australia. I've long held an enthusiasm for antiques, most likely due to having been raised amongst them. My father still uses his pre-war Zeiss camera (flashbulbs and all), and baulks at the idea of going digital, or 35mm for that matter.

I joined The Fedora Lounge after a very lengthy time of being an outsider, and am thoroughly chuffed I did so.

Some three years ago I bought what many consider to be the zenith of automotive Art Deco styling, a 1937 Cord 812. For those unfamiliar with this motor car, please follow the link below.

http://www.wallpapers-free.co.uk/background/transport/cars/1937-Cord-812-Custom-Beverly-fvl/

I was lucky to get a right-hand-drive example, these being extremely scarce. A few months past saw it leave its' storage shed and be put upon a trailer for Melbourne, Victoria. There it will be fully restored and (hopefully!) look as stunning as it did in 1937.

Having sent the Cord away for restoration has made me think about the end result, specifically, skylarking around in it in period costume. I'd dearly love to have a period suit made, my scant knowledge of which prompting me to join The Fedora Lounge.

I've already got a few bits and bobs (two-tone shoes, hat, spectacles) but am a bit lost as to a suit. I'm hoping to glean as much information as I can from both the forums and its' contributors. From the reading I've done I've already learnt a great deal; an education surely not easily found elsewhere!

Please feel free to drop me a line if you like. It'd be nice to chat to other Art Deco fiends here Down Under.

brookenormajean

New in Town
Hello everyone,

After much hesitation, I have finally joined my very first forum! and I think I picked the right one to join... ;)
I have often seen topics from the Fedora Lounge in the google search results when I have been looking for information, or some of my favourite
Vintage bloggers have mentioned it along the way. It seems like a nice place to sit back and chat with lovely guys and dolls who share the vintage love affair!
Hopefully I will start getting the hang of this whole forum and will start posting away and chatting with you fine people.

Brooke

Oh and Thomas, you have quite the taste in automobiles... You will have to post photographs once your Cord is restored! Also in regards to clothing... there a few places in Sydney, on 1/251 Elizabeth St there is a men's store called 'Skin Deep' that specializes in vintage men's, accessories etc. I havn't been in as there is nothing there for me, but I always take a peek as I walk by. Antons 212 Oxford St in Paddington for clothing and they have an amazing hat collection, Sterling Hairdressing Parlour and Barber Shop is where you go for that authentic cut, they even serve cold beers for the gents, tea for the ladies.
Hope that helps out a little... goodluck!

Emporator

New in Town
Hello Brooke,

Many thanks - I've wanted a Cord ever since I saw one when I was 15. It took 13 years, but I finally got one. Another three years later and it's now being restored. I'll be sure to post some pictures once its' former beauty has been achieved.

A thousand thanks for the information on the Sydney haunts! I'd almost forgotten about 'Skin Deep' - I used to saunter past and think "Oh yes, yes indeed." Sterling Hairdressing will certainly be somewhere I'll check out. And beers! A boon!

renaissancemedici

One of the Regulars
After a long time of just looking around, I joined your company, and I am so happy for that. Of course I have so much more reading to do, but there are some wonderful people here.

I've always loved the look of late 30s-early 40s, but there isn't really a vintage scene for those in Greece. To be honest, I prefer unworn clothes, so I started looking for sewing patterns of the era, or pattern drafting books. So, right now I am at the process of making my own wardrobe, but I am still at the pattern making part of it! :rolleyes:

I would love to make several pieces that I can wear today as well, like dresses, skirts etc. My ambition would be to recreate the wardrobe of Ilsa Lund, but that seems like a dream right now!
I'm starting with slips and underwear, so at least mistakes will never be seen in public.

The only actual vintage pieces I have are my mother's from the seventies, outside the era I am interested in.

I can't say I would like to dress vintage all the way. But I want to have the style, elegance, femininity and strong classy presence of those ladies. Of course that is more than clothes, but it's a start.

Very happy to be here!

amador

A-List Customer
Hello everyone. I too have lurking status and have joined in recently. I have been contributing to several Lounge sites until I stumbled onto this one. Initially I was looking for information about Fedoras onlne and of course ended up at the Lounge. I am a traveling physican in the Northwest. I have been looking around in the Lounge and am amazed at the amount of information and fun. I am currently between assignments and have had some time to post a few. I seem to have developed an "online personality" in a short period of time. Alter ego perhaps. I know too many dark things and the Hat helps me cope.
I retired from the Army, did cancer research, went to medical school in that order. See you around the Lounge.

Last edited:

tessie

New in Town
Hello, I just found this thread and wanted to formally introduce myself.
My name is Tessie, Im 37 and from the Okanagan Valley in BC, Canada. I have two gorgeous children who are my life and I am a huge fan of James Stewart (named my first born "bailey" after GB in IAWL) and Cary Grant. I love Artie Shaw and Helen Forrest (especially together lol). My favorite movie has to be "The Philadelphia Story" (for somewhat obvious reasons lol) and I really love the witty banter from the golden era.
I also love to wear and collect vintage slips, because I think they are so beautiful. :)

anyway it's nice to meet you all!

banjopicker1948

New in Town
hello,
I've been kinda hangin around for a while but I think this is my first post. My name is Tyler and I'm 21, a college student in Tennessee. All my life I've been interested in all things old. I love everything from the 30's and 40's. My first car was a 1928 ford model A coupe. I doubt many kids can say they learned to drive a stick in one of those! haha I know have a 1929 roadster and a 1953 ford coupe as well. All are original and the 53 is my daily driver and sole means of transportation. I love antique stores and finding useful things from my favorite era. I play bluegrass and love the old music from that era that came out of my part of the country, it sounds so awesome on a victor talkin machine! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site and can't wait to meet more people that share the same interests as me. Its kinda hard being a youngin' into this old stuff, can't say I've ever met anyone that was as into it as I was that was even close to my age. haha Well nice to meet ya'll and can't wait to get to know ya'll!

brookenormajean

New in Town
hello,
I've been kinda hangin around for a while but I think this is my first post. My name is Tyler and I'm 21, a college student in Tennessee. All my life I've been interested in all things old. I love everything from the 30's and 40's. My first car was a 1928 ford model A coupe. I doubt many kids can say they learned to drive a stick in one of those! haha I know have a 1929 roadster and a 1953 ford coupe as well. All are original and the 53 is my daily driver and sole means of transportation. I love antique stores and finding useful things from my favorite era. I play bluegrass and love the old music from that era that came out of my part of the country, it sounds so awesome on a victor talkin machine! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site and can't wait to meet more people that share the same interests as me. Its kinda hard being a youngin' into this old stuff, can't say I've ever met anyone that was as into it as I was that was even close to my age. haha Well nice to meet ya'll and can't wait to get to know ya'll!

Hi Tyler
I definately understand the issue of not meeting people your own age that are interested in all things vintage, It can be hard been the odd one out! That is very cool that your first ride was a 1928 ford model A coupe! I would love to drive around in a vintage car... but uhh... oops I'm now 24 and still havn't gotten behind the wheel!
Take care :)

Cara Wheeler

New in Town
Hi. I'm Cara. I'm 29 and live in Houston. I love all things beauty, as well as pulpy detective novels, snappy patter, and Film Noir. This seems to be the point at which all things intersect.

Thank you so much to everyone on this site. When everyone in real-life gets sick of me talking about pin-curls and 1930's footwear- I check out Fedora Lounge and feel like less of an island.:)

Propeller Planes

New in Town
Hello all

I've been lurking for a while, though since I have many things I'd like to contribute, I figured I better join up and introduce myself!

Call me Props' for short if you like, however, my real name is Maikha. I come from Australia (A rural town called Wagga Wagga, NSW), and I'm a 24yr old bloke. I'm completely astounded at how many 20-somethings there are on this forum, as in my travels, I thought I was the only weirdo my age visiting museums, auctions and the like who appreciated the golden era and everything out of it! I love everything to do with the golden era. It started off with old trains, then moved onto old airplanes, cars, buildings, decor, fashion and has since expanded. Pretty much anything to do with classic transport gets my attention.

By weekday, I'm a commercial pilot, and by weekend I travel around my state and other cities in Australia visiting areas of vintage interest, which vary from museums, to vintage buildings, theatres, etc. I visit alot of vintage car rallys, and I also volunteer for a heritage railroad as a Conductor and a steam locomotive fireman. Love the golden era for many reasons, mainly the style, but also the values back then, as opposed to today's society. Call it an escape if you will! It's hard to encapsulate all my interests and activities in the golden era in a short post!

Anyhow, hope to be able to contribute more to the place.
Cheers
Maikha

Flicka

One Too Many
Hello everyone!

I'd completely missed this thread. I just jumped into some conversations without introducing myself. How rude! Anyway, I'm Felicia and I've just recently decided to follow my heart by embracing the styles of the Golden Era. I've always loved the 30s-50s – the clothes, the furniture, the movies, the classiness... I even used to collect Golden Era mysteries, but I've been to chicken to take the plunge and actually wear vintage so I'm a bit of a newbie in that area. I'm also trying to fix up my place and incorporate more of vintage styles. It's great to meet so many like-minded people!

Hello Ladies!

I'm Emerald - I previously posted here under the name FraeuleinBerlin, but I thought I'd make a new profile to go with the blog I'm setting up.

I like everything '20s-'50s, mostly I wear '50s clothes. I'm trying to expand vintage into my whole life, but as a poor poor student, it's difficult at times. This forum always encourages me and re-inspires me when I feel like I can't be bothered!

Nice to re-meet you all!

Emy
xxx

Emily the Storyteller

New in Town
Hi everyone! I'm Emily, I'm a sixth-form student from Essex. I love vintage, partly because the fit is generally bang on the money for someone with a non-standard figure for modern clothes (moi), but also because I find the history behind it fascinating. I've just started a blog with little creative writing pieces about vintage items I own; critique is always welcome if you want to come and have a look, link is in my signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24