Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought it was time to revitalize this thread, for I have noticed even more ladies joining us here at the lounge.
There are so many of you, I'm not going to list each one, in fear that I might leave someone out. But, I wanted to welcome you all. I look forward to learning about you and seeing all of your great contributions to not only the powder room, but the entire lounge. Please feel free to come on in, introduce yourselves, and tell us a little bit about who you are.
So, here's a big warm welcome. I hope you all enjoy yourself:D
Daisy

Daisy Buchanan

ChezPez said:
Hi Daisy!
Actually, I used to. An old friend gave me that nickname a long time ago. I had a pretty well rounded collection, but I lost all my PEZ dispensers in one of my various moves, and so my collecting days were numbered. :/ I managed to keep a few Star Wars ones, a Batman, and a Wonder Woman though. ...yes, I'm a total geek. And proud, damn it! Heh. Ah, well. It used to be so fun to decorate the room with them! Maybe I'll start up again someday.
Hope you're collection's doing better than mine!
ChezPez,
I'm so sorry your dispenser collection got mis-placed. I don't think you're a geek for collecting them. I have over 500.
Well, I hope one day you will start buying them up again. Ebay is a great place to find some of the vintage ones. So is the Burlingame Pez museum on line, based in California. Although, prices really have started to go up. I really do love them, but between the prices of vintage dresses and the prices of vintage PEZ, I choose the dresses!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Hello girlies!

I am new to Fedora and stumbled across The Powder Room many a time whilst searching on Goggle for vintage hair tips - I passed by so many times and got so much information that I thought I should lay my hat down and join as a member!
This forum is one of a kind and an oracle to a english gal. We have nothing like this in the UK which is a real shame. I shop mostly from the american websites such as besame and stop staring and am currently waiting for my Whirling Turban dress to be created - all this thanks to this site and its links!
If anyone out there fancies a stint in the UK, I'd be more than happy to do a swap with you so I can be let loose in all your wonderful shops :D

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Hello ladies,

I thought I'd introduce myself. I graduated college in May, and now I am a graduate student in Philadelphia studying French literature. I'm almost as new to Philly as I am to the Lounge, actually. I don't dress vintage aside from the odd pair of vintage-inspired shoes, but I'd like to work on incorporating some vintage things into my wardrobe. So far it's proven to be difficult because it seems I'm just taller and thicker than the average woman of the 40s. I don't have the budget for collecting things, though, so I'd be content with reproductions. I sewed quite a bit with my mother when I was a kid (starting with clothes for my Cabbage Patch dolls!), so I'm thinking of getting back into sewing to make some things for myself.

I grew up appreciating old things, mostly for their quality. I really was born in the wrong decade, which I'm sure is a common sentiment around here. :)

I keep finding more interesting things in old threads, and I'm looking forward to whatever else we find to talk about.

It's nice to be here!

dolly

New in Town
Hello Ladies,

I hope you are all having a good day.
My name is Alex, 22 Melbourne Australia. I've had an interest in many things pre 1970 for most of my life. Thanks to my parents, when you've grown up 'helping' dad with his vintage Alfa Romeos & helping mum search antique & collectable shops for 1920s & 1930s class (mainly tortishell, opalecent & the odd bit of ysart) one can't help but enjoy the past.

My own personal interests tend to be more 1940s & 1950s. I don't wear vintage dresses every day, as im tacky & caught the psychobilly bug. But i do collect them & love reading about fashion history. I also collect pre 1970 magazines, i have done so for quite some time.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Hi!!

First, I have to tell you how happy I am to have found this place!

I had lurked around for about a week or so until I finally decided to join - this is my first post and I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim, I'm 24 years old and I'm from Northern Indiana (any one else here from the Hoosier state? There never usually is!)

I've always liked the look of the 40's and 50's, and I *love* the pin-up girls of that time - classic beauties and not overly risqu?©. I love that women looked feminine and classy, and the fashion of those times reflected that. I really get tired of seeing all these young girls prancing around in their skimpy shirts and skirts or with their thongs hanging out of their jeans. *shudder*

I've always entertained the idea of dressing vintage, but never really went further than that. It wasn't until recently that I really got into it and made a few small purchases from eBay, just to try it out and see how it feels. I've not received my purchases yet but I've been playing around with some hair styles and I think I'm doing alright with those! I must not be too far off because a lady I work with said she loved how "retro" it looked!

Anyway, I tend to be rather long-winded, so for that I apologize! Every one seems so nice here, and I'm looking forward to participating in more conversations!

Senora Milagro

New in Town
I'm new too!

Hello eveyone,

I'm 25 and active duty in the Air Force. I'm stationed in Turkey and have been here 2.5 years.

I love the 40's and the early 50's. I'm not so much a collector but I'm having a 40's inspired dress made for my husband's Christmas party.

I came across this site while looking for hair styles of the 40's for the dress. A lot of the pictures I am unable to see though. They just come up as the dreaded red X.

I'm happy to have joined and if anyone has any hair advice I'd love to hear it. I have a little past my shoulder length hair. It is pretty thick and holds a curl fairly well.

Apocalypse

New in Town
Hi! :D

I also found this place looking for hairstyles... ones to go with 40's hats. I'm just beginning to make my own suits for work and quite like the idea of wearing a hat! :D Of course, my clothes will be for different eras, depending on my mood, but glamourous hair goes with everything, right? lol

P

Phaedra

Hello

I'm new in town. I didn't know about this site until I was invited to the QM event next month, by my special guy. When he sent me this link, my response was "sign us up". I have to admit that I don't know that much about vintage clothing, but I do like the styles of the 30's and 40's and am looking forward to the event and meeting new people. I've enjoyed browsing this site and seeing pictures from past events. I'm sure I'll learn a lot and hopefully will have a better sense of the 30's/40's style.

Any helpful tips for shopping in the Seattle area for vintage clothes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P

Phaedra

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies

It is Sophia Loren.....one of my favorites........

S

sparrow

New from Chicago

Hello! I've been lurking around the site for a couple of weeks and finally got an approved membership and am I excited about it!

I've been a secret admirer of the past since at least 6th grade. Why, I can remember my fondest wish then was to have an authentic looking bobbie soxer outfit complete with saddle shoes. Ever since then I've longed for that golden era (my favorite movies usually involved time travel) but have really only indulged it by leafing through archived magazines, listening to swing and old radio shows, and occasionally donning a pair of saddle shoes.

Now that I'm a homemaker and mother, I'm finding even more of a kinship with women from the 30s, 40s and 50s. For some reason, current mainstream women's magazines don't speak to my interests but homemakers' magazines from the past do. I think it's something about all the articles to "use it up, wear it out, make do or do without" that inspire me. And, of course, there's all the cute dresses and charming ads.

At any rate, I also do a bit of sewing when I can and am hoping to find time to make a dress or two or maybe, someday (said with a dreamy sigh) I could make a coat!

So, any other old fashioned gals from the gangster city?

Daisy Buchanan

Wow, so many new ladies joining in! This is great. I guess before ladies take over the world, we should take baby steps, and take over the lounge as sort of a trial....
I look forward to chatting with you and learning from you.
This is a great place to be, filled with warm people who are also witty and smart.
I hope you find it as fun as I do.
And Phaedra, looking forward to meeting you at the QM!
Be well,
Daisy

olive bleu

One Too Many
hello from up north

Hi ladies, it is such a pleasure to meet you all.I am from Halifax, nova scotia, Canada and have been drawn to the past for as long as i can remember. In recent years i have come to realize that the 1920's-1940's is where my passion lies, and boy, I do love it all. A friend of mine that i met about 15 years ago had a vintage clothing/jewellry shop and she was always bringing me armloads of great clothes.I also sew and love mending and breathing new life into beautiful vintage pieces.Next came the great music. I am a huge jazz fan and without a doubt it is the stuff from this era we honour here that sends me.My neighbours are terrific lindyhoppers and also share my passion for early jazz.( i won't bore you at the moment with my terrible experiences with trying to learn to dance ;) I am the mama of 2 darling little lads and work in a bank.I am trying to build a nice collection of vintage office wear, that will really let me put a little pizazz into the usual conservative office attire.Before i wrap it up, i must say how much i have enjoyed all of you so far and the great links and ideas i have gotten from you all."Louie, i think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship..".
Here is one of my fav sites for 30's-40's related info.Maybe you know it already.
http://www.fashion-era.com/1914-1955.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot