Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Nightshade

New in Town
Hello everyone, I'm Andrea. I guess I'll tell ya a bit about me. I'm 23, recently divorced and happy as ever. I'm getting gastric bypass surgery on Feb. 7th, for my health, just so you know. I've always admired and wanted to be a pin up girl. I love the look of the 30's and 40's and I, myself, am a glamour girl. I get dressed up where ever I go. Between dressing from the 30's and 40's, and working at Renaissance festivals, I have no sense of present time lol. I especially appreciate the time the women put into their hair. I'm starting to get the hang of pin curls and finger waves, but am still a little rough. I love meeting new people, so here I am!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Thanks for being here.......

This forum is wonderful. I am 34 years old and have only recently started dressing 'retro' after being inspired by Dita Von Teese and some Burlesque girls at Erotica in London last November. I have been to a Streetrod 'do' at Biggleswade last year and was also inspired by the rockabilly scene.
I am enjoying reading the topics here and learning lots of stuff.
I am going to have to learn to make my own stuff as I am 5 feet 2 and English Size 20-22. I'ts heartbreaking to see the stuff on ebay and see how small it is - or I will have to become anorexic, but I like my food too much!
My hubby unfortunately is not joining me in my new image..I have only seen him in a suit once and that wasn't even when we got married! We are into classic cars and I am looking forward to showing off in our 1967 Triumph Herald convertible in headscarf and 'retro' glasses to turn heads. I want this to be a 24/7 look but it will take time to acquire the stuff, I need.

Thanks for all of the valuable info and resources you provide.

Eleanor Marie x

Kim_B

Practically Family
So glad you joined us, Eleanor Marie! Perhaps once your hubby sees you all decked out in your retro-wear and in your convertible and see how fabulous you look he'll change his mind!! :)

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Well, I, too, am new to the forums. I guess my story is essentially the same as everyone else's: for whatever reason, I find myself attracted to the culture of the 1930s more than I do to today's zeitgeist. Or maybe it's that I feel out of place, and I'm nostalgic for my perception of the past that may never have actually existed.

I'm a sophomore at UT in Austin. I'm really interested in all kinds of old movies, be they silent, pre-code, or code. I also really like jazz, from Jelly Roll Morton to Duke Ellington to Thelonious Monk. I found the Fedora Lounge by meandering around the internet one day, and I've been observing for a week or so now. It's nice to see so many people interested in similar things! Also, as for the avatar, I don't really have a good picture of myself, nor do I have a camera with which to take one. So, for the time being, Cagney is my place-keeper.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I look forward to being a part of the forum and I'm happy to be here!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
JazzBaby said:
Hi everyone, I've been here awhile but only introduced myself in the Powder Room. My name is Rachel, I'm 22 and I live in Galway in the west of Ireland. I study English and Classics in university and I'm an aspiring novelist. I love vintage clothes, old movies and movie stars and I'm an expert on Paris between 1900-1920, especially on the artists that lived in Montmartre/Montparnasse (Picasso, Modigliani etc). I was so happy to find the lounge as I don't know anyone else who's into past eras, although I have gotten several comments on my physical similarity to a certain Marilyn Monroe (I don't see it myself; that's NOT me in my avlol lol lol ). I'll post a photo as soon as I figure out how...

Well to summarise what's turned out to be my latest novel ( lol ) I'd just like to say that you all seem like really lovely people, and I look forward to getting to know you and hopefully not freaking you out with any mad Irish behaviour ;)

Rachel.

Brassai is a long time favorite photographer of mine.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hmmm...

Jack Scorpion said:
Brassai is a long time favorite photographer of mine.

:eek:fftopic: More of a Man Ray fan myself...

A warm welcome to everyone new at the Lounge - look forward to hearing from you all!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Hey Gals! I'm new!

Hey gals I'm new here. A friend of mine told me about this fourm so I decided to check it out and join up. My name is Nicoletta, I am from San Francisco, and am avid vintage clothing/accsessorie collector and wearer, mostly stuff from the 1930's/1920's/Edwardian era. I also also an avid antiques collector and decophile.

Molly O'Star

New in Town
Now it's my turn to post a reply to this thread...and on my very first day, no less! I found The Lounge through the old Atomic Magazine website.

My name is Molly, I'm 25 and live in the Washington, DC, area. I work in public relations and covet all things vintage. Mostly, I'm a fan of looking like a woman and the era that allowed those of us who are not Kate Moss-sized to look beautiful, put-together and drop-dead sexy.

My interest runs from the early 40's through the 50's. Swing, big band, lounge and rockabilly music really get me going.

I'm so excited to find a place filled with women who are smart, classy and really seem to know what they're talking about.

It's a pleasure to be able to introduce myself to all of you. Thanks! :)

Nightshade

New in Town
Well, in my av, I look scary, but I like it because you can see my eyes. It's also the only pic of me I have. I love seeing the different avatars people have, it always says a little bit about a person. I'm glad to see so many people here that like to talk about everything retro, it makes me happy.:p

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Greetings and Salutation

Hello Daisy and All,

Thank you for the gracious invitation for an introduction. I've really enjoyed reading the postings on this forum over the past few weeks. Such a polite, interesting and chic place to visit! And the pictures and information is terrific.

I gravitate to everything from the "Ragtime Era" to the early 40s. As a film-tv-radio undergrad, and even before, I found myself drawn to films like Metropolis, Chinatown, Lifeboat, Blade Runner , The Grapes of Wrath, Julia, The Hindenberg, They Shoot Horses Don't They , All Quiet on the Western Front, and Paper Moon and writers like Fitzgerald, Millay, Bogan, Stevens, Crane, Hurston, Sandburg, Frost, Cullen, Steinbeck, O'Neill, Orwell, and of course Dorothy Parker!

I would have loved to have sat in on even just one evening's worth of conversation at the Algonquin Round Table and would have had loved to have been on the sets of the early films, especially anything directed by Fritz Lang, King Vidor, Orson Welles or Lewis Milestone. There was a marvelous PBS series some years ago called Flickers with a young Bob Hoskins that I thought really captured the fun and travails of the early film making processes. I was drawn to BBC/PBS programming as a child. Programs like Brideshead Revisited , The Duchess of Duke Street, and Poirot have delivered intelligent, savy scriptwriting and arresting style to television.

I'm also into anything "different" and have been a "Trekkie" as long as I've loved history and the stories that survive. I like looking back and looking forward and considering possibilities. Books were venues of transport when I was a child - time and other world transport - and are still dear to me for this reason and others. A quiet room, time and a book is quite simply a gift.

My "vintage/retro passion," is seeing old, grand theatres saved and used again. I visit the Cinematreasures.org site a lot and try to support and contribute to the rescue of Deco, Nouveau and other historic film houses. Once these treasures -- with all their murals, and friezes and craftmanship are gone -- they're gone, and so is a piece of history.

I look forward to meeting others here at The Fedora Lounge ;)

Molly O'Star

New in Town
Hi All,

I'll take a moment to introduce myself. I've already looked around The Powder Room and now I'm working on getting the lay of the land on the rest of the site.

I'm going to re-post my "ladies only" intro ...

My name is Molly; I'm 25 and live in the Washington, DC, area. I work in public relations and covet all things vintage. Mostly, I'm a fan of looking like a woman and the era that allowed those of us who are not Kate Moss-sized to look beautiful, put-together and drop-dead sexy.

My interest runs from the early 40's through the 50's. Swing, big band, lounge and rockabilly music really get me going.

I'm so excited to find a place filled with women (and all you guys, too!) who are smart, classy and really seem to know what they're talking about.

It's a pleasure to be able to introduce myself to all of you. Thanks! :)

redpony

Vendor
Thought I would introduce myself!

I am Amanda and I am a vintage clothing dealer. I adore the 30's & 40's, especially western, which is something I never find, but I am on the search!

I have enjoyed reading everything on hair tips and more and I am glad to find a group that loves the vintage lifestyle as much as I do!

GOK

One Too Many
Another warm welcome to our newest ladies - hope you have lots of fun here. :D

Eleanor Marie - I was at Erotica last year too (and the year before) - DVT was perfect, wasn't she? What did you think of the Ladyboys? I loved them! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart