Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Waiting in the wings

Hello all!,
Let me introduce myself. I'm Teekay44. I've been a WWI and WWII reenactor for 12 years now. I've been watching the threads for some time now. They are very well done and informitive!.

You folks have inspired me to get a vintage civilian suit together. For those times I can't wear a uniform.:) I have been very lucky as my grandfathers (one is shown on my avitar) and my great grandfather left me with vintage cuflinks, watchs, tietacks and collarbars. The stye is great! The whole era (1914 to 1945) is facinating to me with my main interest is in the 1930's and 1940's.

Nice place you folks have here. I'll just sit back with my drink and enjoy the view.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
I hope you don't mind me saying but you older (than me! Definitely not old in the age sense!) ladies have given me such hope for a stylish future! I look at (for instance) my dowdy aunt who is 43, and wonder why she'd want to look like she does, in baggy leggings and sweatshirts from the 80s with wolf prints on, and hope my dress sense doesn't fly out the window. Now I know it won't! I would never ever have placed you at nearing 40, more like 25! Lizzie Maine and GOK also fall into this hope for my future category!

Thanks for saying I look 25, I wish, but the truth is my husband is a extremely talented photographer and knows how to use photoshop to a ladies advantage. Shame it isnt that simple in reality:)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Intro

Hello ladies!

I am a 25-year vintage clothing and accessory collector, third generation Californian. I remember when I used to be handed vintage because "no one wants this stuff."

I have/have had about 60 suits, 200 hats (gave some away recently), some shoes, about 80 pairs of gloves, 100 hankies (sold most of those recently), about 10+ ball gowns (sold most of those too) and a small amount of dresses (sold some of those also). It's pretty sad, when you consider that I collect other things as well....

No more good jewelry, because it got stolen by someone working on our house. I have about 3-5 shoeboxes full of costume jewelry, and will be parting with that too. That doesn't include buttons, millinary, books, stockings etc. Yeah, I have it real bad.

But the good news is that I will be sharing with you! I have so much stuff that it's time to share with lovely ladies like yourself. The reaction from the recent free stuff I've posted has been great, so I am looking forward to sharing even more.

I look forward to getting to know you better, and perhaps visit when I am in your town.

Anyone want to meet me in New York in March? I will be there for 3 days at a conference.

Vintage Betty

MissyVamp

New in Town
roots66 said:
Unlike most of you, I don't dress full-on vintage--but that's not by choice. Unfortunately, I'm short and dumpy (size 14 at best), so finding items that fit and flatter is challenging even under the best of circumstances.

I'm understanding that a US 14 is a UK 18? - I'm just 5ft tall and a UK size 18 and I have to say that I have ONLY been able to flatter my figure and feel my best in vintage/retro clothes. Of course , it is very difficult for girls like us to get true vintage clothing to fit, (oh those tiny waists!!), but the retro style is so flattering - we have boobs and hips and if we do have waists that are just too big - we buy a corset!! - become an hourglass and love yourself!!!

I've finally begun to love myself after many years - because there is nothing in me that would want to be skinny and there's no will power in me to want to even drop a few pounds !- But even though I suppose it would be nice to be a little slimmer - I have found that ice cream in beautiful lingerie at a size 14, is so, so much better than hunger in size 0. And sexier too.

Go do your hair, put your make up on, stockings, heels and look in the mirror - how gorgeous are you???

Be Fabulous!

Siobhan

Miss Jones

New in Town
Well...
I, too, have been cruising this sight for some time and have finally decided to get involved. Sort of. I've been a little sneaky about it because all the regulars just seem like one big happy family.
But now to introduce myself. My real name is Brandee, and I live in the farm land of Ohio where vintage means a 1970's John Deere tractor. I have been delving into the past since I was introduced to 30's Jazz and Big Band music in high school choir. (I'm 31 now). I would dress vintage-y more often if I could find anything to fit. Mostly I wear repro looking pieces when I get the chance. Working at Lowe's doesn't afford me that often. If there were any great place to hang out and dance around here, I'd be doing that. So basically my off time hobbies consist of reading (history, hardboiled, travel etc), music (CDs, XM 40s on 4 directv, and Music of you Life), TCM, art, cooking.... spending waaaaayyyy too much time cruising FL. I know of NOBODY around here that would even remotely "get" this thing of ours.
So, that's me in a teeny tiny nutshell.

pistolpete

Familiar Face
I should say hi as well.

If we are all joining the new folks list I will formally introduce myself. I am a merchandiser and buyer for a great store in Vail Colorado.
I started wearing hats around 1995; and after years of positive and negative comments feel very confident in them.
I work the famous one named wonder Savoia on our in house custom made hand-tailored clothing line.
Look forward to interacting with you folks in the future.
Pete.

Daisy Buchanan

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!

Welcome one and all:)

It's a pleasure to meet you! I hope you find The Lounge a grand place to meet fine folks and learn wonderfully interesting facts. Please share any vintage knowledge you have. I find this place to be a virtual world of information, and not just vintage information. Usually if I need to know about something, I can find out about it in the massive archives of The Lounge.

So come on in, pull up a stool at the bar and enjoy the fine establishment that is known as The Fedora Lounge. It is the only cool lounge that I know of that is open 24 hours a day, so you don't have to worry about last call:D

I look forward to hearing more about you:)
:cheers1:
Daisy

Vintage Betty

Intro

I am a 25-year vintage clothing and accessory collector, third generation Californian. I remember when I used to be handed vintage because "no one wants this stuff."

I have tons of suits, clothing and accessories, books, etc. It's really nice to meet all you gentlemen and gentle women who have great taste.

I look forward to getting to know you better, and perhaps visit when I am in your town.

Anyone want to meet me in New York in March? I will be there for 3 days at a conference.

Vintage Betty

Photomuse

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies,

I just posted my first post in Cherry Bomb's vintage wedding thread. I found my name here from the ever lovely and also very talented Kim B and figured it was about time to start posting.

I used to be a lurker.... and now am trying to get my butt in gear and say hello.

I'm in N New Jersey, and some of you are familiar from past boards I've been on (Greaser, Tommy White Tie, etc). Some are more familiar with my fiance Joe (Joe Riot, ex-Rumbler).

My main gig is as a wedding photojournalist, part time as a bellydance instructor (been dancing for 15 years) and in the last few years added fire dance to the bellydance. Unfortunately the photo work has grown considerably so the dancing has gone to the wayside a bit.

I have no social life! :rage: ... the work is consuming me.... but I'm TRYING to break that and get back out to dance and party again. My only salvation is in June for the WWII weekend!! I made sure not to book any weddings then!! (Anyone going?).

Anyway, I'm looking to getting to know you better!!

All for now!...
Kristin

MikeinMN

New in Town
I'm MikeinMN, because my name is Mike... and I live in Minnesoda. :) Over the past decade, I've been becoming more and more of an afficionado of most things vintage - first it was radios (1947 Arvin, 1951 Zenith, ~1955 Admiral, others), then it was fountain pens (many), then it was cameras (several 1930s rollfilm folding cameras, a brace of ~1950 Speed Graphics, three or four Busch Pressmans, a couple other Graflex and Burke & James cameras), then it was telephones (two Western Electric desktop sets)... who knows what'll be next. :)

I found this place when looking for information during my short-lived quest for a fedora, and have been lurking for a good long while. (Alas, the only way I'm going to get a hat that fits is to buy custom, which is too rich for my blood.) I'm not really into the vintage clothing thing, though I appreciate craftsmanship, and detest advertising logos on my clothes. I work from home and am relatively introverted, so opportunities - let alone need - to dress in anything nicer than slacks and a polo shirt are exceedingly rare.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i introduced myslef ages ago in the Powder Room but wasn't aware of this thread till now!

i'm julie, i live in portland, oregon, and i've been into vintage clothing and stuff for about 10 years now. my favorite time period is the early forties. my other hobbies are reading, knitting, sewing, singing, dancing, etc. despite all this, i'm a pretty modern gal, despite the flock of chickens in my backyard ;)

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
Hi

Hey I just ran into this and decided to take a look and say hello. I'm a student in college finishing my first year. Well...ever since I was a kid I loved the zoot suit or in spanish El Pachuco, I always loved the 30's 40's and fifties, and for a while I thought I was the only one! now I feel kinda dumb for thinking that.

Anyhow I found this site one day and found so many things that I was interested in and started getting very interested in vintage. Now all that I look for ( even tho I don't think I have even a piece of ) is vintage. I look forward to learning a lot and making new friends with the same interest that I have FINALLY! Well if anyone ever wants to give me any advice about anything please ask because I want to learn everything I can learn. Well that was a long Hi sorry about that. Well sorry about that and I'll be hearing more of you later

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Hello to all.

I have long been a classic movie buff and, as I have aged, have developed an appreciation for many aspects of the Golden Era. I particularly love the 30's and 40's, followed by the 20's and don't care for 50's style, etc. whatsoever, though I certainly respect those who do. There is good and bad in all things, but some of the things I love about those times are the style, manners, the hard work and sacrifice (particularly during war time), the movies, of course, Big Band music, and on and on.

I am thrilled that this site exists and that there are others out there with similar interests.

Thanks for having me.

CM

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Ok, if y'all don't get this, I might just have to pack it in. Most people just give a confused smile and move on so...

I have this hobby. It started off normal enough. I had an extra room in the house and so did the '40's thing. Wainscotting on the walls, 1920's file cabinet, Morris chair. Then, two years ago I got the dang calendar.

In order to give a little spunk to the room I found that the 1949 calendar was the same as the 2005 one, so I stuck that up. I realized that I could create, for lack of a better word, a parallel history. I bought Time magazines from 1949 and read them on the weeks that they came out. This provided me with a whole new view of history. Then, I found a website that showed broadcast dates for old radio shows and so would listen to them only on the day they were broadcast. I bought videos of movies that came out in 1949 and watched them on the month they hit the theaters. I read four of the best sellers when they were published. I tried (harder than you might think) to listen to new music from 1949 when it first appeared on the radio. I bought Sears catelogs and read Better Homes and Gardens for more of a social feel. There's more but you get the idea.

Last year I repeated this with 1939; this year it's 1945 (President Roosevelt sounded terrible in his speech last week on Yalta, Iwo is almost won says the newspaper and the new ration points just came out last Sunday).

Thought?

Oops, gotta go, it's Tuesday which means Fibber's on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy