Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

RIOT

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Good Lord, another one from the CBGB Sunday matinees!

What is this all about??! I personally don't recall playing a Sunday matinee at CB's. We headlined there a couple of times. Though I left the band back in the late 90's to persue other things the rest of the guys continued playing there until it's final days, and not the matinees as I recall, lol.

Show a little respect there son.

Cheers!
Joe

RIOT

Practically Family
Not a problem. I just reacted too soon. That's New Yawkers for you right?

Hope alls well and keep dry today.

Cheers!
Joe

Elisa

New in Town
Hi, folks, brand new here...

I'm an avid vintage collector who lives in New York. As a teenager I was a movie freak, and watched every single musical made between 1928 to the present day! My best friend is an ex-film archivist at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, that's how we met, two women with a passion for sitting in the dark staring lustfully at Joel McCrea and anything Adrian designed. When I first my husband in 1982 :eek: he was carrying a biography of Alfred Hitchcock. It was DESTINY!

My favorite vintage periods are the 1920s through the 1950s. Somehow the earlier eras don't quite do it for me, even though I wrote a novel based in 1916 (not published). The later eras I lived through, so a lot of it just reminds me of my much older sisters running around in mini dresses made out of Indian bedspreads! I remember in high school feeling annoyed that the clothes were so ugly. I was also VERY fat. Then I lost 100 pounds, and for the first time I could buy all the vintage I loved, and wear it! In those days the thrifts hadn't been scoured clean of the good stuff.

My favorite dress I called my "Alice Faye" dress, because we had very similar figures (even though I was 5'11"). It was navy rayon crepe. The dress was an uber-1940s halter dress, with a gathered plunge neckline with floral lace and gathered straps, as well as gathered hips and a big swag over the butt. It had a tiny bolero jacket that fastened UNDER the bust. God, I loved wearing that dress. I had dyed my hair platinum, and would pincurl my hair.

I don't know what happened to it, or a lot of wonderful things I owned in my 20s. I later toned down my look to "normal" when I got married, but in recent years I have reclaimed my inner vintage lover, especially since I now work out of my home and can wear whatever I please! I've lost an inch in height and gained some of the weight back, but there is a lot of great stuff out there!

Boy, is this long or what? Can you tell I'm a writer who works alone? I also work in show business sometimes, either onstage, or in television and film doing extra work.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Hello everyone,

I've been watching this board for a while, and I've put my toe in the water so to speak.

My favorite era is actually 14th century Europe, I'm going to Leeds, England, this fall to pursue an advanced degree in medieval history. But I got my start in history with stories my grandpa told me when I was little, and I've always loved the early 20th century. I love early jazz and big band swing, the fashions of the time, the movies, etc.

I live in a small town, so my not-jeans-and-t-shirt look gets me a lot of double-takes. I like dressing well when I can. I wear pince nez sunglasses, and will have pince nez spectacles when I need my perscription hanged again. I also wear a monocle (I have a galleried monocle and a rimless), which get a lot more questions.

I'm also an avid kilt wearer, I have a full, very formal kilt suit. But I want to get a nice vintage style suit as well. One thing at a time :)

My avatar is me trying to reproduce a photo of one of my favorite film makers, Fritz Lang. Kind of hard when I have a beard and he didn't.

Cheers,
Nick

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Martinis at 8

I just noticed this sticky.

I'm Mike. MK told us about Fedora Lounge over at the Ask Andy About Clothes forum/website where I also hang out.

I'm not really a vintage aficionado guy, but I do like to dress well when I can. My work puts me at the extremes of dress depending on where I travel, and whether I am doing field work or work at corporate client offices.

I enjoy the finer things of life, and also enjoy different types of history and literature, which is why I have taken a liking to the people I read here.

Here's what I look like, recently at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n169/auto447019/MandalayBayLV.jpg

Cheers,

M8

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Hello Everyone!

My name is Michael and I live about 40 miles Northeast of San Francisco with my wife and 10 year old son. I'm 36 years old, a student, adventurer, aspiring writer and would-be gentleman. My fascination with the Golden Age began sitting in front of the TV as a kid watching old movies. I grew up at the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and spent many a weekend hiking and climbing. These days I’m interested in using early 20th century clothing and gear for my hiking trips to the Sierras and the Coast Range. I’m also interested in the fashions, music, movies and lifestyle of the 1930’s and 40’s. I stumbled across the Lounge while looking at Atomic Magazine’s site and have been fascinated by the colossal amount of information. It's great to find a place where I'm not the only one wearing a fedora and humming a Cole Porter tune.

HaTTer

New in Town
New Boy

Hello,
Richard Hatter's the name.
I have been lurking for a few days and this is my first post.
I'm British, based in Hong Kong and am an hotelier.
It's rare that Im not in a suit for 15 hours a day, Im a purist and have always been. I wear a Panerai watch and collect them.
The Panerai produced Italian Navy Seal Military watches from 1937 to 1956 - they then stopped and didn't start again until to the 1992, the year they began to sell to the public....the Luminor and Nostrum Sea. They have a facinating history.
From 1956 to the 1992 some prototypes were produced that were never sold to the public or the Italian Navy.

Also a Porsche 1989 3.2 Carrera owner...and collect Porsche design products like vintage Carrera sunglasses (Steve McQueen Era) and earlier.

I also collect shoes- Church's brand and Allen Edmonds mostly Oxford Cap styles. I have a huge collection of vintage cufflinks as well.

Any one else into those brands.

Mickey Rourke's Angel Heart is one of my favourite movies.
My favourite aftershave is Creed original or Vetiver by Guerlain, both Classics
I have 3 kids, Aisha is 13, Ashton 11, Maya is 18 months and my wife Jenny is expecting our 4th a boy in September 2007.

My father was an RAF Officer and later worked with the British Council so I grew up in Singapore, Tanzania, Ghana, Bahrain and have also worked in the Five Star hotel industry in London, the BVI - Tortola, Bangkok, Indonesia, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong (7 years)

I'm currently Director of Development with www.shangri-la.com

Can anyone explain how to post images ?

PS I'd love to get hold of some 1940's ties and other vintage accoutrements.

Richard

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello everyone!

Once again, I am amazed at the diversity of backgrounds. What an amazing group we have here and it's great to see who our new members are. I am looking forward to your contributions.

As for image posting, I think the easiest way is to use a free service like imageshack.us. It is pretty self-explanatory once you get there. If you get stuck, let me know.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Glad to be here.

Hello all!

It's great to be a member of the Fedora Lounge. I found it by way of the Classic Style Mag website. I think my style came from a few factors in my early life. My first ride home from the hospital was in a blue Studabaker President. We had that car until I was about four or so. I also spent much of my childhood riding in the rumble seat of a 1928 Model A Roadster. I waer mostly bowties, but do switch back and forth. On sundays and times when I dress formally I wear a monocole which attracts much attention, but people seem to like it. Like Nick D above, I'm also an avid kilt wearer. This St. Patrick's day my boys and I all wore our kilts. It was quite cold here in Newport, RI!

I'm married and have eight children, (no, that's not a typo) six boys and two girls. I was trained as a classical musician (trombone) but have always loved the Big Band era. I still have a large collection of original cuts of the great ones. I spent eight years in the army band (five of that in Germany where Big Band was king). I'm now an officer in the navy. I'll be leaving soon (again) to go overseas to do what we do and try to send pics of my classic style throught the world.

It's great to be a part of FD. Such a great blend of wit, information and just plain friendly banter. I hope I can attend a get together before I "ship out" so I can meet some of you.

M L Correa

New in Town
Hi folks...

Hi, I am a newcomer to this site. I am very happy to join this group. My interest for hats began when I was a teenager. I believe I could credit such interest in the 1940s American serials reprised in one of our TV channels when I was younger. I loved those serials. Since that time (late 1960s) I became a "1935-1950 lover" (cars, airplanes, clothing/fashion, films, history, everything...). My first hat was a straw hat, given to me by my father, when I was 15 y.o. In 1996, when I was 33 y.o., I decided to wear hats on a daily basis. My fellows and other employees from my work (I live in Brasilia, the capital of Brazil) took me as an eccentric guy, but all direct comments about my hats have been so far positive. To wear hats in a daily basis was not that difficult, because I wear suits everyday.

In the U.S., you have well marked four seasons as a good reference to shift from fur felt to straw hats. Here in Brazil, such shift from "warm to cold" you will find only in our southern States. In central parts of the country we have a short and mild winter. In the northern areas (Amazon and Northeast regions), it's hot all over the year. In such hot places, straw hats are the only alternative, of course. In Brasilia, due to its altitude (3.450 ft), we have a mild temperature (something between 57 F¬? and 82 F¬?, or 15 to 30 Celsius degrees). I wear fur felt hats when it is overcast or in a sunny day with fresh air. With a bright and warm sun, I wear one of my straw hats.

I am not a hat collector. I have no more than 13 hats and wear all of them in rotation. I have one Stetson, two Borsalinos, three Brazilian hats (Ramenzoni, Cury and Pralana), one German Mayser, two Italian Guerras, two Biltmores, one Austrian Collins and one straw hat without markings. I consider the Stetson and the Guerras my favorites. My personal choice are the hats with straight crowns, wide brims and tear-drop shape (I'm a tall man). To wear hats with suits everyday is easy. The challenge is how to match a fur felt with casual wear. I believe that a light jacket would be necessary to match the hat.

I do not have any expectation that one day hats will be fashionable again. Fashion do not last longer. That's the rule of business. Hats should not be a matter of fashion. It is a matter of personal style. Here where I live I only see men - a few ones - wearing hats (I'm talking about urban areas. Of course, in our country side, there are many "cowboy" hat users, particularly in southern states, where you will find rodeos similar to the ones in the United States). Women, by their turn, are getting more and more casual here.

Well, that's it ! Best regards,

Marcio Correa

anabolina

A-List Customer
Hola

Another newbie,

I just love the vintage look. I've watched b/w movies since I was a kid and have always looked the fashions. Now I'm older and can actually afford to buy some of the cheaper vintage items. I love the looks from the 40s and 50s. Also I come from a family of history obsessors so I come by it honestly. ;)

I found this site when looking for vintage makeup and hairstyles a year ago and I finally joined yesterday.

I'm another dallasite and busy librarian/student (taking grad classes) who has little time to indulge these obsessions I keep collecting. Oh well...

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
You are all so sweet!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I have been browsing around for a while and thought I should finally post something! There are some really great topics and posts here and I look forward to getting to know you all!
Kisses,
Meggan Lane

Rafter

Suspended
After reading so many introductions written with such savoir faire, my own "introduction" I fear will come off as quite pallid. Then again, oatmeal isn't exactly exciting either, and that's been my breakfast staple for years.

I grew up in the Big Apple and now reside in the town of New London, CT.
In a way I feel like a fish out of water in CT, but I do enjoy the quaintness and slower pace there....and I get to see many great music legends at the Mohegan Sun which is a stones throw from my new digs.

I've always had a passion for all things retro- especially the sophisticated clothing, music, autos and films of the 30's and 40's. The fact that the discussions that take place here with people who have so much knowledge and enthusiasm for days past in general is something that I enjoy and admire a great deal.

So cheers to all you ladies and gents....This forum is one class act!!!

Looking forward to many intelligent and literate conversations here.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Hello all!

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I just joined recently, this website is quite a gem!

My name is Angela and I don't think I could possibly be farther away than the majority of the members on this site, I'm from South Carolina ;o)

Kimberly

Practically Family
Welcome everyone! I am so happy to see all of the new members here! We have a lot of fun and I am so glad you decided to join us! :eusa_clap

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
New, as of today!

Hello new friends,

I found the Fedora Lounge while looking for information on the car in Topper (Cary Grant, et. al.) and liked what I saw. . . . the car and the Lounge!

Before I found the lounge, though, I'd already purchased a subscription to Classic Style Magazine and a book about Cary Grant from the website. Cary Grant is my favorite Golden Era actor, along with Catherine Hepburn, his co-star in The Philadelphia Story, and other films. More favorites are the Marx Brothers, Hope and Crosby, Abbott and Costello, and any golden era detective movie, or movies about the mob. If it's black and whute, it's worth watching.

I also read a lot of hard boiled crime. I have a membership with Hard Case Crime and read each novel as they appear on my doorstep. The books written before 1960 are the better ones.
I've already read most everything by Hammett, Chandler, Macdonald (Ross and John D.) and Spilane, and almost all of Donald E. Westlake's Dortmunder series and a few from him as Richard Stark. I recently started the Shel Scott series by Donald S. Prather (I also like Kinky Friedman's work, but that's another era.)

I love automobiles from all eras, but especially those of the '30s. (I have and drive a '67 Chrysler.) The clothing, men's and women's, are much better than today; they show a lot of class and dignity, not a lot of skin (leave something for the imagination!) People cared more about each other back in the golden era. And patriotism meant standing up for your country, not lying down for the enemy.

(Sigh) I was born into the wrong era. Anybody got a time machine I can borrow for a few generations?

Well, enough about me. How about you? :eusa_clap

Happy to be aboard,
Lee

"I knew I wasn't as stupid as I looked. No one was."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot