Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Since this seems to be the place to do it, I'm going to go ahead and post a few pictures here for everyone. I'm including a photograph of me wearing my newest addition to my hat collection-a Bailey Ivy (Devon as I've also heard it called) newsboy cap, and checking the time on my Waltham 1904 pocket watch.

me_3.jpg

This next photo is of my desk at home, which includes one of my two antique fans. The other is at my dorm at school, which I do not have a photo of at the moment. The banker's lamp is a simple one I purchased at Target a few years ago. The phone is a circa 1930's of unknown make--and yes, it indeed works.

MyDesk.jpg

The next photo is of one of my prized items. The phonograph is a circa 1948 Zenith CobraMatic. It actually belonged to my grandfather on my mother's side. It had been in storage for at least fifteen years. I took it out and had it restored--new tubes put in, the idler was rebuilt, and a new power cord was installed among other things. It works like a charm now once it warms up enough and plays Glenn Miller like none other.

cobraopen2.jpg

Next is the Circa 1904 Waltham pocket watch, which was my high school graduation present about three years ago. It works well, and I wear it every now and then.

waltham.jpg

Last but not least are my two favorite wristwatches. The one on the left is a circa 1960 Lord Elgin 23 jewels.

The one on the right is my favorite. It is a circa 1958 Benrus Dial 'O' Rama. Basically the first idea of a digital watch. These apparently never really caught on, and are rare to find these days. Both work and I wear them on a regular basis. (I apologize for the picture being sideways...couldn't get the computer to like it and turn it for some reason)

elginandbenrus2.jpg

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
:eek: I hope this is not too late, but I think I'd better introduce myself. I've been a little shy about it, but here I go...

My name is Michela and I absolutely adore vintage-everything, music, movies, arts(fine, architecture) and especially the clothes.

I've had a fasination and love for costumes, and have had a soft spot for the regency, victorian, edwardian and even the medieval period, but my favourite eras are 20's-40's. The 50's is great also. I love costume design and thinking of starting a course. Have to learn basics first.

It's nice to come across other people that have the same interests as me and get advice and tips from other ladies (and gentlemen) as well. :)

jungle_red

New in Town
I'm new - clearly! Long time stalker, first time poster.
I'm just about 21, and while I love, love vintage stuff I mostly wear vintage inspired clothes than actual vintage, partly because of a dearth of it where I live, and partly because I'd be scared to damage it.
I'm a total 30s girl, down to the music I listen to and the way I apply my blusher, lol!
From my past stalking this looks like such a great forum, that's going to be so much fun to hang out in

anabolina

A-List Customer
positivelypinup said:
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I joined a few days ago. I've been looking on here for a while now but I finally joined. Took me forever to get the correct email server. I've seen some you ladies on livejournal in the vintage hair community. Its great to be around so many other people who are obsessed with vintage culture just like me. I'm about to move to dallas.. I'm actually taking a break from packing right now but, i should probably get back to it. Thanks for the welcome!

What part of Dallas are you moving to? I live just south east in Seagoville and work in Mesquite.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Greetings to all!

As this forum seems to be non specific, general good time conversing, I will introduce myself here.

Hi. :D

I have been lurking and reading for a while now, and have enjoyed "eavesdropping" on all the great conversation.

I love the style and flair of good vintage clothes, transportation, and buildings, and stumbled into the lounge in a rather roundabout way.

I am a member of several "hot rod" websites, and there was discussion of classic leather jackets, which led me to search out "bomber jackets" like the one I used to wear in high school. I have always wanted an A-2 with nose art on the back, and squadron patches etc. In pursuing that end, google came up with several "hits" for the fedora lounge. Thus, here I am...

I have always enjoyed wearing hats, from a very young age, and only recently have felt compelled to really "get into" hats again.

My only hats consist of a truly old "Indy" fedora I bought new the summer Raiders of the Lost Ark was released. I believe I was in seventh(?) grade and remember wearing it everywhere!! I wore it to school, and out to play, and on stage "jamming" with my music teacher Mr. Staples. Good times.

For the curious, it is an Eddy Bros. Lost Ark fedora that, at the time, WAS the Indy hat to me. Even though it had the wrong crease/bash I WAS Indy when I wore it.

The only other hat I own is a trendy sort of stingy brim "fedora" that I bought for fun on a whim. But they rekindled my interest, so all to the better.

A hat I no longer own, but truly miss, was my dove grey Stetson fedora I wore to the girls treat dance my freshman year high school. Beautiful hat, I looked AWESOME -to use the vernacular of the period.

Thanks to the forum, I've returned to dressing the way I enjoy and dressing "better" than in the past. Seeing as I teach music to 4th and 5th graders at 6 different schools, jeans and casual buttoned shirts were the order. It's fun to wear slacks and dress shirts again, alas, my suits have been outgrown around my equator, but through diligence, they will make a triumphant return!!

Thank you for your time, I look forward to spending far too much of my own reading and learning.

dvilla

Brooksie

One Too Many
Welcome DavidVillaJr,

Nice to see yet another person in my age group here ... I too was in 7th grade when Raiders of the Lost Ark came to the theatres! My cousin Tammy and I had to run out and see it as soon as it hit the silver screens!

Brooksie

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome!

Hi David! Welcome to The Fedora Lounge. It's always nice to see a new face here.

Well, a warm welcome to you! I look forward to learning more about you and reading all of the contributions you will make to our cozy, not so little anymore, lounge.

Here let me be the one to buy you your first drink. I hope a beer is OK, I'm still working on my Tuacka Sidecar:D
Cheers
:cheers1:
Oh and here's something to eat, you should never drink on an empty stomach!:pizza:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome David! I'm sure you'll find, like the rest of us, the Lounge is a great place for learning more about hats & the Golden Era, as well as just having a lot of fun with some like-minded folks! Enjoy

oswulf

New in Town
Howdy all!

I guess I should do the formal introduction thing. I've been lurking here for a couple months and posted a couple times, but haven't gotten around to saying hi on this thread yet. Hi!

I've been the mad hatter in my family most of my life, but I suppose my first fedora was an old original Indiana Jones hat I bought not long after the first movie came out. I loved that hat, and it sort of defined who I was for a long time until I was riding a ferry across Puget sound standing at the bow enjoying the scenery when a gust of wind blew the hat into the ocean. I actually thought about going after it for a second or two until good sense got the better of me. To add to the annoyance was the $20 bill tucked in the sweat band. Not long after that I discovered the Jackson Hole Hat co. and had them make me a gorgeous fedora/outback style hat in premium beaver, still probably the best hat I've ever owned and I still wear it occasionally though it now needs stretching and reblocking. I've had several hats from them since until their prices went through the roof.

I never leave the house without a hat on my head and the fedora style is my absolute favorite, though I do like a little wider brim on them. Got hooked on those cheapo wool crushers for quite awhile, so darn comfy to wear, they just don't hold up as well as fur.

As far as the vintage clothing goes, I tend to favor a safari style look but in new stock, never been much of a suit and tie guy and in this little podunk Idaho town I'd really stand out as an even bigger oddball than I already do. (the kilt phase really threw the locals for a loop)

This forum really does seem like a friendly place and it seems you all have some get togethers occasionally, which sounds like a lot of fun. I hope to be a part of it myself.

Just ordered an Akubra Riverina to make a safari type hat out of A La: Mike K's thread. I loved the way his turned out so I thought I'd try my hand at it.

See you around the forums.

Rick aka Oswulf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart