Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

MsChantillyLace

New in Town
What a delight to meet you all!

My name is Lacey and I'm quite exited that I have found the Lounge, though I admittedly wear a fedora on quite rare occasions.

My passions in the past harkens to the 40s, primarily, though I do find the 20s, 30s, 50s, and 60s, quite interesting as well. My personal style is definitively from the 40s, as my avatar may suggest.

I adore vintage apparel and wear it and retro-styled new pieces with great frequency. One of my favorite pieces is a 1947 navy blue chiffon dress with cream colored polka dots and a matching belt. I have a small, lovely collection of vintage furs, and vintage or retro shoes and clutches. I have my own company and part of my company's "branding" is also my image-- so I quite frequently am found in vintage or vintage inspired apparel. (For example, I love some of Kenley Collins' and Michael Kors' designs, and Diane von Furstenberg's "A Foreign Affair" collection). I also love a number of other vintage things, such as my mix-and-match bone china collection and leather luggage set. So chic to tavel with (and nice with the not-so-great TSA travel restrictions).

When it comes to dating, I'm quite a bit old school and prefer my beaus that way as well. If a gentleman comes to pick me up and doesn't open the passenger’s door, I'm rather disappointed. The same is true of a gentleman that does not open an entrance door to a building or assist with a coat-- good etiquette and civility are cornerstones to healthy relationship. These things seem all but gone from modern society and courtship.

I am looking forward to diving into this Lounge and all the conversations herein. *curtsey*

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
Hi,
I'm new.
I'm a girlie, 25 from London, England.
This forum looks fantastic. :)
I look forward to speaking to all of you at some point.
I am very in to 1940's - mid 1950's , i guess i'm a rockabilly girl. I have a rather unhealthy, or i guess (hopefully) most people here would think, healthy obsession with the by gone era's.
I'm trying to learn to swing dance, but i'm not so good. more practise needed.
I love to get dressed up and i've modelled for a couple of cheesecake sites.
I feel a bit silly writing about myself now.
Hello all. x

scorp79

New in Town
New from Chicago

Hi Ladies!

I just joined yesterday & posted about the Golden Era wedding I'm planning as well as my new baby (a 1923 victrola!) I'll be 29 this Halloween & live in Chicago with my fiance. I'm into geneaology and jazz music. I'm a big fan of the fashion of the 1920's-40's... and I think the 50's may be growing on me quite a bit. ;) I look forward to talking with you and hearing all of your great stories...

jessicarabbit

New in Town
hello all

I'm nearly 30 and live in sydney. I found the lounge while doing a google search for 40s hairstyles and just love everything about this place. at last I can share my love for the golden era! hooray!

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies!
Where do I start with the introductions? Hmmm...ok well I am 25, I live in Los Angeles and I am a full-time freelance makeup artist. I LOVE vintage makeup/makeup looks as well as hairstyling. It came across this forum a couple of years ago but have been a longtime lurker until I decided to just go ahead and join :)
It's so nice to be able to talk about vintage hair and makeup with people who actually care :D
I hope to not only learn more from you ladies, but offer help in any way I can.

Baron Kern

New in Town
Hello All

Hello, A pleasure to be here.

I figured I would just jump right into things here. I am 20 years of age, to be 21 in mid October. I have been collecting antiques for sometime now, my grandmother got me started when I was very young. My parents have always been into more vintage items as well but think I have fallen off of the deep end as more recently I have began to acquire vintage clothing and wearing them from time to time. I have a nice frock coat that was made during the end of the nineteenth century (like 1870-1880 or so). Some shirts with detachable collars. Ascots, Cravats, A nice tophat. Some things I wear regularly, like the collars and the ascots as these can pass off for modern wear. I even drive a 1985 caddy, though thats hardly close to the era we are all talking about here :p

Currently I am a student at the University of Hartford in West Hartford CT USA. I am majoring in Computer Engineering and Mathematics. I have recently gotten into estate sales, as a student who does need money from time to time. But I have a pretty broad knowledge of an array of things from the mid to late 1800's and early 1900's. I collect early lighting, and am more recently getting into collecting Victorian clothing, phonographs and pocket watches.

Even though my interests seem to be founded in a period a bit early than what this message board caters to, im sure I have lots of relevant things to say. It seems like a nice community of people who enjoy vintage items for more than just collecting. :)

ThedaLove

New in Town
Hi everybody :)

I'm thrilled to have found you! I know I should have posted an introduction, before posting more than ten times, (!) but I am an obsessive geek who plunges headfirst into exciting venues, at times, neglecting the order of steps...I apologize if I've been out of line ...I have no idea of how to keep things simple !

I'm a stay-at-home-mommy for the 1st time in my Life, after a career in education...I have a little boy, almost 5, who has Down's Syndrome. He is a manipulative little genius, albeit with a few developmental delays (ie in communication), & he keeps me on my toes! He fills my time; he is a surprise giftie who exhausts me, thrills me, tests my patience, exasperates me, & fills me with Joy. He is a sponge, who soaks up & memorizes words & songs, letters, numbers...He will break all stereotypes. His daddy, my husband, hails from England's West Midlands, where I lived for nearly 4 years, and where our babe was born.

We returned to my native NY State in 2005, but we are still setting up Life here (it's all our Journey...) Life is not easy, but each Moment contains a seed of Joy or Hope...I try to listen to everything & everybody around me, in an effort to hear the unspoken language of hope & love which lives in each entity of Life. Every Moment counts...

I'm an idealistic, eccentric, obsessive girl who comes off as a flake, but who is actually a language/writing/reading geek...I'm fabulously addicted to dramatic eye makeup, with an increasing fascination with lip makeup. I believe in ghosts, Time travel, ice cream, and coffee. I wear eclectic clothes from at least two continents, and I have been called a hippy/goth/Romantic/weirdo more times than I will ever be able to count...but I love it! I have finally come into my own, since meeting my SoulMate a few years ago...

My vintage eras are mainly the 20's and the years between 1967-1971.

I am constantly broke, but I feel extraordinarily Rich.

I love Theda Bara (whose actual cultural origins are quite similar to mine);
I love Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison, Kate Bush, and Elton John. Music is another Extreme Passion (yes, that's redundant) & almost every Musical genre
appeals to my senses. I love to laugh and I love to cry...I love my husband, my son, our kitties, and
I love my Life.

I want a bunch of money so I can buy dresses from the 20's, altho I have nowhere to go right now. I wear vintage 20's looking lips & Siouxsie Sioux 80's
eye makeup quite often, even to be at home, & I collect MAC cosmetics (& other brands, including *many* drugstore brands...my True Favorites.)

The Besame sale led me here, via another forum, & I believe my parcel will arrive tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to sleep Tonight!!!

I'm too pale for MAC's lightest foundation, and I have black unruly curly/frizzy hair and almost black eyes. I have never felt I fit in anywhere, exactly, until the Internet opened my eyes to the fact that many people share my views & my passions...I am not alone...Technology has its hand in uniting scores of people who need to meet each other! I met my SoulMate on a Kate Bush fansite, but I was not seeking Love, after a failed marriage...

Most likely, I've written too much here...I actually feel quite selfish in telling so much about "me me me," but now it's written and perhaps I will post it.

Thanks so much for reading. My love for The Fedora Lounge took no more than a few seconds to bloom. What a wondrous way to celebrate valuable aspects of Life which not everybody realize...we all have our areas....I am thrilled my areas of interest and passion lead me to a place like The Fedora Lounge.

Peace & Love to all,
oOoOxXxX ThedaLove XxXxOoOoO​

hi ladies

First let me say I am Glad to meet all of you ladies. I am 24 years old and am a 40's and 50's obsessed girl. I love the Mexican golden era. Maria Felix and Miroslava are my beauty icons. I currently live in the san joaquin valley. I like to read , collect vintage purses and clothing. I am makeup obsessed and have yet to meet a red lipstick I don't like. I am looking forward to becoming better aquainted with you all.

ThedaLove

New in Town
Mojito said:
Hallo all the new ladies! I'm always thrilled to see another 1920s enthusiast arrive, ThedaLove.

Hi Mojito :waves: :)

Thank You! I'm thrilled to meet you! I feel myself falling into the 20's lately...I *really* need a tardis.

Do you have a tardis? Does anyone have one? (slightly used is ok....
as long as it will take me to a speakeasy
( & maybe to Freddie Mercury's dressing room, during the 70's) for my 1st trip.

Please accompany me, Mojito.
I'm sure you know more about the 20's than I do...
You can show me around, ok?

Thankx!

xXxXThedaLoveoOoO​

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
Good morning ladies and gentlemen.
I stumbled accross this forum last week and got very excited indeed!
Let me introduce myself:
I'm 25 and currently live near London, England.
I'm more into the 1940's and 1950's. I don't own an awful lot of vintage as i've never been able to find anything that will fit me, however, most of my clothing is repro and i try to customize and sew some of my own things.
I love Jazz, swing, bluegrass and rockabilly music and i'm am trying to learn to dance. I've nearly nailed the Charleston. :)

I hope to get to know you all better.
;)

thistreasure

New in Town
new here

Hi all - I'm new here as well...been lurking a while and glad to know I'm not the only "weirdo" out there who loves dressing vintage. I particularly love the late 40's, early 50's, mostly because I've found it flatters my figure best. I've earned the nickname "Donna Reed" at work - I love that! Anyway, hi to the rest of the newbies and those who have been here for a long time.

Anwen

New in Town
Hullo, all. I've found my way here while looking for info on 40s style, and have been reading for a couple of weeks, now. I am keen on 1930s-50s styles, and especially late '30s-40s. I don't own any actual vintage clothes, but I'm learning to sew, and have been practicing pincurls. I'm also planning to knit a 1940s style jumper, and am knitting a cardi for my DD at the moment. I live in London, and will be hopefully attending the Wimpole at War event in two weeks time in Cambs. Oh, and my daughter is currently getting dragged into my 40s obsession, as she is very interested in WWII from the child's perspective and especially evacuees - I'm currently reading Carrie's War and she's having it next!

I've noticed quite a efw Londoners on here, which is great! I don't always look as good as I'd like, as I am a single mum with a disabling chronic illness (similar to MS) and frankly a lot of the time I'm doing well if I have remembered to put my shoes on the right feet, so if any of you have been stared at jealously by a woman with a purple spotted walking stick, that may well have been me! I am autistic/AS, as well, so I'm pretty likely to actually stop people and tell them they look ace, but when people are dressed full-on vintage I sometimes feel a bit more shy...

Kookie

New in Town

Hi everyone! I've been looking at the threads here for the last 4 years and never really got the nerve to join, but here I am now! I'm 31, for Montreal and love the 40's, 50's fashion. I've been doing the retro inspired look on and off for 10 years, and always find that I want to go back to it. I found a lot of helpful tips here and maybe some of you can direct me to vegan friendly repros and such!

tallulah87

New in Town
Evening all!
So, I just joined the Lounge at the grand old age of 21, though I have been a lover of all things vintage since the age of 15-ish. I'm mostly a fan of the 1930s/40s...maybe early 50s too, at a stretch!
I'm currently living in Leeds, UK and just completed a degree in History and I start my MA in Early Modern History next week! Scary stuff :eek:
I have previously lived in Boston and Dallas until the age of 16 when the family moved back to the UK. I'm hoping to be back in the US sometime next year!
Nice to meet you all and I hope to get to know you a little better.

tallulah87

New in Town
Hi ladies!
I'm Tallulah and I just joined the Lounge at the grand old age of 21, though I have been a lover of all things vintage since the age of 15-ish. I'm mostly a fan of the 1920s/30s/40s...maybe early 50s too, at a stretch! Love art nouveau/deco and I recently started collecting Deco jewellry, although at the moment funds are quite low, so, its at a standstill for the time being. Also love all the classic movies, especially Myrna Loy, Vivien Leigh and Ingrid Bergman. Watch alot of world cinema too, when the mood strikes!
I'm currently living in Leeds, UK and just completed a degree in History and I start my MA in Early Modern History next week! Scary stuff
I have previously lived in Boston and Dallas until the age of 16 when the family moved back to the UK. I'm hoping to be back in the US sometime next year!
So nice to meet you all and I can't wait to get to know you a little better x

graverobbergirl

New in Town
:) Hi!

I'm so excited that I found this forum. I love that you all have adopted various vintage styles as your own. So unique!

I've always loved period clothing, and since I've gotten into sewing clothes over the past few years, I couldn't resist dabbling in some retro, vintage, and period styles. I've tried Medieval, Regency, a 50s Hawaiian dress, and 40s so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda