Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

zygote

New in Town
Hello ladies.

I've been lurking around for a while now and decided to take the plunge and join :)
I'm a work at home mom to three, I knit and spin, can do a bit of fancy sewing but can't cut a pattern or sew clothing to save my life. I'm hoping to rectify that soon. I find the idea of hand sewing and couture techniques very interesting and have begun doing a little research about them.
I've just started playing around with my hair and while I haven't had any great successes I'm getting better. Practice practice practice, yes?

Thank you for having me, I do so enjoy the forum here!

Enjay

Steampunk_Doll

New in Town
Hullo from the Sound in Washington state. I'm a recent transplant from Southern California, and found the lounge when I googled 'how to do pincurls' lol I look forward to learning many new things here.

classiccraig

New in Town
Hi gang,
My name is Craig and just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I just recently found this site and have been browsing the Discussions for about a week now, and getting some great info and tips as well! I think it's great that there is a Community of folks here that appreciate the wonderful and classy fashions of the past, and of course my personal favorite, the late 30's-early 50's. A bit about me....... I live in NJ(though, probably only for another 2 years, then I move hopefully!),lived out in the Los Angeles area for a year and still have lots of friends in that area, I go visit once a year usually. I work in Information technology(though sick of it actually, my real love is History and also English, so I may change careers!), I'm single, and also have been a musician since I was a kid. Played in a few bands, one from the early 90's through the present, we had a CD out, were signed to a subsidiary of Warner Bros records back then, and were opening for national acts and getting radio airplay. Things almost fell into in place, but we never quite got over that hurdle and that's life, music business is a rough business. Anyways, we still play now, only covers mostly these days, but it's still fun, we're locally popular in the tri-state area still, and it's good to have that extra money these days. We've performed with many musical celebrities over the years, so it's been fun no matter what.
My dad is the one who got me into the classic movies, and indirectly, the classic men's fashions. He was in the Navy from 43'-45' until he got hurt, and was based in San Diego. He would hitchhike to Hollywood when on leave, and go to all the cool sites and dance halls, clubs, and of course went to the Hollywood Canteen numerous times. There he met Bette Davis, John Garfield, Alexis Smith, and even got to dance with Barbara Stanwyck one night! He met Veronica Lake at Paramount Studios one day, when they gave the sailors a tour of the studios. When I was younger, he told me about all these old Hollywood stars, and so began my love of classic movies, etc..... he showed me pics of these actors and actresses from back then, and to this day I feel they dressed so much classier, and the women in my opinion were much more beautiful and sexy! He got me into the Noirs also, telling me about some of the B movies too, and the actresses like Marie Windsor, Audrey Totter and others, and the Noirs are to this day most of my favorite pictures. His words to me about Lizabeth Scott were" oh yes, beautiful blond hair, classic looks, made some real good pictures, but that voice, wait until you hear her voice!" The first movie I watched with her I understood as soon as I heard her speak! Lizabeth, by the way, is 87 and as far as I know, in good health and spirits. I saw her 2 years ago at an event and she looked pretty good for her age and was dressed classy, as always. If you send her a birthday card and/ or fanmail with a pic, she still signs them personally for you.

My dad passed away 2 years ago, but left a great legacy with me for sure, and I am so very grateful. Like many here, Bogart is one of my faves, and The Big Sleep is my all-time favorite movie. I've been interested in getting some vintage style trench coats and fedoras that reflect his style, and have read a bunch of threads here from all of you smart and friendly Ladies and Gents that has helped me quite a lot. There is so much info and tips here that has really helped me I'm just starting out, so when I have a few coats and some Fedoras to wear, I'll post some pics! Well, sorry for blabbing on and on( I like to write ), but glad to be here. Now if only I could find a nice girl who shares my interest in the old movies and fashions!

DandyRags

New in Town
New in Town and Lovin It!

Hi to all! I found the lounge while searching for information on a men's vintage fedora I had purchased. I thought the site was just a "guy" thing at first but was so excited to find it is a "ladies" thing too. I love the friendly atmosphere and look forward to spending much time learning and maybe contributing a bit too. I added vintage to my ebay sales about a year ago. I love the 20s to 60's clothing and style and music and on and on. I now look for only vintage but I'm on a very big learning curve here so I expect the lounge will help me a great deal. I live in the rolling hills of the California Gold Country. I'm married and have a small herd of barn cats and a gorgeous quarter horse that thinks he is a dog. I look forward to more posting and chatting. Diane

zygote

New in Town
Steampunk_Doll:
Welcome from another newcomer. Pin curls are fun, there's some setting diagrams in a sticky thread about hair at the top of the Powder Room forum, if you haven't already discovered them. We attended Dragon Con this past August and saw some brilliant Steampunk, including a fully functioning "steam powered" wheelchair built by Dave from smeeon.com. Here's an image from his photostream http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/3903047246_0223768f8f_b.jpg

Diane:
Love horses! I had Aphc's and a POA for most of my life and have the scars to prove it! lol
If you're allowed to post links I'd love to see your ebay shop.
Enjay

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Re:Lizabeth Scott

classiccraig said:
Hi gang,
His words to me about Lizabeth Scott were" oh yes, beautiful blond hair, classic looks, made some real good pictures, but that voice, wait until you hear her voice!"

Welcome Craig!

I must say it is so ironic that you mention Lizabeth Scott!

I have been thinking of her recently, and even noticed a dvd in a supermarket, with her in it!

Sorry for the non sequitor!

Welcome again!

Sandi

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
classiccraig said:
Hi gang,
My name is Craig and just wanted to say hi to everyone here. I just recently found this site and have been browsing the Discussions for about a week now, and getting some great info and tips as well! I think it's great that there is a Community of folks here that appreciate the wonderful and classy fashions of the past, and of course my personal favorite, the late 30's-early 50's. A bit about me....... I live in NJ(though, probably only for another 2 years, then I move hopefully!),lived out in the Los Angeles area for a year and still have lots of friends in that area, I go visit once a year usually. I work in Information technology(though sick of it actually, my real love is History and also English, so I may change careers!), I'm single, and also have been a musician since I was a kid. Played in a few bands, one from the early 90's through the present, we had a CD out, were signed to a subsidiary of Warner Bros records back then, and were opening for national acts and getting radio airplay. Things almost fell into in place, but we never quite got over that hurdle and that's life, music business is a rough business. Anyways, we still play now, only covers mostly these days, but it's still fun, we're locally popular in the tri-state area still, and it's good to have that extra money these days. We've performed with many musical celebrities over the years, so it's been fun no matter what.
My dad is the one who got me into the classic movies, and indirectly, the classic men's fashions. He was in the Navy from 43'-45' until he got hurt, and was based in San Diego. He would hitchhike to Hollywood when on leave, and go to all the cool sites and dance halls, clubs, and of course went to the Hollywood Canteen numerous times. There he met Bette Davis, John Garfield, Alexis Smith, and even got to dance with Barbara Stanwyck one night! He met Veronica Lake at Paramount Studios one day, when they gave the sailors a tour of the studios. When I was younger, he told me about all these old Hollywood stars, and so began my love of classic movies, etc..... he showed me pics of these actors and actresses from back then, and to this day I feel they dressed so much classier, and the women in my opinion were much more beautiful and sexy! He got me into the Noirs also, telling me about some of the B movies too, and the actresses like Marie Windsor, Audrey Totter and others, and the Noirs are to this day most of my favorite pictures. His words to me about Lizabeth Scott were" oh yes, beautiful blond hair, classic looks, made some real good pictures, but that voice, wait until you hear her voice!" The first movie I watched with her I understood as soon as I heard her speak! Lizabeth, by the way, is 87 and as far as I know, in good health and spirits. I saw her 2 years ago at an event and she looked pretty good for her age and was dressed classy, as always. If you send her a birthday card and/ or fanmail with a pic, she still signs them personally for you.

My dad passed away 2 years ago, but left a great legacy with me for sure, and I am so very grateful. Like many here, Bogart is one of my faves, and The Big Sleep is my all-time favorite movie. I've been interested in getting some vintage style trench coats and fedoras that reflect his style, and have read a bunch of threads here from all of you smart and friendly Ladies and Gents that has helped me quite a lot. There is so much info and tips here that has really helped me I'm just starting out, so when I have a few coats and some Fedoras to wear, I'll post some pics! Well, sorry for blabbing on and on( I like to write ), but glad to be here. Now if only I could find a nice girl who shares my interest in the old movies and fashions!

Welcome, Craig! Wow - how cool that your dad met so many classic Hollywood stars! I'm so glad he told you those stories. You should write them down for future generations to enjoy. :) I wish you the best of luck in finding a gal who shares your interests - I'm looking for a guy who likes the classics, too!

John Warr

Familiar Face
Newcomer here

Hi There.

I found this group whilst lookin for information on Irvin flying jackets.
I am in Hertfordshire Uk and am interested in classic clothing of all kinds
- which is just as well as my wife Gwen & I repair and alter "stuff" to keep
a roof over our heads. :)
I have always been interested in history and the clothing of the 20s through to the 1950s.
I like fountain pens, old tools, sporting books, motorcycles and anything mechanical that needs tinkering with.
Great group.

DandyRags

New in Town
Another Greenbean Newbie!

Hi to all!, I introduced myself yesterday to the powder room. I'm still weaving my way around the lounge, so heres my info for all the members to see. I found the lounge by accident while searching for information on vintage Stetson 100. I was jumpin for joy when I found it was a site for "ladies" to post and chat. I started learning and selling vintage about a year ago on ebay, although I have sold on ebay for 11 years....I have fallen into my happy zone with vintage. I have always loved all things from the 1920 to the 1950's, clothes, hair, MUSIC, shoes and accessories. I love the friendly folks here that are so willing to share their knowledge to us that are new and for myself not-so-informed about vintage fashion. I live in the rolling hills of the Calif gold country with my husband, my gorgeous quarter horse and small herd of barn cats. Lovin life here in the country, tho it is getting a bit crowded the past few years. I look forward to chatting and posting. Other forums e???.....are not so good for me, one time venture into those chat rooms was enough to turn me off for a long time:( . So happy I found the fedora lounge!!! Ok enough rambling for now, I will watch from the sidelines and let someone else have the floor. Diane P.S. greenbean is what we call a new rider - the horse knows:eek:

reggiekaty

New in Town
Vintage sweatbands

Hi, I am new here. I am looking for ways to promote my website. We offer vintage sweatbands and socks:

To become a sponsor of this site, please contact MK
-LD

DandyRags

New in Town
zygote said:
Steampunk_Doll:
Welcome from another newcomer. Pin curls are fun, there's some setting diagrams in a sticky thread about hair at the top of the Powder Room forum, if you haven't already discovered them. We attended Dragon Con this past August and saw some brilliant Steampunk, including a fully functioning "steam powered" wheelchair built by Dave from smeeon.com. Here's an image from his photostream http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/3903047246_0223768f8f_b.jpg

Diane:
Love horses! I had Aphc's and a POA for most of my life and have the scars to prove it! lol
If you're allowed to post links I'd love to see your ebay shop.
Enjay

Enjay, I think I finally figured out how to answer a specific post....Aaacckkkk
I have no scars but had many, many bumps and falls:eek: I answered your question but put it in a reply so it showed up down the road, I have now figured out the "quote" system. Slow but sure thats the ticket! My etsy shop is called dotsattic link is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DotsAttic
and I sell on ebay under dandeerags. My listings are down right now as it seems no one is really shopping much. Diane

Jeff1970

New in Town
Howdy,

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Jeff, I live outside of Denver on a small ranch with my wife, daughter, and the various livestock.

I'm 39, in the middle of law school, with a few active careers behind me. I have a great interest in leather jackets, good boots, and generally dressing better. I am upgrading my wardrobe from "scruffy adventurer" to "active gentleman", so finding the Lounge was a lucky stroke.

I'm more of a user that a collector of anything, but I also have keen interest in classic pocket knives, motorcycles, and the related machines of adventure.

I do have one mildly amusing classic clothing story. Back in the 1980's, my dad had a seal colored goatskin G-2- a dream jacket for him. I , who can break an anvil playing with it in a sandbox, was not allowed to wear it...but I knew that if I had on the jacket a certain cheerleader at my high school would be impressed with my sartorial excellence. Dad and I were the same size back then, so I swiped it. Just going to wear it for the day. He'd never know it was gone. Of course, that was the day that he decided to take off of work early and bring me a lunch and a surprise gift by the school. What a surprise!

Take Care,
Jeff

victoriav

New in Town
hello fom manchester!

Hello all!

I have decided it is time for me to be an active participant rather than creepy passive lurker here. I've been thumbing the virtual pages of fedora lounge for some time now trying to find out how to best pin curl my mane (still working on that) and where to get some cracking vintage finds (etsy - after a glass/bottle of wine - eek!) and what actually is the best red lipstick (ruby woo of course). I actually recognise a couple of you from youtube hotsticks tutorials!

I also like to spend my time a-rummaging in charity shops for all things dusty and unloved but beautiful. Or "collecting dead people's stuff" as my friend likes to describe it.

I do not have cookies to bring to the party, but I do work in a cake shop so can gladly provide this sub classification of baked goods?

bye for now.

Vicky

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Hi girls!

I'm bunny, from Italy. Finally I'm allowed to write and not only read all the interesting stuff you post here.
In these days of reading I alrealdy learn a lot and I hope you can help me more and more, as I'm a totally newbie ;) !

Unfortunatly in Italy there's no much about my passion and it's very difficult to find and buy original items from the Golden Era!

By the way, this year I started my lindy hop lessons and next year I'll be ready for my dancing debut at one of the most important gathering event in Italy: Senigallia Summer Jamboree...I'm really looking forward :)!

Have a nice day!
B.

mrfish

New in Town
Hello:

Just a brief introduction.

I found this site quite by accident, but have enjoyed reading much of the information contained within. Was quite surprised to find that much of the stuff that I enjoy is of a vintage nature. I honestly hadn't thought about it, just bought things that I enjoyed. Who knew?

Am looking forward to the discussions.

mrfish

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Hi all

I have been hanging out in the powder and beauty rooms a lot but not made it any further yet, so thought I would introduce myself over here!

I am Claire and I live in Wellington, New Zealand.
I adore all things vintage but am specifically focusing on 40's and 50's at the moment (Im doing a blog project).
I love the fedora lounge and have learnt so much already.
Its great to feel part of the big wide world and know there are people with strange obbsessions for days gone by just like me!

I am very pleased to meet you all.
xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred