Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

m_lamb99

New in Town
Thanks for the information on Etsy. I will be sure to check them out.

Ebay is a love hate relationship for me. I get to addicted to it and then you have all the shill bidding and other scams that seem to go on. I am constantly seeing the same seller with lots of bids from new users with no history driving up the price of an item. Ussually about two weeks later that same seller has the same item relisted. Go figure.

Mike

The Big Dogma

New in Town
Howdy... New here!

Joined the Lounge a few months ago but never really posted anything. I do however gotta tip my hat to Tony Dickson (Tony in Tarzana) for encouraging me to get involved.

I am a retired Army Warrant Officer still puttin in time as a Federal Civilian working for Uncle. I am presently in South Korea doin my sworn patriotic duty helping to save the world from the little cranky old man up North with the bad haircut. Well, it pays the bills anyway! I am into classic films, the music and Mens styling of the 20s to the 60s. I got my fisrt Fedora style hats also thanks to Tony. Got a couple of Korean made hats one fo summer and one for cooler weather recently.

I had a 50 Indy Style Crushable Outback my son bought for me off Amazon but someone stole it when I was talking with an airline ticket agent. It was in the chair next to me and there were a lot of young soldiers in that office too and me being busy and stressed a bit, got up and left and after I got in my car, found I forgot the hat so I went back in side, and the crowd of young GIs were gone... And so was my lid. Yeah, it was my own fault for leavin it sit buI was amazed that someone wanted it that bad and that one of America's finest pinched it.

I have ordered a Stetson Nostalgia to replace it. Bottom line is, I am now hooked on hats!!! Now I am going to try and get some Vintage Style suits made at some of the old Tailors in Seoul who have been serving the US Military since the end of the Korean War. Theres just a chance they remember the old classic cuts! I'll find out in a couple of weeks I hope!

The wife now thinks I need professional help, Thus, is why I chose to have my membership in The Fedora Lounge so I can get some "Therapy" Glad to be here and look forward to meeting more of you and learning more about all things vintage!! And special thanks again to Tony!

MissMeraRose

New in Town
Hello ladies, I am Mera Rose!
I am a high school student from Central California, but I spend most of my time acting and dancing.
I found The Lounge while searching for vintage clothing quite some time ago, and I finally decided to join. My favorite era's have to be the 1940's and 1950's, but a lot of the vintage clothing I own comes from the early 1960's. Although I never had the chance to meet my maternal grandmother, I am lucky enough to be the same size as her all around and look quite similar to her; I feel that I carry her spirit on as I wear her clothes proudly as she used to.

MissMeraRose

New in Town
Thanks so much for welcoming me, Inky!

I am very lucky, she left me with some wonderful pieces. (And I can't wait to show everyone! haha)

Oh, how nice! I'm up a bit north, I'm a Fresno/ Madera girl.

R. L.

New in Town
Felicitations all

Rob here, at your service. I came for the hats, but was already posessed of a bent toward all things golden era, particularly the... well, everything. And this seems to be the place for all that as well.

Bartenders, stock up on Bulleit and Overholt and we'll get along fine.

Happy New Year!

fhiggs

New in Town
Hello ladies.

I thought I would take the plunge and introduce myself after lurking around here for a while.
I was introduced to the FL by a good friend of mine who is a very dashing chap, who knowing my love for vintage from the late 30's-50's thought it might interest me! I am astounded by the wealth of beauties here, and I hope that I can get to know some of you better.

As for me, I am 22 and live and work in London as a classical musician, viola is my instrument, and am studying for my masters degree at the same time. I love to wear clothes mainly from the 40's-50's but until this year hadn't been able to because of my size, I've managed to find some interesting pieces but am always on the look out for more! It can be a little hard in my profession to stand out somewhat so mostly when I am working I have to tone it down which is a shame!

I would love to start collecting furniture to match my tastes, and that's something I'm hopefully going to start doing too!
I think that's about it!

Oh. A happy 2010 to all of you also! :)

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
lurker coming out!

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking off and on for about a year. Actually registered in the fall and have made the leap into actually posting.

I have already learned so much from this site and all the very knowledgeable people on it.

I have been a huge fan of 40s looks since I was a teenager. Watching old movies, etc. It never occurred to me that I could try to look like that myself.

My dream hair has always been the Rita Hayworth/Lauren Bacall smooth wave thing. My grandmother was a hair dresser and for my wedding (16 years ago) I got her to do my long hair in finger waves. I had no clue at the time those styles were achieved with pin curls. My grandma thought it was a bit weird to finger wave hair that long, but she did it and it looked great. I have read all through the pin-curl thread, looked up tutorials and I think I have finally figured it out. There was lots and lots of puzzling over this and that, trying to sort it all out. I sure wish my grandma was still alive so she could teach me how to do all this. I did my first pin curl set just before Christmas and it came out pretty good. Just need more practice now and to try and get into a regular habit of doing it. Hopefully the amount of time it takes will come down. It takes me about an hour to do a roller or pin curl set and I don't have very much hair.

I like the look of clothes from 20s through to 50s (earlish 50s I suppose), but with my hourglass figure, 40s and 50s is the way to go. I'm not sure I could ever get into actually wearing vintage clothes. I am pretty hard on my stuff and I would just wear it out. I spent enough time working at heritage sites to hate the idea of wrecking something that can't ever be replaced. Having the items would be cool, but I would hesitate to actually wear them.
I inherited my mom's sewing machine and I would like to learn how to sew so I could make reproductions. All the style without the guilt!

After much time drooling over it, I finally ordered the 1947 dress from J Peterman to get me started. It looks just as good on me as I imagined it might! Long ways to go, but it is a start.

So, here's to learning even more from all your lovely selves!:eusa_clap

The Good

Call Me a Cab
New Member!

Hello everyone!

I'm a 20 year old college student, and you can call me J.B. or Mr. J.B., either way is fine. I wish for my real name to be anonymous for personal and security reasons. That aside, I have been lurking here in this forum for quite some time now. I really don't remember my first visit here very well, but I was drawn to it because I had an appreciation for vintage style and fedora hats. I guess the main reason I have developed an interest in the Golden Age, is through certain films, such as The Godfather, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the Indiana Jones series, Casablanca, and more.

For most of my life, I was not a hat-wearer, though I would very rarely don a baseball cap, mostly wearing them to actual baseball games, or when it was hot and I needed what little protection a cap would offer in such circumstances. I used to wear a tan-colored cowboy hat (and dress like one) between the ages of 8 and 11, and very often I might add, but something happened around 11, where I conformed myself to the more modern-era attire of t-shirts, jeans, shorts, and tennis shoes.

I would occasionally wear a polo shirt, but rarely venture beyond the standard t-shirt/jeans/shorts getup. Eventually, as I got older, around 18, I started wearing polo shirts more often, then more button-downs (though still short-sleeved). As you can see, I used to dress very casually, except for more formal events in my life, such as attending funerals and weddings. I used to never dress very well for church, just a t-shirt, jeans, tennis shoes, and... even shorts.

Anyway, my interest in fedoras... well, I've liked the style for as long as I can remember, but I haven't really considered wearing them until recently, due to perhaps being too shy to wear one in public, or self-conscious. I can remember my first real appreciation for the fedora came from The Godfather film's video game adaptation, in which the player can actually buy a wide assortment of period-correct clothing (no trench coats unfortunately, for some odd reason), including flat caps, fedoras (they appear to have the teardrop crease), and homburgs. I can remember last spring, on the last day of my college semester, I went to see what they were selling near the bookstore, and I actually saw a bunch of hats. They were trilbys or stingy-brim fedoras, though, and were all made of cotton or some sort of fabric or straw it seemed. I almost thought about getting one actually, as a way to break into the fedora wearing routine, I mean, they were ten dollars each. However, my ride called (I am 20, but I don't drive yet, did the education and all, but don't have an actual license and car), and I just decided to leave.

It wasn't until my birthday, months later in September, that I've got my first fedoras, made of straw and wool felt respectively. The straw was marketed online as a Panama, but I usually just consider it a straw, as it seems to have been falsely marketed by the Ultrafino Panama Hats company. I went to another fedora forum (you probably may know of the Fedora Chronicles), and found out from Panama Bob that they aren't authentic. Anyway, the other I got was one of those grey Jaxon C-Crown Crushable fedoras sold at the Village Hat Shop, well I bought it online. It turns out that the actual color was darker than what appeared online, but I didn't send it back. This is one I've worn more often, and for a wool felt, it is pretty warm for the fall, and this winter. I actually wore this lid pretty often, even to school.

This Christmas, however, I received an Akubra Federation IV (dark brown), well actually I specified this is something I would appreciate as a gift, but it was a grand gift nonetheless. Even today, I wore it while taking a walk. This is a hat I have been wearing out very often, probably by this point more often than the grey one. Anyway, there you have it. That's my story with fedoras. My affinity for vintage styles (not necessarily hats) grew due to this and another forum. I try to dress conservatively every day, if not actually vintage. For example, I own no actual vintage article of clothing from the Golden Era, but I wear button down dress shirts very often now, even with ties sometimes (and yes while going out in public too, coupled with a fedora), and I wear non-jean slacks and dress pants more too. I have, however, been wearing leather shoes (and belts for that matter) already for over two years now.

Anyway, I'm sorry if this is one big confusing mess of a story, but I'm glad to be of acquaintance here.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Finally!

just signed up a couple days ago and now i am finally able to post. i am new to this but have been in love with the 40's since i was a little girl probably due to the influence of my grandmother who i was very close to. i love the music, the style, the movies, the dancing, the whole kit n kaboodle. i am now just beginning to get into going full force with dressing in the fashion full time. up until now i have just been adding little things here and there but i am ready to go all out now. so i will be on here lots and lots because i have tons of questions and will be experimenting with my hair lots so thanks in advance for all of your help. oh by the way my name is amanda i am married and im a mommy! well enough about me i have lots to learn so im gonna get started.........;)

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
where can i find this info on the site?

i have been reading and searching all over but cant really find what im looking for. i want a simple list of the basics i need to get started with dressing 40's. i just want a list of the staple items i need and then i can add from there. if you can give me that info or point me in the right direction to get find it i would appreciate it.
thanks i wanna get started asap! im so excited!

PrairieSunrise

Familiar Face
Hello Ladies!

I'm quite new to this board, I saw a link for it on a sewing board last night and spent several hours browsing before bed!

My interest in the 1940-50's has been present for a long time, but only lately have I started taking a serious look at it due to Swing dancing! But I've been reenacting Civil War for several years and sew a good deal of my own clothing for lack of finding what I want in the stores.

I love clothing and vintage is my next era to tackle! I don't believe I'll ever be able to give off the truly 'vintage' look though because of my knee length hair which I am very much unwilling to cut! But if you ladies have any suggestions or know of vintage ladies with hair my length I'd love to suggestions. Hair styles are so important for being able to truly carry off a look.

At anyrate, enough rambling! I'm 20, working part time, and spend the rest of my time dancing, playing music with my family, desiging dresses for my Civil War impression, creating new outfits for my brother who does CW reenacting with me (I love having a nicely dressed guy around!) shooting, swimming around the political arena and other such hobbies.

Miss Tre

New in Town
Hello! I, like everyone on this board, am in love with the styles of the era. and everytime I surfed the web for info, a thread from Fedora would pop up, so I FINALLY decided to join. :)

A bit about me: I'm 35. I live in Florida with my husband and little boy. And I'm an actress. Every time I am cast in a play that takes place in the 40's I am happy as a clam. My gig at the Disney Studios is 40's based. I do street improv where we recreated the Golden Age of Hollywood. We are cast as a type (Director, talent agent, movie star, etc) and from there we create a character. I play a new kid in town I named Daisy Day.

My goal for this year is to really expand my wardrobe (Got off to a great start with a gift card from Daddyo's. Thanks Mama and Daddy haha). I want to expand that to undergarments. I would also like to learn to sew and step up my hair game.

I look forward to getting to "know" ya'll and all the great things I will learn.

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks...

Hi Folks:
I'm new to the forum, and I have to say the material here is great. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit better!
B/R,
TomS

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
hello!

"new"! known about this site for awhile.. just been really slow about joining :(
Looking forward to joining in the discussions!
My main passion is photography and silent films and I come from a family of vaudevillians ;)

surdanis

New in Town
New Guy: Jeff

Name's Jeff. Stumbled upon the forum weeks ago as I was surfing the Internet looking for a replica shearling coat (the one worn by the U-Boat captain and Matthew McConnaughey in the movie U-571). From here, I ran into Magnoli Clothiers. I've commissioned another "replica" garment from him, but that's another story (not entirely sure where I should post that one). Anyway, I can't say I'm much of a "vintage" dresser, but I do put a good deal of thought in the everyday wardrobe. I enjoy sporting the ivy cap and newsboy with my usual ensembles. Not sure if I fit in too well yet with the community types here, but I just thought I'd say hello. I enjoy reading the posts. And watching Mad Men. And the J. Peterman Co.

Mr Von Tiki

New in Town
Hi everybodies, it's my first post here, i'm a french guy, living in Paris now, and sometimes i'm in Canada.

Somethings about me : soooooo...i'm "old fashion" fanatic, and i like to use old things.

i did much jobs in my life, carpenter, re-build old scooters (vespa/lambretta) old european cars (mini cooper, fiat 500, buggy, vw) dental prothesis, and more, also, sometimes i make "tiki" in wood.

I re-build razors since one year, it's crossover of what i learn in my different jobs.

Of course i use them daily...

And yes, in my avart, it's my hair !!! héhéhé

You can see my work on my profil, OR on facebook (at "Monsieur Von Tiki") or on the veeery good and french forum "coupe chou club" section : "petites annonces" and i'm "imperator" too..

Thanks, and "see" you soon

*Monsieur Von Tiki*

PS : sorry for my english, i learn, and it will be better.....

ColeV48

Familiar Face
Hello there!
I was on the board a few years ago, but moved into the 18th century for a while, so now I'm back with a different name!
I'm 24 and live in Williamsburg, VA. I'm a tailor by trade with my own business and love all sorts of historical and vintage styles. Most things I make for myself are 1770s or 1940s (bit of a jump there). However, I just had a 1930s style wedding last month (still waiting on pictures!). I come here often to read, but figure I should get back to posting too!

S. Beagles

Familiar Face
Allow me to introduce myself.

Hello everyone, S. Beagles here. I've been reading the forums for several months and recently joined the Lounge. Seems like a great place with people of like interests. I have a small collection of vintage fedoras, a few news boy caps, and a couple of vintage suits. I am obsessed with thrift store shopping and do a regular weekend sweep of about six different stores in Chattanooga yielding anything from hats, shoes, suspenders, suits & ties to household items. Also love the Goodwill online auctions. Hope to meet some friends here and possibly display some of my hats. Thank you guys for having me.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24