Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

vintageTink

One Too Many
Hello, ladies! I've lurked forever and finally joined awhile ago, I've just never posted! :rolleyes:

I'm Melissa, turning 30 next month. Married to DH for almost 10 years, have two boys: Robert Jr (2 years) and Thomas (6 weeks).
I prefer the 40's, wartime and postwar, and the 50's. I've always been a WWII history buff. I sew and am currently working on the infamous Walk Away dress (Butterick 4790). I have a few repro vintage patterns but am always looking for more! I'd love to find some 40's blouses.

Preacher

New in Town
Hello

Greetings. Preacher is my actual nickname, as I am one. I Pastor in Southside VA, doing what is called "Church Restoration." I go to struggling Rural Churches and help them remember Who they serve, and why they exist, (which most of them seem to have forgotten) then, I go on to the next one.
I also have been a biker my whole life, and just started my 4th "Biker's Church". I am married to the same girl for 39 years, no children, she shares some of my fondness for the old days, (you should see her kitchen) but not all of it. lol
Concerning the old days, the 40's would be me. I use fountain pens exclusively, my desk is a Larkin drop front, (I know, it is wrong, but it was my Dad's and I like it) with the resident antique stapler, glass paper weights, sharpened pencils, journals, (not fancy, just blank books I like) and my 1941 Stromberg-Carlsen cast steel phone, that works just fine thank you very much, dial and all.
Dress is modern suits with old accoutremonts. (probably spelled that wrong, but you know what I mean) I wear cap toe lace up ankle boots or jodphurs, a 1947 Wittnauer square windup convex crystal wristwatch, carry a Parker 51 or a copy of a Duofold, mostly band collar shirts (still trying to find shirts with the long point collars.) I have 3 breast pocket wallets, one is a Swank like the one that James Whitman pulled out of his pocket when he was performing as Harry Truman in "Give'm Hell Harry." The other two are actually "pocket secretaries, all of them are 40ish, were my Dads. Our home is lit for the most part with period lamps, some purchased, some given, some built from Goodwill parts. We also have lots of oil lamps, mostly antique that were parents and grandparents. My radio list is in the section devoted to that, but I have a bunch of them, all working.
Music is usually Martini in the Morning or Pandora "Tony Bennet Radio" on the computer, or, if the weather is right, CHWO out of Toronto Ontario Canada on one of the old timer AM's. Love old movies, have quite a few, watch TCM and AMC a LOT. Wish is to have a 1950 Hudson Automobile I found recently, but not sure it is not beyond my ability to restore. Harley's are no problem, but a Hudson is a bit different.

I am very pleased that I stumbled onto this site. It is nice to know that common decency is not dead. A tip of my hat to you, and Blessings upon you all, I look forward to a joy filled continuing fellowship in here.

Randolph

New in Town
Howdy folks! Figured I as I've been reading here for quite some time I might as well introduce myself.

The name's Randolph. I live in the humid south, a little southwest of New Orleans. I work at a public library currently, hoping to get back to school to get my master's in library science in the near future. I'm interested in many different topics from the Great Depression and the Golden Age, from radio shows to suits to recipes to literature. I may not post often, but I'll likely be lurking in threads that catch my eye.

Pleasure to meet ya!

appy

Familiar Face
Randolph said:
Howdy folks! Figured I as I've been reading here for quite some time I might as well introduce myself.

The name's Randolph. I live in the humid south, a little southwest of New Orleans. I work at a public library currently, hoping to get back to school to get my master's in library science in the near future. I'm interested in many different topics from the Great Depression and the Golden Age, from radio shows to suits to recipes to literature. I may not post often, but I'll likely be lurking in threads that catch my eye.

Pleasure to meet ya!

Ah, Nick, Nora and Asta... LOVE the icon!! :D

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
I'm a bowin' an' a scrapin' folks...

Hi to you all,
I guessed there was a 'here I am' post placement thingie on here somewhere, and sure enough, here it is...:eusa_doh:

I reside on the far East Coast of Gt. Britain, closing in on retirement age these days, but, I suppose we all are in some form, or other...
Many moons ago, as I was growing up, I took a shine to a dated film 'Public Enemy', the James Cagney one. Whilst all the kids were wearing Davy Crockett hats, and The Lone Ranger hats, I wanted a 'gangster' hat....Not too many of those about in kids sizes, even these days. I went through purgatory with the desire to be a gangster, then I found out what it was all about, life is like that as you grow up, and the need diminished.
I have become somewhat selective in my tastes, some might call me downright obssesive about my likes and dislikes...
I dislike, to the point of it being a phobia, beads and buttons, the sheer mention and writing of the words makes my flesh crawl, jewelry of most types, leave me in a near state of panic, metal doodad's, are in the main okay, but ask first, thats a good person.....[huh]
I enjoy my fedora hats now, got quite a few, but, they are not that popular over here these days, but, it is getting better. I enjoy the Harley as well, '82 FXWG', gave up watching television some goodly while back, not missing it at all. I do watch old films though, all pre-1970's, right back to the silent era.
I do not need too, but, I enjoy walking with a stick, nothing special, just a stick, I enjoy curly moustache's, the wife doesn't, but, well, we do compromise for a few weeks, I wander this earth wearing one, cut it off, and then I start to grow another one, she reckons it makes me look old ????
I too, enjoy using a fountain pen, however, due to what they call a 'benign familial tremor', my handwriting is atrocious, who cares, I don't....
I gave up smoking some years back, but, miss the Peterson curly pipes, still got them, got some 'baccy' too, plus a heap of match boxes, all full, but, well....at least I don't stink anymore for the Grandkids.....each to their own though.
I keep banging on about it, but, it's new, I got a WW2 German greatcoat yesterday, grey/green wool, with a dark green collar, it's very long and makes me feel excellent, with my dark green fedora, I can go anywhere, and will, believe me....:p
Thats all folks, it's nice to be amongst like minded people at last, it's been a long time coming.....;)

Fingerstyle

New in Town
Settling in...

Well, I have to say, the chairs in here are really comfy. All the convenient hat racks are a nice touch, as well. I've enjoyed napping on the couch in the corner...hope I haven't been hogging it too much. I'm from Massachusetts, in my 50s, and I work in the computer field. A fingerstyle guitar player, married for 31 years. I've always liked hats (fedoras in particular), and wear 'em more than ever, now that I've shaved my head! I've been known to sport an Irish driving cap, and even a beret. Years ago, I lived in Texas for a while, so of course, I had a couple of cowboy hats (a straw Stetson was my fave). That's about it for the moment....hmm......looks like that couch is available again....:D

Rola

New in Town
Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm truly glad I've joined this community as I don't find many people in Real LifeTM who share this passion... It's good to know that there's a group of like-minded people who wouldn't berate my preferred style as dated and obsolete.

So, when did I catch it? Probably as early as when I was 4-5, when I first saw Indiana Jones and Vabank. Back in 1980s our public television was still airing comedies from 1930s, this explains why I still remember those catchy tunes. There's no escape, it's imprinted in me :)
My Dad himself is from 1938. I think this may make the generations gap a bit smaller. Or maybe this is how I want to see it.

Thanks to my Dad's aircraft modeling hobby I was always interested in aviation history (technical side of it), seeing WW2 period as the most interesting. I basically didn't venture any further until 2003, when I got into the IL-2 Sturmovik community (some gamers here on this forum shall recognize the title) trying to contribute some 3rd party content to this game. My interests got wider and wider... and I discovered that the more I learn about this era, the more hungry I am for new bits of info. I'm officially hooked now... but I doubt you view it as a bad thing?

I'm sure I'll learn a lot here - and I hope to share few things with You, too.

I'm mostly into 1930s. In 1920s cars and planes were still fairly blocky, neither do I love women's fashion from that period, sorry (1930s-1940s for me, ladies, thank you). For my people 1940s mean war which destroyed everything, and after the war we were forced to rebuild a completely different country, so yes for the cars, yes for the hairdos, but overall... what makes it weirder, I am a World War 2 buff... a love/hate relationship.

I don't dress up, except for occasionally wearing a 1920s aviation organization pin in my leather jacket (and no, girls don't fall for it ;) ).

I'm a self-taught jack-of-all-trades: a veteran computer whiz who can talk with you about the beauty of baroque music or late XIXc. paintings; for my project I did audio-video editing while I also studied advertising. And in the spirit of other translations of this saying, I'm currently unemployed, which is oh so 1930s :D

JamesOldBean

New in Town
I have spent countless hours reading all the threads in this fantastic forum and just blown away by all the absolutely amazing pictures! I just wish i'd had the opportunity to access information like this 30+ years ago.[huh]

Cheers chaps Jay.

GoldieChaplin

New in Town
Hello all! I've been lurking around for a while reading all these wonderful things about the vintage things I so love. My boyfriend from last year (we've loooong since broken up) got me into Charlie Chaplin movies and I've been hooked ever since. Very excited to have found this website! It's the bee's knees! :D

Dora Ainsworth

New in Town
Hello ladies!

I've been skulking around here for a bit but I'm excited to be a member of the community!

I've been a swing dancer since 1996 but it took a move to Los Angeles to reignite my love of vintage clothing. Especially shoes. I look forward to chatting away with all you!

Cheers!

ArtGirl

New in Town
m_lamb99 said:
Well being new here I am finding myself just a little overwhelmed by all the information and messages. I hope that I soon will reach full access stataus and can begin to develope some friendships here.

I was wandering if someone might explain "Etsy" to me? As for being deprived I think ohio is pretty deprived.

I have been interested in vintage for quite a long while and unfortunately never realized that there were others until the internet came and opened my eyes.

Etsy is a selling site for handmade goods, supplies and vintage. Google it, and you'll see.

Funny! I also was interested in vintage for so long (bought my first 40s hat at 12 years old) before the internet informed me there were other fanatics and subcultures out there. Being in the NY area, I never knew (even though I worked in a vintage shop here! The Vintage Culture seems to be a Western US thing), though I got an inkling when I moved to San Francisco for a year in 1990 and worked in a vintage shop there, it was the internet that really opened up the whole world to me.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Just wanted to say "hi" to the newbies and welcome :) This is a great place with lotsa knowledgeable folks!

I am always looking to make new friends and am currently "tweaking" my facebook page so, in the mean time, feel free to message me.

I LOVE talking VINTAGE :D

Sonia

amygeorgina

New in Town
Hello from SW London!

Hello everyone!

I'm very new around here so felt it only proper to introduce myself.

I've been interested in WWII since I was at Primary School where the older kids put on a play called Evacuees. So my interest I guess was primarily in the Home Front and the historical aspect of the 1940s.

In recent years I've become interested in it all again and took up Swing dancing last year with my partner which I love, although we're not very good, we even went to a dance on the HMS Belfast last year which was great fun!
IMG_3310.jpg

The only real problems I have is a Plus Sized body (roughly a UK 22/24) and a lack of confidence! If I could overcome these issues I really would dress 1940s all year round!

Look forward to getting to know you all better!

Amy :p

December

One of the Regulars
Hi Amy!

You, and your partner, look great in that photo! You have no need to lack confidence!

If it helps, I'm also plus sized (UK 18-20, depending on the shop) and I try to dress vintage every day, although sometimes that's not practical! My era is mainly 1950s.

Do you sew? It's relatively easy to find vintage patterns in plus sizes and that makes it more practical to build up a vintage inspired wardrobe than seeking out original pieces.

amygeorgina

New in Town
December said:
Do you sew? It's relatively easy to find vintage patterns in plus sizes and that makes it more practical to build up a vintage inspired wardrobe than seeking out original pieces.

We're trying to hunt down some patterns (my sister and I, both plus sized vintage lovers) with the hopes that our mother will make them for us. Not that she has a sewing machine anymore (I kind of blew it up....)

I can never decide between 40s and 50s - is it okay to have both at different times?! (mainly because I seriously covet a Vivien of Holloway dress)

December

One of the Regulars
amygeorgina said:
We're trying to hunt down some patterns (my sister and I, both plus sized vintage lovers) with the hopes that our mother will make them for us. Not that she has a sewing machine anymore (I kind of blew it up....)

I can never decide between 40s and 50s - is it okay to have both at different times?! (mainly because I seriously covet a Vivien of Holloway dress)

Have you tried Etsy? There are loads and loads on there. How did you blow it up???

It's fine to love both! I'm mainly 50s, with a fair dash of 60s and splashes of 40s and 30s. Whatever floats your boat :D

VoH dresses are lovely, but one word of advice- they're based on vintage sizing so they come up quite small. Make sure you buy on measurements rather than the size they state.

Ms*Raven*Lady

New in Town
Good afternoon, Ladies!!

I want to take a moment and formally introduce myself. My name is Raven and I absolutely adore this forum. I have loved vintage clothing, hats, cars, and antique odds-and-ends since I was a little girl. Now I am a twenty-something and I am gradually building up my vintage collection. I also enjoy billiards (specifically 8-ball and 9-ball), researching old-fashioned things, reading, and writing. I am very excited to meet all of you. :)

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Hi from Seattle

Hi everyone! I've been a tad obsessed with the Beauty and Powder Room threads since joining and have just found this thread. I have been really impressed with all the wonderful folks here on the Lounge.

My partner, Mahagonny Bill, has reignited my love of vintage clothes since he began snagging vintage fedoras, which led to a search for vintage suits. He picked up two vintage men's hats for me: the Stetson Whippet I'm wearing in my avatar, as well as a grey Adams porkpie. Vintage women's hats are not far behind.

I love the 30s and 40s - the fashions and the movies. Some of my favorites period movies are: Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, Best Years of Our Lives, The Lady Vanishes, White Heat, The Ladykillers, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Chaplin, Marx Brothers, Fred & Ginger, and the Thin Man movies, film noir. Modern faves include Coen Brother movies, Kurasawa, Lawrence of Arabia...oh, I could go on and on...

I sew, knit, and spin my own yarn. I'm also a doll collector (fashion and bjds). A big fan of the Gene Marshall line and I sew most of their outfits.

I've long been disappointed in women's fashion of the past 15 or so years and find the women's fashions of the 30s and 40s far more interesting in terms of construction, design, and good looks.

MB and I attend the Seattle Noir City every year and my goal for 2011 is to have a vintage wardrobe suitable for 7 nights of noir. Beyond that, who knows?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Hello!

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm an Australian woman, now living in the UK - I'll flesh out my profile tonight when I'm not at work...

I tend to dress vaguely retro - mostly sort of 50s - because it is much more flattering to my body shape, and the clothes don't go out of fashion! I've found this site to be an amazing resource and since you seem to be a happy, cheery, knowledgeable crew, I thought I'd climb aboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails