Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Miller Hats

hatflick1

Practically Family
I haven't been in the Lounge in a while. So this may indeed be old business. But have any of you seen some of the new offerings from Miller Hats?
http://www.millerhats.com/mdressfelt_index/derby2.htm
This Oakmont is one example. They now also feature Miller Fedoras as a separate category, as well as, new styles by Guerra under Italian Hats.
Always enjoyable to witness new offerings.
Cheers! It's good to be back!

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
HI YA FLICK AND WELCOME BACK!!

ALWAYS good to see new offerings. I am an owner of a Millers Guerra, great hat and underated as far as I'm concerned.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Yay! I'm a big fan of the folks at Miller. I like the look of several of these offerings.

PS- which Guerra do you own? I like the Salento and the Domanico.

Anj

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Miller does appear to have quite a selection. I notice many Stetsons and "made by Stetson" for Miller. Are the "made by Stetson" hats similiar in quality to regular Stetsons, and just different designs and specs, or are the of a second quality?

I've never seen the Guerra line before. How do they compare to the like-priced Stetson and Miller offerings?

Ralph

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone here have any experience with the "256 Miller Fedora" (see picture below)? According to Miller's description, the hat has a 4 5/8 inch crown and comes in a variety of brim sizes from 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch.

I have several hats from Miller and have been very pleased with their look and quality, but was wondering if anyone here had this particular hat and would care to give a review or show a picture.

Thanks.

256.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I believe that's the model they used to call the "Indiana Miller" before the Lucas lawyers stopped them. It was one of the preferred choices for an Indy hat a few years ago in the pre-Federation, pre-Adventurebilt era. Check IndyGear and Club Obi-Wan for more detail.

duggap

Banned
Big man, that is a nice looking hat but I wonder if the crown is tall enough. Having worn Art's hats for a while now, I have got used to the taller crowns and find that most of the newer hats you find today seem to have a smaller crown. I have two new Boralinos that I can hardly stand to wear because the crown is too low. But that is my taste, and it doesn't have to be yours.:)

Big Man

I like a taller crown hat with a brim in the 2 1/2 inch range. The 4 5/8 crown on the Miller is one of the taller "out of the box" hats I've seen. I know I really need to "go custom" (as with one of Art's hats), and will probabally do so in the not too distant future. However, I wear a hat every day and often times in less than ideal conditions, so am a little apprehensive about a $300 or $400 hat as an every day hat. [huh]

metropd

One Too Many
Out of every production hat I have ever felt Guerra (Italian hat maker featured on miller hats) demolishes the rest. It is in my opinion a hat the exceeds Biltmore including the "Eleganza". The reason I say this is I have both and Guerra is the paragon of production hats in modern times. It is by far better quality than Borsalino. I guess they have to be in order to compete with a monoply like Borsalino. I think many who own Guerra hats will agree with me. What do you think? I am very happy Miller has decided to offer so many Guerra hats now on their website. It is defenitley the right move.;)

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
Looking at the Manhattan and Oakmont next to each other, I was trying to distingush the differences between them.

Both have similar 2 5/8" bound brims and teardrop creases (4 3/8" front and 3 3/4 back). The only specification difference seems to be that the Manhattan has a 1 1/2" ribbon and the Oakmont has a 1 3/8" ribbon. Even though the difference is 1/8" of ribbon (and color), the hats look different.

Looking for other differences, it seems that the Oakmont's crease is deeper.

What do other FL members see as different between the Manhattan and Oakmont?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Big Man said:
I like a taller crown hat with a brim in the 2 1/2 inch range. The 4 5/8 crown on the Miller is one of the taller "out of the box" hats I've seen. I know I really need to "go custom" (as with one of Art's hats), and will probabally do so in the not too distant future. However, I wear a hat every day and often times in less than ideal conditions, so am a little apprehensive about a $300 or $400 hat as an every day hat. [huh]

Is that the same hat in your avatar pic? If it is it looks great!

When I first decided to get one of Art's hats, planned to wear it only on special occasions, Not just because I consider a special hat but because of how nice it is also. But I am wearing it ALOT more than I ever thought I would let myself. The more I wear it the more I love it, I guess the only way to give it a little rest is to get another which is in the process now!:D
I guess what I am trying to say is Art intends for you to wear them every day!:rolleyes: ;)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That oakdale, with the ribbon treatment and blocking it has, looks almost exactly like a '50s champ featherweight.

Big Man

indycop said:
Is that the same hat in your avatar pic? If it is it looks great!

When I first decided to get one of Art's hats, planned to wear it only on special occasions, Not just because I consider a special hat but because of how nice it is also. But I am wearing it ALOT more than I ever thought I would let myself. The more I wear it the more I love it, I guess the only way to give it a little rest is to get another which is in the process now!:D
I guess what I am trying to say is Art intends for you to wear them every day!:rolleyes: ;)

Thanks. The one I'm wearing in the avatar picture is what Miller used to call the "Raider". It has a "C-crown" crease and a 2 3/4 inch brim. I believe the old "Raider" and the "new" Miller "265 Fedora Hat" are probabally the same, except for the crease style. That difference in crease was what I was looking for from someone who may have one. The hat (or at least the one I have) is an excellent hat.

You are quickly taking me into a custom. I have a picture of my grandfather with his hat taken in 1928 that I'd like to have replicated. Dang it - there goes my tax refund check ... [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I don't even check ebay anymore, I will soon have my Art whippet or something like a Whippet and I have my Peters Bros, and will have my Adventurebilt by the end of the month. Maybe some day I will get a Borso, but anything I can think of that I would want Art seems to be able to make beyond your expectations! So send him that tax money and consider it an investment!;) I guarantee you won't regret it!:D
I do have a hankerin for a butternut slouch hat with crossed sabers on it though, maybe I need to see MajorMoore for that one. :)

Does Art do finders fees?lol lol lol

Ande1964

Practically Family
60CycleHum said:
Looking at the Manhattan and Oakmont next to each other, I was trying to distingush the differences between them.

I was considering the Manhattan just because I need a light gray hat. It seems to be about the only light gray available at Miller. I need to give them a call.

Anj

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm interested in this hat at Miller:

http://millerhats.com/miller_fedora/257_fedora.html

but I can't quite get a handle on what "President Finish" fur felt is. Can anyone clue me in? Mary at MH described it as sort of suede-like but not fuzzy, as I initially mistook her to mean.

How would this felt compare to, say, the felt used for an Akubra Stylemaster -- anyone know?

Thanks.

babs

A-List Customer
I just listed a Miller in the classifieds if anyone's interested.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43759
I have to say nicely built hats. This one was made by Biltmore I believe.. Not sure the model # but I can take some better pics and of any labeling if interested. Since those were taken, I've tried to clean up the feathers a bit. I accidentally hit them when I was brushing the hat, but they look nice I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points