Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New (old) Dobbs - feedback?

Canadave

One Too Many
I just got this hat, and am very happy with it. Does anyone know, based on the limited info from the sweatband, what it might be? There was no liner or label. There is nothing under the sweat except a handwritten "7 7/8".

Thanks for any opinions, specific or general!

Dobbs.JPG

Dobbs1.JPG

Dobbs2.JPG

David

That is a cool hat! Find me one like it---but a little smaller. LOL
You usually do not find many Dobbs of that era around with a bound edge. The ones I have run into either have under welts, over welts or a Guild Edge. Sort of unusual. I like it. That was some pretty good shopping there. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
...Its look like one of my Dobbs. Its called a Dobbs 15.

I have one that is actually marked "Dobbs Fifteen", but it has a Guild Edge, as JP mentions. Did they make Fifteens with the bound edge, like on this one?

David

Originally posted by Canadave
Looks bound to me...and it looks like my hat! I wonder why "Fifteen" isn't stamped into the sweat, like on my other Fifteen.

Find the original bill of sale and we can see if the guy paid $15 for it. :D
I think they might have dropped that designation latter in the 1950s but I could be wrong---I was before. :confused:
Whatever the case, it is still a cool hat. Now you need a trenchcoat to match. :cool:

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
David,

Mine had a re order tag under the sweat band and it said Dobbs 15. It was not printed on the sweat.

I was told by another hatter in Texas it was a very nice Dobbs 15. Early 40's.

You got yourself one fine fedora my man!:cool: :eek:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Dave,
First, there is a dead giveaway on the leather that it is early ( pre 1960) because the Dobbs logo is slanted, not straight on the leather. Thats the first sign. My guess is that it was renovated by a Dobbs authorized hatter using the name on the leathers but not all of the qualifiers ( 15, 20, etc). This way they can keep the Dobbs logo and still be affordable. The hat shape is clearly early but the curl on the back makes the brim seem a bit short. If I were pressed to guess it's age I would say between 1949-55. At any rate, good score!!

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
My guess is that it was renovated by a Dobbs authorized hatter using the name on the leathers but not all of the qualifiers ( 15, 20, etc). This way they can keep the Dobbs logo and still be affordable. The hat shape is clearly early but the curl on the back makes the brim seem a bit short. If I were pressed to guess it's age I would say between 1949-55. At any rate, good score!!

Now that makes sense. It didn't occur to me that the hat could have been renovated. :confused: Like sweatbands do not wear out with usage. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Art Fawcett
HI Dave,
First, there is a dead giveaway on the leather that it is early ( pre 1960) because the Dobbs logo is slanted, not straight on the leather. Thats the first sign. My guess is that it was renovated by a Dobbs authorized hatter using the name on the leathers but not all of the qualifiers ( 15, 20, etc).

Thanks Art. I don't understand something. Do you mean that the renovator changed the sweat, then stamped the Dobbs logo onto it (or used a Dobbs sweat)? If so, doesn't that make it hard to date? Couldn't they have done that anytime?

The hat shape is clearly early but the curl on the back makes the brim seem a bit short.

It's 2 1/2"...does that change your opinion at all?

If I were pressed to guess it's age I would say between 1949-55. At any rate, good score!!

Thanks...very cool. It was owned by a doctor near Buffalo who died a year or so ago at 88. The person who I bought it from rescued it before his wife was going to put it out for the trash, and told me this about him - "He was just a VERY cool old dude, if ya know what I mean!! Rather succesful local Dr., not monetarily, just a good hearted, straight shootin' man!!"

I love knowing a bit of the history. His name was stamped into the sweat too.

David

Well gee, that there is provenance and just makes the hat even cooler. That and I would like to see a doctor with a 7 7/8 head. :D It also makes sense that a doctor would be very fussy about his hats and make sure that they were kept up. If the sweatband was not right he just had it replaced.
That was a good save there.

Regards,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Dave,
In the past ( I don't know how many still do) a hatter would sign up with a company to become renovaters for their hats, not necessarilly exlusive, but like a rep, and they would be authorized to buy leathers ( sweats) from the company itself for the renovations. Thats how they would have the logo on it. The fact that it's slanted sort of dates it. I know that Shudde Bros in Houston are still Stetson reps and are authorized to use original Stetson leathers with a stamping on the back in ink saying "rensh" meaning renovated by Shudde. I once had a hat belonging to Gene Autry and did the legwork to authenticate it and that was the final kingpin of the research. I actually spoke to the elder Mr. Shudde who used to personally renovate Mr. Autry's hats and he told me the secret.
Great provenance!!

I say we sign Art up with Borsalino.
Nah, forget it. They would not like it when they found out that he makes hats better than they do now. Same with Stetson, Dobbs, Knox and the list goes on and on. LOL

Regards to all,

J

P.S. The black Homburg went for a trip to the Claremont last night Art. A few nice looking blondes liked it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy