Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Pike Bros N-1 Deck Jacket

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I don't know if it is your jeans but I think it runs a little short front-length. Not too much short, just to the limit. A little shorter and you'd start to look like a bullfighter.

You're neat with the Gustin jeans and those nice boots. Your twin brother Gary would be proud. :D

Thanks,

It's weird, according to their website the XL should have 28" pit to pit and the L 26"...

I wonder what is going on there... I wish i could try one on!

On their site:
Pit to Pit: 70cm, 27.56"
Arms: 69cm, 27.17"
Shoulders: 56cm, 22.05"
Length, base of rear collar to hem: 72cm, 28.35"

So…the numbers are optimistic for sure. I was positive I'd be OK with the XL - and I am, as long as I don't layer/bundle. I've got two other jackets that are large enough to layer with so it's actually probably a good thing for SoCal.

As to the length, it's longer than the Ventura (hard to see in the pics) and I'm happy with it. Is it the "way an N-1 is supposed to fit"? No clue. But it doesn't matter as I didn't get it for an accurate repop in the closet. I've been trying to find one in my size in good shape for under $1000 for over a year with no luck. So the next best thing is this one for far less that I can enjoy…

Thanks for the comments folks. And yes, the GW is pretty much perfection…

N-1 Size Chart.

Great jacket, nice fit! I can see it is thinner than the earlier one I got!
Nice colour on your house Butte!!

Cheers Joakim

I know there's three of us with that color Joakim! I also (thanks Craig) stained the chairs. I was laughing as the first pics I took of the GW this spring were the day we got those new. They got nice and aged in the sun all year so I stained them up two weekends ago. They go well with my jackets. In fact, my wife asked if I stained them for the purpose of just taking jacket pics. :rofl:

BTW, this is the first "off the rack" jacket I've bought in over three years. There's a reason people who don't fit into the M/L/XL thing get custom. I got lucky in that this one is totally acceptable, but if it was being made for me, I'd want 1" more in the sleeves and probably 1" more in the pits for layering.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That length looks fine Scott. I've had an original N-1 and a couple of Buzz Ricksons and the back length is similar.

That length looks fine Scott. I've had an original N-1 and a couple of Buzz Ricksons and the back length is similar.

Thanks Ian! I've actually come around a lot in the last year to a slimmer fit and shorter cut. Mainly it comes down to the local weather. I know if I lived somewhere that was regularly cold and/or snowy, I'd have a nice long sheerling-lined jacket. Even my HBD gets less wear than the rest…

Although, looking at Thor's pics, I'd wager that is probably closer to the way it's intended to look/fit?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, strictly speaking it's a bulkier jacket so Thor's N-1 is possibly more typical (but I've seen period images of trimmer jackets too).
I really enjoy mine - so much so that I've opted not to replace my B-10 or B-15 for the timebeing.

Yes, strictly speaking it's a bulkier jacket so Thor's N-1 is possibly more typical (but I've seen period images of trimmer jackets too).
I really enjoy mine - so much so that I've opted not to replace my B-10 or B-15 for the timebeing.

Funny you mention those. That's what I wanted initially but since they are hard to come by in my size in good quality I opted for the N-1.
What do you think about the stencil?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I love the B-10, but it's not as practical as the B-15, which is in turn less smart. I prefer the jungle cloth to the fabrics used on both army/USAF jackets.
Personally, I'd go with the stencil: the thinner version is subtle and understated.

I love the B-10, but it's not as practical as the B-15, which is in turn less smart. I prefer the jungle cloth to the fabrics used on both army/USAF jackets.
Personally, I'd go with the stencil: the thinner version is subtle and understated.

Hmm. The PB stencil to me is too big/fat. I've seen some iron-on at ebay, but I'm not sure. Any recommendations on a better one?

Ian - those I've been looking at, but have no clue if they're any good? Thoughts on iron-on vs the stencil/ink-paint method?

Wife got me some nice rag wool gloves to go with it. My others are grey, so these are nice!

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Tricky. I was about to suggest stencil and paint, but jungle cloth is pretty absorbent and I'd worry about bleeding unless it's a relatively dry brush/sponge.
I like the mittens: I'm looking for a trad watch cap to go with mine.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Butte, that is a killer N-1! I looked at the Pike Brothers page the other day when I was interested in a B-10 and their N-1 caught my eye. I think they're now on vacation until the summer, though.

BTW, this movie (U-571) really sucked, but its almost worth watching to see all the cool N-1 shots...especially Bill Paxton's. Here's Mathew Whatshisname wearing one.

n-1_zps7feac461.jpg

AF

Thanks AF! I'll check it out. Apparently, the earlier versions were heavier. I can't say, but some guys I know say it's so.
I also got the French deck jacket I told you about on VLJ. Have to post up pics. It's in superb condition. Might have to sell as it's a tad short in the arms for me.
But if I have to sell it I'll be bummed. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Butte - Deck jacket looks the biz. Had my eye on one for a while now, fit looks spot on.
The Ventura looks as cool as ever, all these photos of Venturas are making me weep!
Merry Christmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic