Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Pike Bros N-1 Deck Jacket

zhz

Practically Family
My Tanker is a cheap one made by Spearhead Militia, who sell through ebay. Nice repro of the civilian one Bobby deNiro wore as Bickle with the correct scarlet quilted nylon lining. Quality seems nice. They also do a regular WW2 spec model. I'm sure not as accurate as the Buzz, but a very significant price difference! o

The one wore by Bobby deNiro comes with the scarlet nylon lining? I didnt notice that when I watch the film... should watch it again. I did found the one you have on ebay while ago, but that scarlet lining stopped me...should do more research...

4444Design

One of the Regulars
well that's a pretty old thread but maybe still intersting for some guys also planning to order a pike Brothers N1

bought mine almost 2 years ago - is the Version with the lettering/characters für size rather than the Version with the Digits for size identification

got a "L" which fits perfect imo

i do not have any issues with the lenght of the sleeves

fitpic - i'm 1.90 mtr. / approx 6,2 ft

Marv

A-List Customer
well that's a pretty old thread but maybe still intersting for some guys also planning to order a pike Brothers N1

bought mine almost 2 years ago - is the Version with the lettering/characters für size rather than the Version with the Digits for size identification

got a "L" which fits perfect imo

I have a PB N-1 which is the older version with the size la

From what I can see from this jacket, it looks to be the newer version and a lot less bulky than mine giving a better more comfortable overall fit.

i do not have any issues with the lenght of the sleeves

fitpic - i'm 1.90 mtr. / approx 6,2 ft

I have a PB N-1 which is the older version with the size label numbers eg. 44" and also has an internal patch pocket instead of the current navy style zip pocket.

From what I remember, Pike Bros mentioned that the new\current version of the N1 would have a different style internal pocket (zipper), no waist drawstring loop holders, a better repro version Talon zipper and a thinner wool pile lining to reduce the bulk of the jacket bringing it more in line with original N1s.

From what I can see from this jacket, it looks to be the newer version and a lot less bulky than mine giving a better more comfortable overall fit.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
I have a PB N-1 which is the older version with the size label numbers eg. 44" and also has an internal patch pocket instead of the current navy style zip pocket.

From what I remember, Pike Bros mentioned that the new\current version of the N1 would have a different style internal pocket (zipper), no waist drawstring loop holders, a better repro version Talon zipper and a thinner wool pile lining to reduce the bulk of the jacket bringing it more in line with original N1s.

yeah - think it is the newer Version but no zip on the inside pocket

anyway - as with the other PB-garment i own i'm really satisfied concerning Quality and fit

for me on the plus-side PB's "Headquarter" is on the way from my work in Austria to my homebase in Germany - so if necessary i can just stop by for checking their latest stuff

Tefouane

A-List Customer
Here is mine. Fresh from the store. Size L. Waxed. I'm 6.1 tall for 84 kilograms. I have long arms and chest.
321013d270a0b417deccba7d24da7262.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Wish I could get on with mine, only worn it half a dozen times, bought it from Aero last time I was up there. I guess I won't be happy till I get my hands on an original :-(

Edward

Bartender
The one wore by Bobby deNiro comes with the scarlet nylon lining? I didnt notice that when I watch the film... should watch it again. I did found the one you have on ebay while ago, but that scarlet lining stopped me...should do more research...

Oh! Glad this thread popped up, I missed your comment last year.

Yeah, the one bobby DeNiro wore does have that same colour of quilted liner. It's a feature that has added to the debate about Bickle's true nature for a long time. There are those who argue that he is indeed a Vietnam combat veteran (so presumably the 'wrong' lining is just a wardrobe department slip-up, or maybe he wore out the liner of his issue jacket and so had it repalced on civvy street), while others point to this as signifying that it is supposed to be a civilian jacket in origin, and is noe of a number of things which may be read as evidencing that Bickle is a fantasist rather than genuine ex-military. Me, I like the ambiguity...

Cooperson

One Too Many
What size are you Cooperson? Maybe we could trade or do a deal?

5' 11" with a 40" chest. I tried on the large but it absolutely swamped me, big over the shoulders and very long arms. I bought the medium but it's a bit too snug at the waist for comfort.

breezer

Practically Family
I'm a 40 too! I have a nice vintage Connolly steer hide Highwayman - bit it might be a bit snug, its a 38". Trade?

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thanks breezer, I do have a nice Highwaymen and it gets plenty of wear time. I still like the style of the n-1 deck jacket but need a better fit, perhaps another brand might work? An original would be nice but all the examples I've seen have been wrecked.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Thought this might help anyone considering a Pike n-1. This my medium but when considering the chest measurement it's worth keeping in mind the lining is quite thick.

Size medium Pike n-1 with the jacket zipped up and laid flat:
Chest 23 1/2"
Shoulders 18 3/4"
Sleeves 25"
Back Length 25 3/4"
Bottom Hem Width 20 1/2"

breezer

Practically Family
I'm hunting for a BR or RM myself - though I would like to see a Pike Bros in the flesh…..might need to polo down to Aero. Was holding off for the Grand Theft Auto sale, but it doesn't look like its happening anytime soon so I might get myself down there and try on a Pike Bros N1.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I'm hunting for a BR or RM myself - though I would like to see a Pike Bros in the flesh…..might need to polo down to Aero. Was holding off for the Grand Theft Auto sale, but it doesn't look like its happening anytime soon so I might get myself down there and try on a Pike Bros N1.
Iv just received my waxed N1,,apart from the buttons almost falling off & poorly finished button holes I'm fairly happy with everything else,,,fitting& material seems very good.iv redone the buttons& snipped the loose threads,,,.if I had to do this again would probably go with br or ironheart

Iv just received my waxed N1,,apart from the buttons almost falling off & poorly finished button holes I'm fairly happy with everything else,,,fitting& material seems very good.iv redone the buttons& snipped the loose threads,,,.if I had to do this again would probably go with br or ironheart

Sad to hear that @Peter Mackin. I checked mine after seeing your other post and it's good, but I did lose a button on a similarly styled RRL jacket. I've noticed that buttons on items I've bought in the last few years have this issue more often than I can recall. Sad. But I'm going to do some mending today so as not to lose more...

Stand By

One Too Many
Great photos Butte! And I must say, you've got the whole look going on and it's a really good one to me!
Great jacket and the fit is spot-on. It looks great on you and suits you perfectly. I like the jeans and boots too while I'm at it!

As for the stencil, my vote is that I'd opt for the stencil as it is a USN jacket and I think it deserves it. Do bear in mind though that, with the current US/CDN exchange rate, my 2 cents rates at a mere 1.75 cents.
BUT, of course, it would then beg the question of how to do it.
So for reference, I pulled out my Buzz Rickson's catalogues (2007>) here at work and had a look at the various stencils that they've put on their N-1 jackets over the various years and some have distinctly crisp edging on the lettering and look printed (through a stencil) whilst others have a soft edge and look sprayed.
I showed the catalogues to my colleagues here (who are special effects wizards and worked in Canada's premier special effects house and did everything from Jacob's Ladder and JFK to the X-Men films!) and they said "You could try to get that effect with some kind of faux-finish?"
And then I realized that I know just the faux-finish guy to ask as I did his Annie Sloan Chalk Paint faux-finishing class (don't know why it didn't occur to me myself, but there it is. I blame a lack of coffee this morning) and he's brilliant and has done TV work galore on faux-finishing techniques. I have just given I'm a ping - hopefully I'll hear from him and I can get back to you with what he says.

Stand By

One Too Many
Hi Butte,
Nope, not forgotten you, nor my promise to get back to you on the stencil.
I've been repeatedly trying to get a hold of my contact who's the faux-finisher - and he's been really busy closing down his business (he blames the economy) which apparently is an awful lot of work - and that news was a shock and a surprise to me, not to mention very sad, as that Annie Sloan paint is superb stuff.
Anyway, he spared me a little time to run through the process of stencilling and he says it's easy - and it's really a really popular thing these days and any good art or craft store has everything you'll need, plus there are loads of how-to videos on You tube as well.
But basically, he said that the stencil is best made from a sheet of mylar - and you can either cut out the design using a knife and files, or use a dedicated stencil burner to create the design - but do use that carefully and in a well-ventilated area as melting mylar is toxic, so don't go breathing it in.
Having made the stencil, set the material on a flat surface (he recommended a glass plate) and he said that the stencil is best set in place using a light coat of stencil positioning spray - to give a little tack to the stencil and make sure the stencil doesn't move on you and it will prevent any light bleeding.
My friend recommended using acrylic paint for the stencil - he said the Annie Sloan paint would be ideal, but any acrylic paint/fabric paint of good quality will do.
He said that you should use a dedicated stencil brush - these have bristles that are quite short and stubby (like a crew-cut) and in a donut shape. Don't overload the brush with paint - use only slightly more than if you were dry-brushing - and stipple it on, applying the paint lightly and increase the density gradually in rapid, short jabs with the brush held perpendicular to the jacket - do not use strokes. Stipple.
And that is all he said there was too it!

So with that, you can head over to your local art/craft store and go looking for the stencilling section and find the mylar and paint etc and you have an idea of how it's done and know what you're looking for - and do check out the videos and then decide if it's something you really want to have a go at.

Right, that's all folks!
This is my last day of the year here at work - so my last day on TFL for another year, and I've just enough time to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and all my best wishes for a good and happy 2016 to all.
Take good care and catch you all in January!
Cheers!
Stand By

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou