Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New "rain proof" Borsalino - questions and pictures.

MattJH

One Too Many
Yesterday at a local hat shop, I stumbled upon a brand new black Borsalino w/thin black grossgrain ribbon marked down from $250.00 to $100.00, as they were unloading their winter hat stock to prepare for the coming warmer months and it was their last one. I'm aware of this board's majority opinion on all-black fedoras, but I don't share it :) Besides, I only own one other fedora, a gray velour Stetson Sovereign which is posted about here.

The Borsalino is fur felt, of course, and doesn't appear to have a model name, just that it's the "rain proof" line. There is an I.D. number under the sweatband, though. It's thin, very soft felt, open-crown style (although they had put the center bash / front pinch in it for display purposes), snap unbound brim, no liner. The sweatband is an elastic material. It fits me absolutely perfectly at a 61cm or 7 5/8. Crown is 5" and the brim is 2".

My question is this:

01) How "rain proof" is it? Borsalino is redoing their webpage so I can't find any detailed information on it at all. Is it just like any other fur felt, or are these treated differently to repel water?
02) I'm aware of everyone's opinion of the decline of the modern-day Borsalino fedora in comparison to the vintage Borsalinos. Can anyone elaborate? Due to my head size, vintage hats are typically not an option for me.

Either way, I feel I got the best bang for my buck. In the somewhat rare instance that a good hat pops up on eBay in the 7 5/8 - 7 3/4 size, the price is going to balloon due to the size rarity -- typically in the same range I paid when it's a Borsalino when you include shipping. Reference this auction, or this one. Oh, and this one, too.

[All auctions linked are completed ones.]

Anyway, here are a few pictures (it's black-er in person):

borsalino1.jpg

borsalino2.jpg

borsalino3.jpg

borsalino4.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Borsalino hat

First of all, the hat is NOT rain proof . Ther really is no such thing . It is a silly name that the company uses for their line of lesser expensive hats . We sell them and have been trying to get them to change the name for teo years . As for the price, at 100.00 it is a decent price but not the deal of the century . We were selling these hats regulary for 165.00 ,not 250.00 . So you gor a decent hat at a decent price , not the deal of the century .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

MattJH

One Too Many
besdor said:
First of all, the hat is NOT rain proof . Ther really is no such thing . It is a silly name that the company uses for their line of lesser expensive hats . We sell them and have been trying to get them to change the name for teo years . As for the price, at 100.00 it is a decent price but not the deal of the century . We were selling these hats regulary for 165.00 ,not 250.00 . So you gor a decent hat at a decent price , not the deal of the century .

Thanks Steven! That's why I put rain proof in quotations in the subject line -- I suspected as much. So then I should care for it just like any other fur felt, yes?

P.S. - It was listed at $250.00. Crossed out with $150.00 written under it. They basically told me they'd give it to me for $100 if I took it on the spot, and I really like it! Looks nice on me, and it's the most comfortable hat I've worn to date.

Rain Proof depends on how long you mean really. ;) Ten minutes in a downpour is about its limit.
The difference between a vintage Borsalino (pre 1975) and this one is about an hour or two in the rain. The vintage one would also have a leather (specifically Roan) sweatband. The crown might be taller and the brim would likely be as well before the mid 1950s.

Regards,

J

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Bottom line is this:

Do you like the hat?

Do you like the way it looks on you?

Do you think you paid a fair price for it in commesuration to the above?

I have hats that I KNOW I paid too much for but, given how much joy they have brought me, I don't mind the price. There are others that I paid barely nothing for, but hardly ever wear, that I wish I hadn't spent the few bucks! It's all in the perception of and the pleasure therein.

Nice hat. Enjoy.

MattJH

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
Bottom line is this:

Do you like the hat?

Do you like the way it looks on you?

Do you think you paid a fair price for it in commesuration to the above?

Oh, of course, of course! Yes on all counts. Nothing anybody replies with here will make me feel differently. I'm more posing the questions out of curiosity and self-education than anything else.

shortbrim

New in Town
Rain proof hat

I always wanted a rain proof fedora but in my experience the only way to get a fedora rain proof is to put a plastic bag over your hat, not very asthetically appealing. Some hats may be pressure treated in manufacture with some chemical like silicone but even then the hat will eventually become soaked. I almost always wear a hat in the rain but they have all started leaking through after about a half hour of heavy rain. Nice hat, though, and decent price.

MattJH

One Too Many
UPDATE: I'm only 48 hours in, I understand, but this is the softest, most comfortable hat I've ever worn. Love it. Leather sweatbands can sometimes feel clunky, and when you sweat it gets slippery. This is like butter, everywhere.

ronin

New in Town
When it comes to rainproofness, I reach for one of those outback-style waxed cotton hats. They truly are rainproof, or if they're not, a quick wax job will restore their power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy