Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Safari Party

Renault

One Too Many
Greetings,

I had only heard rumors that such a forum existed. And I happened onto it by accident. Allowe me to introduce myself. I am known locally as Renault Sahib. The less said about my past , the better.

A while back, several of us older folk decided that reenacting and tactical type events were beginning to take their toll on us. Many in our little party have been into some form of military reenacting for 20, 30 and and some close to 40 years. We decided that since many of us collected classic hunting firearms, and had most of the accoutrements and gear, we needed to attempt a
1930's type safari! We could simply do things at our leisure. We did our first last February! And we had a blast!!!

As soon a I can figure out how to attach photos to a post, I will be happy to post a few from our event. Many of you may find them interesting.

I have had a very good time lurking thru the assorted posts in the "Great Outdoors" thread, and look forward to more!

I love my pipe and my Pernod. If in you find yourself in the bush, and our paths should cross; you'll always find shade, a chair and cool beverage to enjoy in my camp!

Je reste, votre serviteur;

Renault

Renault

One Too Many
I think I've got this down! Here is Professor Zidane taking out a "rogue" lion! I was back-up with my sxs 12 ga.
Safari3.jpg

Safari5.jpg

Sir James Bosworth, an American Dr. Sack, and myself;
100_2511.jpg

Evening meal and libations;
Safari2.jpg

Enjoy!

Renault Sahib

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!!!!

Here are several more photos from the past Safari for your enjoyment!!!!!
100_2506.jpg

100_2540.jpg

100_2533.jpg

Rifle I was using this weekend is a German guild rifle built on an old WWI Model 98 action (I am a Mauser fanatic!) Nice and light with double set triggers, 7.9 x 57 JS, and a two-leaf express sight. It was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up. Had to do lots of stock repair and install the express sight. But it turned out to be a real shooter!!! I have two other "projects" in the works. A "plains" rifle similar to the guild rifle above, but in7 x 57 mm. And a 1920's era BSA type sporter built on a butchered#1, Mk III SMLE in my collection. Closely resembling a Lee-Speed rifle. Not quite as fancy as the one Kilmer carried in tha Tsavo movie.

Renault Sahib

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Renault, I really enjoyed the photos but for the life of me do not understand why someone would enjoy reenactment of such things. It is possible to live this.

I have some of the gear, much of my ww2 stuff could be "backdated" to the 30's very easily, particularly the Commonwealth and Russian gear. And it's a whole lot cheaper then a trip to Africa. Also now it's not considered "cool" to "conquer" Africa slaughtering rare and endangered species. But I dare somebody to get upset at me for shooting a plywood Giraffe!

I for one would LOVE to go on an African Safari, the photo kind is fine with me (well almost, I don't hunt, but I eat meat, so I'll gladly go with hunters). But this kind of thing can be done on a weekend locally for a lot less money, and still be back to the daily grind on Monday. Very cool event!

Matt

Renault

One Too Many
Preciesly Matt! All in our little group are hunters and we love to shoot. And we've all been friends for years. However we are all fed up with the competition scene that takes over shooting. So we all come up with a novelty target of sorts and allow each safari member to pic the "animal" they wish to bag. Nothing dies, and theres nothing the butcher or skin at the end of the day. The pop-up rogue lion was the most fun!

We all enjoy each other's company. We take turns mixing drinks, cooking and all the things that make camp life fun! Lot's of time to exchange stories, show off new gear, and shoot new rifles! I refuse to set up a moderm nylon and plastic camp to this day! I will use my wood and canvas just about anythine I am out!

Renault Sahib

Burton

One of the Regulars
I can understand an African shooting safari is not for everyone and have only done one myself. After learning a bit more about what you are doing wish I could have all that safari money back and be able to spend a weekend with you gentlemen. It looks like a lot of fun. I wish you many happy "safaris".

Renault

One Too Many
It's not that we wouldn't like to go on a real shooting safari, it's most of us are getting a bit "long in the tooth", so to speak. And the arthiritis it beginning to really set in with me. Below is a pic from a hunt over the spring break weekend. I've hunted this place for almost 30 years, and have many fond memories. But this will probably be the last year I'm able to make it to the top. (Unless someone shows up with a rover or jeep!!!). Meanwhile I'll keep my jaunts to the meadows and savannah.

cedarmt2011.jpg

We were looking for aoudad (barbary) sheep this weekend. I for one simply enjoyed the scenery! I haven't bagged anything here in YEARS!!!! LOL!

Renault Sahib

Baggers

Practically Family
Wow, something in which I could actually participate, and it's close by. I have all the clothes and most of the gear. All I'm missing is a proper hunting rifle, though I guess one of my No1 Mk III's could fill in. Perhaps the 1916 BSA?

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!

Renault

One Too Many
Wow, something in which I could actually participate, and it's close by. I have all the clothes and most of the gear. All I'm missing is a proper hunting rifle, though I guess one of my No1 Mk III's could fill in. Perhaps the 1916 BSA?

Cheers, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks Baggers!!!!!!

As it stands now , due to logistics, locations, and such our little party has a full dance card. However, in the future we may be in a better position to open things up for "special" events where all our friends, new and old can attend and experience the fun. We are working on it. We'll keep all posted on the situation as it develops!!!!!! What we don't want is one or two individuals having to do all the leg work to get a safari off the ground. After the past 10 years or so of event planning, I'm enjoying setting back and letting things run themselves!!!!! :)!!!

As for you #1's...... That single rifle has probably taken a wider variety of game, WORLDWIDE, than any other rifle/calibre combo in existance! Especially in Africa!!!!!!

Renault Sahib

Baggers

Practically Family
Please keep us posted. It looks like fun.
As for the No 1's, I have no doubt. I have two, the 1916 BSA and 1942 dated Lithgow that oddly enough I restored to original configuration after having been "sporterized" by someone for hunting. I also have a 1962 dated Indian Mk 2 in 7.62mm NATO, but of course it's not really a No.1, it just looks like one from a distance. If the light is behind it. And if you don't have your glasses on.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24