Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new Schott jackets

fukigen

Familiar Face
Hello,

I went on the Schott website this morning, and they have many new products...

I have particularly noticed 2 jackets, a new A2 and a new G-1 type.

first the A-2, named "A2 P274"
excerpt from the description:
Anniversary edition A2 jacket.
...created from the original Schott NYC government contract pattern...

you can see the picture directly on Schott website:
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/military/a2.htm?color=2
no pics of the back, not sure it is one piece back, but if it based on an original pattern, should be...

as a "lover" of Schott jackets, it is like they have heard my "prayer", but I am wondering:
why lambskin? especially at this price. lambskin seems to "fragile" for an A-2,
why not horsehide or at least cowhide or goatskin?
also sizing is only S - M - L... not much choice, maybe due to original size patterns
I will try to contact schott if they cannot do some customization (other leather type) for this model...even if I doubt they will.

Has someone encountered an original ww2 Schott A-2 to compare the authenticity?
but even if not that authentic, looks great to me... maybe next christmas present...

The second is G–1 flight jacket in naked pebbled cowhide FLT7
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/lifestyle/street/g1-flight-jacket-in-naked.htm?color=2
looks basically G-1 without mouton collar.

pebbled cowhide looks great (at least on the picture), but why not simply use goatskin?

I don't like fur collar much, that is why I don't have g-1 or similar. On my 184sm, I have removed the mouton collar.
So this jacket looks very attractive to me...

It will be difficult to order 2 jackets at the same time!! (for the wallet, and to negociate it with my wife!)

These jackets are certainly not at the level of a GW, and Schott is certainly not aiming to,
but I find these attractive, they are already calling me!

What about you? Some were wondering why Schott was not producing repro of their original A-2, seems they have listened to us.
What do you think?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Schott aren't doing custom mades at the moment. I think they are doing some customs for women in perfecto range. I've been told its another 6 months before they will do custom orders for guys. I wanted a horse hide jacket, and got a rough quote, roughly 500usd more than an aero.....I have 5 Schotts, and really like them, don't kow how accurate the A2 is....I have one and dig it, might be better with an aero, still have some sale ones think?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I am not aware that Schott had made any A-2s during the War. Correct me if I am wrong. All I have seen from them for making US Govn't contracted jackets were the G-1s and peacoats for the Navy? Not to say Schott NYC is a bad maker, but they seem to have taken the fashion route these days. I know you are a fan of Schott, but I wouldn't suggest you getting either of those two jackets from them, especially with the amount of money that you pay. You can easily get a far better repro for the same amount of money.

On top of that, there is no S, M, L, XL sizing during the old days, these are the results of modern mass production "one size for all" to keep cost down.

Not to pour cold water on your choices, but to me these Schotts are just not worth it. I guess you have already ask the question, why are they not using the correct hides/leathers. Don't blindly follow the brands these days, they may sell good looking biker jackets does not mean they make good repro flight jackets. If you want a Navy type of jacket without the fur collar, you can try looking for AN-J-3, which is the G-1 style jacket with an A-2 collar. At the moment, Aero and BK have them on their catalogue (and they use the correct kind of hides by the way.....).

fukigen

Familiar Face
I am not aware that Schott had made any A-2s during the War. Correct me if I am wrong. All I have seen from them for making US Govn't contracted jackets were the G-1s and peacoats for the Navy? Not to say Schott NYC is a bad maker, but they seem to have taken the fashion route these days. I know you are a fan of Schott, but I wouldn't suggest you getting either of those two jackets from them, especially with the amount of money that you pay. You can easily get a far better repro for the same amount of money.

I also was only aware about Peacoats and G-1s produced by Schott for the Navy.

On top of that, there is no S, M, L, XL sizing during the old days, these are the results of modern mass production "one size for all" to keep cost down.
this is for sure... maybe the price to pay to keep production in NYC and not have it in China. (as Schott market is not same as GW or Aero or others...)
their L is indicated as 42-44, but they also do custom sizing.

Not to pour cold water on your choices, but to me these Schotts are just not worth it. I guess you have already ask the question, why are they not using the correct hides/leathers. Don't blindly follow the brands these days, they may sell good looking biker jackets does not mean they make good repro flight jackets. If you want a Navy type of jacket without the fur collar, you can try looking for AN-J-3, which is the G-1 style jacket with an A-2 collar. At the moment, Aero and BK have them on their catalogue (and they use the correct kind of hides by the way.....).

I do not intend to have too many leather jacket, not enough space in the rack! and 3 already enough, but I think I could go for one last.
I have a repro, RW27752 from BK, and need to wear it... so will not go for a 2nd accurate one unless I sell my actual repro.
I was thinking about the anj-3 for a long time... but the 184sm without mouton collar is similar to my eyes. (some purist will kill me for saying that...)
and I also have a Schott 131 (A-2 that looks kind of repro of the 1987 contract)

this new A-2 by Schott is maybe not accurate to well known contracts, but looks nice. Just the lambskin is annoying for me, and certainly will not go for it if they do not provide another hide.

don't worry, I am old enough (39, maybe not that old?!) to not blindly follow a brand, even if this post sounds like!
but if the design looks fine with me, and if the price is within a limit I set, I don't see a reason why not going for a product (if I like the brand is bonus).
(for ex. I will never go for a Ralph Lauren flight jacket...don't ask me why:) )

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
I do like the look of them, great for a mid range jacket. I'd possibly place those along with G&B and the like...
But those prices... Not cheap!!! :eeek: Almost the same prices as the high end makers... Certainly rather pay a touch more for a quality repro.
Get an Aerial Star for half the price with more authentic and harder wearing steer hide AND custom options...

fukigen

Familiar Face
I do like the look of them, great for a mid range jacket. I'd possibly place those along with G&B and the like...
But those prices... Not cheap!!! :eeek: Almost the same prices as the high end makers... Certainly rather pay a touch more for a quality repro.
Get an Aerial Star for half the price with more authentic and harder wearing steer hide AND custom options...

this is basically my feeling...
wanted to know what other members were thinking about.

Last edited:
Yep, they're nice. I've owned and do own Schott. But at that level, you're talking customs from good makers. I suppose if you can do off the rack in sizing and want it now, it's OK. Not griping about the jacket/quality, but for that price, I go to one of the makers we know here for sure.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Schott are great I prefer mine to the Aero I had. But that A2 is pretty ordinary and made of lamb. The G1 is a much nicer civilian version. Neither are accurate repos they are solid knocking about jackets for work or play.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Schott's are "solid" pieces, I own two, one in leather one in wool. Those are "okay" but I'd never pay 9 large for anything that wasn't a custom fit job unless it something so rare I couldn't get it anywhere's else. Like my used GW Capeskin A1. When/where was I ever going to get another?

Worf

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just noticed the price; as Worf says for 9 large they are expensive. I'd be more inclined to get a G&B A2 (not that I like A2's) but the quality of those jackets is superb (maybe better than Schott) and they cost less.

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I'd go G&B all the way.

As a kid where I lived, Schott jackets were only sold in Army/Navy stores and they were the best commercially available leather jackets that I knew of. Nowadays, Schott seems to be going after the trendy designer/hipster market and their prices reflect that. Times change as well as business models but I'm not all that thrilled with Schott anymore.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scored a commercial CWU today which will be going back on the Bay due to the shininess of the nylon, almost mohair (twotone) in effect..not my cup of char :(

fukigen

Familiar Face
last comment on the new a2 "p274" made by Schott...

I finally could find a picture of the back on a japanese site...
2 pieces back...awful!
img60351021.jpg

I was thinking of asking Schott to get a cowhide version if possible, but with such 2 pieces back, I pass...

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I've got no problem with the Schott jacket in the picture. I think a horizontal seam looks fine. There were many jackets back in the '40s and '50s made that way. It's the up and down vertical seam like some of the old Avirex lambskin jackets that I think is unsightly. However, if I were looking for a military spec A-2 I would want a one-piece back.

fukigen

Familiar Face
I've got no problem with the Schott jacket in the picture. I think a horizontal seam looks fine. There were many jackets back in the '40s and '50s made that way. It's the up and down vertical seam like some of the old Avirex lambskin jackets that I think is unsightly. However, if I were looking for a military spec A-2 I would want a one-piece back.

I agree with you,
just when reading description "Anniversary edition A2 jacket. Worn by USAAF fliers in the early 1940s, and created from the original Schott NYC government contract pattern.", I expect one piece back.

I'll repeat what others have mentioned here...I have never heard that Schott had an A2 contract with the government during the 1940's.
And....I have never seen a military contract WW2 A2 with a double piece back. Much less made out of lamb.
Schott indulging in a bit of "truth stretching"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael