Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New sherlock holmes movie

Edward

Bartender
I just have a problem with Mycroft in the sense that every time I think of him I get this as a visual representation:
Mycroft+2.bmp

:D
It will be interesting to see the Diogenes Club again though. :D

Ah, drear Charles Gray.... "I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey...."

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I haven't seen the recent Sherlock Holmes movie. As a lover and avid reader of SH, I cannot bring myself to watch it (in its entirety). I saw the first ten minutes on a plane and promptly shut it off. Sorry to those who liked it, but what crap! Having read all the shorts stories and novels many times, I just cannot get into such a terrible adaptation. Not to mention the casting of RDJ as SH.

So many have played SH, some well, some not. Jeremy Brett will forever be my favourite.
X
BD

Dan'l

Practically Family
Ah, drear Charles Gray.... "I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey...."

Bravo :eusa_clap
What a flashback, hadn't thought of that one in a while.

Jeremy Brett has been my favorite SH since first seeing him portray "the greatest detective that never lived." I have a number of old SH movies including some with Arthur Wontner as Holmes also Basil Rathbone. I have a few with some obscure actors playing Holmes, can't remember the names right now.

I did enjoy the new one but it could have been SOOOO much better. RDJ needs to shave, comb his hair, and put on clean clothes to better match the Holmes that I read about in the canon. His flat may be a mess but not his person.
I have my doubts about Mycroft's character in the upcoming sequel... but I'll give it a chance.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Bravo :eusa_clap
What a flashback, hadn't thought of that one in a while.

Jeremy Brett has been my favorite SH since first seeing him portray "the greatest detective that never lived." I have a number of old SH movies including some with Arthur Wontner as Holmes also Basil Rathbone. I have a few with some obscure actors playing Holmes, can't remember the names right now.

I did enjoy the new one but it could have been SOOOO much better. RDJ needs to shave, comb his hair, and put on clean clothes to better match the Holmes that I read about in the canon. His flat may be a mess but not his person.
I have my doubts about Mycroft's character in the upcoming sequel... but I'll give it a chance.

Arthur Wontner was a good SH. I actually didn't mind Peter Cushing as SH, though lots of people didn't like him in the role.
X
BD

rue

I finally sat down and watched this movie and I wanted to like it so much, but I am so disappointed :(

In my opinion, I think Robert Downey Jr. is one of the best actors of our generation and that was proven to me, by his performance in Chaplin. I think Jude Law is wonderful too. I do not blame them for the monstrosity that is this film as their scenes together were the bright moments of the film. Besides, you can only do so much with what is handed to you. I blame Guy Ritchie for taking a classic and turning it into some sort of Matrix type thing. I thought Rachel McAdams was really miscast and is it just me or was the costuming off? What was with Kelly Reilly's hair when we first saw her as Mary??

I know I'm in the minority opinion here, but my God.... I thought it was awful.

m0nk

One Too Many
I just saw Game of Shadows and enjoyed it immensely. I also really enjoyed the first one. I thought that they captured Holmes rather well, in a way that other adaptations didn't; specifically the darker side. I've read the novels and short stories, and while the new movies seem to be a culmination of Doyle's works, the characters were done really well.

m0nk

One Too Many
I blame Guy Ritchie for taking a classic and turning it into some sort of Matrix type thing.
Actually, that's just Guy Ritchie's style. He's done movies in the same way for nearly 2 decades, and I always enjoyed them since he did a darker style but with a sideways element that other movies lacked; everything from Hollywood is too strait forward, you always end up knowing what's going to happen based on what has happened, but with Guy Ritchie, he changes what you think has happened so that you really don't expect what will happen. JMO, though.

rue

Actually, that's just Guy Ritchie's style. He's done movies in the same way for nearly 2 decades, and I always enjoyed them since he did a darker style but with a sideways element that other movies lacked; everything from Hollywood is too strait forward, you always end up knowing what's going to happen based on what has happened, but with Guy Ritchie, he changes what you think has happened so that you really don't expect what will happen. JMO, though.

I've seen his movie Snatch and it was fine for what it was, but in my opinion he needs to stay away from the classics. Kind of like Baz Luhrmann should have stayed away from Gatsby (from what I've seen anyway). I guess I really don't like modern interpretations anymore.....

No offense Monk. It's just my opinion :)

Steve

Practically Family
It's unreasonable to assume that new films about Sherlock Holmes will be treated with what most would call due reverence.

I have to say though, most of what Holmes says and does in the first film starring Robert Downey Jr. can be found verbatim in the stories and novels. The only difference is the presentation, both in the visual style and in Ritchie/RDJ's interpretation of Holmes' personality and appearance.

Doyle's novels were very dialogue-driven, and where the new films differ is mostly in their showing of Sherlock Holmes doing things of which the novels only alluded to him as being capable. For example, instead of only a passing reference to Holmes' prowess on the amateur boxing circuit in "The Sign of Four," the first film chose to actually show Holmes ably handling himself in an amateur fight. It was shot in such a way as to show Holmes' brilliance working behind the scenes of what could have easily been a simple brawl. I can be satisfied with that.

I saw the latest film today and loved it. Was it true to the stories? No. Was I sufficiently entertained so as to justify my expense of a movie ticket? Yes. Decidedly so.

The chess scene between Holmes and Moriarty ranks as one of the best moments I've seen in recent cinema in a very long time. And I can't help but believe that Guy Ritchie's ultramodern filmmaking style will drive new readers to opening the source material and finding the genius that inspired these films. I can and will support this franchise, even as much as I continue to re-read Doyle's canon every year.

Last edited:

Dan'l

Practically Family
I saw Game of Shadows over the weekend and it was entertaining. It seemed to depart even further from the canon than the first installment but I did enjoy the movie.
My biggest complaint is the treatment of Mycroft. I don’t think his character was really captured in this movie. He seemed more oddball than genius (yes, a fine line I know). In fairness, I enjoyed the portrayal of Mycroft by Charles Gray which got more attention (more story time and in more stories) in the Granada series than in the actual canon.
On the other hand, I thought the portrayal of Professor Moriarty was great in this new movie.
If you’re a SH fan then go see the movie realizing that it is loosely based on the character(s) and elements (or situations) of the canon.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've seen his movie Snatch and it was fine for what it was, but in my opinion he needs to stay away from the classics. Kind of like Baz Luhrmann should have stayed away from Gatsby (from what I've seen anyway). I guess I really don't like modern interpretations anymore.....

No offense Monk. It's just my opinion :)
I always appreciate the viewpoint of untouchable classics. :D

I was nervous with the original movie, simply because there's always that possibility that a classic will be utterly destroyed. I was also nervous when LOTR was made, as again I grew up reading the books. I'm sure there will be another classic that will worry me in the near future. But there's always the problem of interpretation when converting a novel into a movie, since everyone who reads the novel will have a unique image in their head, leaving certain expectations of the movie when it comes around. And expectations can't be met for everyone's images.... but my own personal imagery had more of a match to the newer interpretations than with previous attempts. I'll always love the Basil Rathbone classics, but they never quite hit the quirky, drug-induced adventures that I imagined while reading the novels.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The chess scene between Holmes and Moriarty ranks as one of the best moments I've seen in recent cinema in a very long time. And I can't help but believe that Guy Ritchie's ultramodern filmmaking style will drive new readers to opening the source material and finding the genius that inspired these films. I can and will support this franchise, even as much as I continue to re-read Doyle's canon every year.

This - went with a buddy and his 7/8 year old sons to see it. Their running commentary on the way home showed that they'd been paying attention (and I'd already passed off a copy of Doyle's collected works to their father, to wrap up for Christmas).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Steve said:
I saw the latest film today and loved it. Was it true to the stories? No. Was I sufficiently entertained so as to justify my expense of a movie ticket? Yes. Decidedly so.
I didn't love it but I agree it was worth the price of admission. I think the ending could have been a bit less predictable ("the bad guy must die impaled on a spike because in the movies that's the only way to be 100% sure he's dead") and there was no need for a super-evil conspiracy (aka Spectre) but otherwise the film is stylish, clever, and keeps moving at a pace that is fast but not too fast to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing the second one, although I missed it when it went through the theatres.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner