Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Stetson hat - Need advice

Noindex

New in Town
I bought a new Stetson Saxon hat today but I can't decide if I should keep or remove the small gold Stetson brand pin that's on the ribbon. What do you think?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I have removed some, and left some in place. However, you need to decide which it will be. you can't take it off and later put it back, depending on your mood for the day. I discovered when I tried to reposition one that was crooked, that they break real easy!!! [huh]

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
It would have to be a singularly nice looking pin for me to decide to leave it in. Otherwise, I feel it's a bit like leaving the tag on the sleeve of your suit. It may be a stylish tag, but it's still a tag.

-Dave

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
I vote for ditching the pin. Aside from not wanting to be a billboard, it's a great opportunity to put something on there that reflects something unique about you. Me, I'm searching for just the perfect trumpet pin for my hat.

-Tofu

Spellflower

Practically Family
I've never been a fan of wearing advertisements. Even when I was a kid, I preferred shirts without writing or pictures. Some folks wear classy metal pins on their hats, and that's okay, though it's not my cup of tea. But those plastic Stetson pins seem really tacky to me.

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Keeping the feather

Depends on the hat, and the "mood" I tend to attach to it. Examples: my gray crushable Jaxon is what I call my "Joe Friday" hat (at least until I have a true replica made by one of our fine hatters here :D ), and is pretty much all business. No feather. My Jaxon Monk pork pie? You betcha!

-Tofu

carldelo

One Too Many
Nix pin, switch quill

Noindex said:
I immediately tossed the feather......I'm sure the pin will get tossed also. Do any of you guys keep the feather?

I took the pin and feather off my Stetson immediately and put them on the el-cheapo Jaxon Corduroy 'fedora' I bought for under $20 - sort of like putting rot-gut whiskey in a single malt bottle (or something). The feather makes the other hat look a little Alpine-style. If I'm going to advertise, I want to do some fooling at the same time...

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I love the feather!

Actually, I have two categories of hats: dress hats and everyday hats. I keep the feathers in all my dress hats. I think it is a nice touch. I even have some extra feathers so I can match the color of the feather to the rest of the outfit, like using a pocket square to bring out a color. My everyday hats generally don't have the feathers.

I always take the pin out, though. If Art had a signature pin, I'd be tempted to leave that in, but nothing as common as a pin from Stetson.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I sometime wear the pin in my black Stetson, and I have no trouble taking it on and off. The touch of gold on the all-black hat bresses it up nicely.

As for feathers, generally I won't leave a feather in, but once in a great while, I like it. It really depends on the hat and the wearer's personality.

Highlander

A-List Customer
On My 10X Gus Crease Cowboy hat, I left the JBS branding iron pin on it.

On my others, I had them replace the cheap bands they put on the cowboy hats with the satin bands they put on their fedoras. A much more realistic 1880's look.

As for Fedoras... The feathers go, and any hat pins go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80