Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Straw/Panama - Opinions/Recommendations

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Am heading down to Florida with the family in the not too distant future, and am in the market for a straw or panama. I've consulted briefly with Douglas....Thanks for the advice, Douglas, Most Appreciated! ;)

Came across this model whilst surfing the net. It is called the Equador Panama Bogart, color is "Toast".

Looks to be a decent hat, from an appearance standpoint. It is sold by Hats-CapsOnline/Hatcorner Corp. They are located in NYC (139 Nassau Street).

Anyone ever deal with them, or, more to the point, anyone have this particular model hat? If you do, how well do you like it, it is one that you would recommend to a fellow Lounger?

Thanks for your time, my friends!

If that isn't the identical model as the hat currently atop my noggin, it's about as close to it as you could get. I own two of them, actually. The one I'm wearing at present was bought new, oh, four years ago or so. It's an inexpensive hat -- about 40 bucks regular retail, as I recall. It has a cheap cloth sweatband and a cheap ribbon. But it's made of some sort of "real" straw (as opposed to Shantung) and the color is pretty nice (I think) and the style is quite "Golden Era" (you know, wide-ish brim and tall-ish crown and little or no taper). I liked this one well enough to buy another just like it last summer, on account of the first one being sweated through so many times that it is no longer suitable for wear with even slightly dressy duds. But today I'm in jeans and sandals so it's just the ticket.
Both of mine say (on the sweatbands) that they are Bailey hats, but I suppose there might be other brands of the essentially identical hat. I'm guessing that Bailey gets the bodies from some supplier down Ecuador way and either finishes the hats themselves or sends sweatbands, etc. to a contractor who does the finishing work for them.
So yeah, I like 'em fine. They make a good alternative to my one truly fine Panama hat, which I of course wish to make last as close to forever as I can. These cheap beaters look nice enough and I don't worry about 'em. Just don't pay more than 40 or so bucks for one and you'll do OK.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Brim size is 2 5/8".......Tinman, nice looking hat you have there!!

Thanks to all for the replies! Much Appreciated!!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel compelled to point out at this point in time that not all straw hats protect you from the sun. Some still let enough light threw to make them effectively useless against UV rays. From what I have read Cuenca hats filter out about 40-50% of the harmful rays and Monticristi's filter out 80%. But if you really want proper protection you need either felt, that blocks out 100%, or a hat with a UV rating on it, like a Tilley. If you are wearing a hat for style, then this may not concern for you. But for people like me its worth knowing. If in doubt I would ask the company that manufactures the hat. Just my two cents worth.
Johnny

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
johnnycanuck said:
I feel compelled to point out at this point in time that not all straw hats protect you from the sun. Some still let enough light threw to make them effectively useless against UV rays. From what I have read Cuenca hats filter out about 40-50% of the harmful rays and Monticristi's filter out 80%. But if you really want proper protection you need either felt, that blocks out 100%, or a hat with a UV rating on it, like a Tilley. If you are wearing a hat for style, then this may not concern for you. But for people like me its worth knowing. If in doubt I would ask the company that manufactures the hat. Just my two cents worth.
Johnny

Good to know, Johnny.....Thanks for the tip! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24