Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New study- men enjoy their grooming time

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thoughts? Comments? Rude hand gestures?

Move over, ladies! Guys are going to need more bathroom time before heading out the door.

According to a new survey of 1,000 men and 1,000 women, there's only a seven minutes gap between the two genders when it comes to time spent on their beauty regimen.

Conducted by Allure and GQ, the study found that compared to 10 years ago, 63 percent of men actually enjoy their daily grooming routine, while 72 percent feel that they are under more pressure to care about their appearance.

Thanks to an upsurge in men's hair care, fragrance, and cleansing products, beauty samples (yes, the fellas appreciate Kiehl's, too), specialty stores like Freemans Sporting Club, and alluring advertisements that speak to their concerns, men typically spend $121 to make sure they look and feel good (while women fork over $194 for their beauty products), according to the findings.

The study also claims that men use an average of 11 of beauty products -- just 5 less than woman -- with hair care, razors, deodorant/antiperspirant, shaving cream/gel, and fragrance rounding out the top five go-to products.

And don't be too quick to attach the label "metrosexual" to this new generation of men. Not surprisingly, 93 percent of men say the moniker is "offensive, dated, and doesn't describe me."

We sure aren't complaining about a man who knows its important to smooth on a hydrating moisturizer after exfoliating or the difference between pomade and a hair styling gel.

But is he stealing your makeup?

*Culled from Style List http://www.stylelist.com/2010/06/29/men-close-grooming-gap-with-women-study-finds/?sms_ss=email

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm not sure about taking longer to get ready, but I readily agree to the fact that I enjoy my grooming time in the morning, even though it is usually around five in the morning and I'm off to work for twelve hours.

I usually throw on some music while shaving, and with all the classic shaving products I use, yeah, I enjoy that time, makes me feel well dressed for the day.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I very much enjoy my morning shaving ritual: strop my razor, lather my brush, shave (twice, in different directions), aftershave and lotion. We have our grooming routines, they just differ in kind from those of the ladies.

But my wife spends a lot more time on the rituals than I do. The fact that I have no hair to speak of may play a role here.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
lucky you, I have a five o'clock shadow by ten a.m.

I can usually make it to 11 am before I look like Fred Flintstone. I'll shave again if we're going out to dinner. Of course, that adds to my grooming time, but my wife is preening herself again alongside me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Say What?

I wish the article gave a link to the study and said how often men spend $121 on grooming products. This article in the Daily Mail says both men and women spend around 302 pounds a year on them. That's around $460. It also says men spend 83 minutes a day preparing to go out. I spend about half that time and money--and the time includes getting breakfast and doing the dishes.

Are these people re-enactors of the court of Louis XIV?

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good grief, I must be a caveman. I can wake up, get shaved showered and dressed in a suit in about 30 minutes. I don't even own a comb or brush..my hair is short enough that the only attention it gets is from the towel as I dry off from the shower.

I just can't imagine throwing a bunch of time at "beautifying" myself every day. I must admit that several of the older guys at work spend all sorts of time on their hair, mainly in attempts at hiding bald spots and thinning hair, so maybe that day will come.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
[...] men spend 83 minutes a day preparing to go out.

All I can say is ... what?! Unless, of course, we count time spent on the Lounge as preparation. ;)

Edward

Bartender
davestlouis said:
Good grief, I must be a caveman. I can wake up, get shaved showered and dressed in a suit in about 30 minutes. I don't even own a comb or brush..my hair is short enough that the only attention it gets is from the towel as I dry off from the shower.

I just can't imagine throwing a bunch of time at "beautifying" myself every day. I must admit that several of the older guys at work spend all sorts of time on their hair, mainly in attempts at hiding bald spots and thinning hair, so maybe that day will come.

lol I'm still one of the younger folks in our place, and I probably spend the least time on my "hair".... I have the full head shave down to under three minutes now. lol Use a modern,cartridge razor for that (the scar on my cranium indicates that I learned the hard way that a safety razor isn't the way to go there...). Safety Razor, brush and soap for my face. I very much enjoy the ritual of the latter, and it's as quick, really, as using the cartridge. Better shave, too: after a shave with that, it takes 48 hours to get to the point that I'd be in in 24 with the cartridge. I like to be at my best on a night out, but I try to avoid shaving more than once a day (don't want to get to the point where I have to go twice a day...). For a big night out, I might postpone shaving until the evening, if that's possible.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
More passes...

Tooch said:
I can usually make it to 11 am before I look like Fred Flintstone. I'll shave again if we're going out to dinner. Of course, that adds to my grooming time, but my wife is preening herself again alongside me.

...would help. I go with, across and against, with a water clean up. I have a very heavy beard and I look good all day.

On the main topic. I don't see what could take so much time. Even with a three pass shave, I'm showered shaved, and dressed in coat and tie in a about 40 minutes. That is everything. Brushing teeth, aftershave, everything.

Interesting. My wife and I talked to man who had gotten his first pedicure. I just can't work up any desire to do that sort of stuff. I go to an old school barbershop, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot