Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New target commercial......sigh.....

retrogirl1941

One Too Many

~*Red*~

Practically Family
lol lol lol It's so funny you remarked about this commercial as I was watching tv with the hubs recently and he saw the commercial and says, "1930's vintage flowers????, What, flowers in the '30's don't grow anymore?"

I just :rolleyes: and said, "I know."

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
My friend and I were talking about it and she's a stickler for authenticity in reenacting and other areas. She said "it sent my blood pressure up" when she saw the commercial. I just though it was very funny 1930s=art noveau? Right!lol We will go with that.......:rolleyes:

Samantha

zaika

One Too Many
i saw that, too. :rolleyes: but it's modern fashion...it doesn't seem like they care too much for accuracy.

that said, i think the clothes are kinda cute! ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The whole idea is that they're saying, "We're, like, drippy empty headed valley girls? Like, ya know? And we like, don't really care? I mean who really cares about stuff like that? Ya know?" And ALL the little empty headed girls out there think that's JUST how they want to be.
The dresses look more like 1969 flower power hippy dresses to me, actually. [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
retrogirl1941 said:
They did mention something to the effect of: "Art Noveau the way they did it in the 1970's" [huh]

And they try to make it sound all new and special, but they're not even taking up something that's been done before... they're taking something that was done, and then redone, and then redoing it over again.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Odd to put myself in a position of defending these people, but they're speaking of the patterns and they're trying to explain their inspirations for then, however inelegantly.

Still, I am sure they are the foremost authorities on their own opinions.

I’m impressed with the clothes; they’re nice, feminine, and affordable. We should be saluting them.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I’m impressed with the clothes; they’re nice, feminine, and affordable. We should be saluting them.

Each to their own, I guess. I find them kind of ugly and devoid of style. But no matter, I don't have to buy them :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
Each to their own, I guess. I find them kind of ugly and devoid of style. But no matter, I don't have to buy them :)
Exactly! You don't! :)

And I'm not suggesting that anyone does, but from my perspective, at least they're not ripped, or vulgar, or look like they were pulled from a trash bin!

You know, I didn't realize this was in the Powder Room! I never post in here. I am outta here! Sorry!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
(stepping out of corner)I was just pointing out how funny it was they were confusing art noveau and 1930s along with the 1970s. Being one that designs clothing, I can't make fun of someone's inspiration(even if they dont know how to word it:rolleyes: ).

Samantha

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Its fashion.....

it cycles..and each cycle is not accurate to the 'original' so to speak....

and each time around, the ads say 'harkening back to...' or 'inspired by the ...'

Nothing new really......trust me, even in the 20s, 30's and 40's they had trends that 'harkened back' to fashions that came before....and ads that said that.

Nothing is -ever- new.....although fig leaves as clothes haven't been used in a while...even they are a copy...... ;)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
(stepping out of corner)I was just pointing out how funny it was they were confusing art noveau and 1930s along with the 1970s. Being one that designs clothing, I can't make fun of someone's inspiration(even if they dont know how to word it:rolleyes: ).

Samantha

I just saw the commercial in passing on tv and didn't pay much attention to it, but from I got from the commercial was that they were inspired by the 70s takes on 1930s and art noveau fashions. If you look at a lot of 70s fashions, they are very inspired by 1930s and art noveau looks. I think that is what they were trying to say.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
Its fashion.....

it cycles..and each cycle is not accurate to the 'original' so to speak....

and each time around, the ads say 'harkening back to...' or 'inspired by the ...'

There was a huge "gay 90s" fad in the 40s (dresses with faux bustle backs, doll hats, etc.). A Lot of 60s fashion were inspired by 1920s looks. And as I said, a lot of 70s fashions were inspired by the 1930s. I seem to remember quite a bit of thrift store chic in the 70s where musicians and such were wearing thrifted 30s fashions as well. Didn't The Pointer Sisters have a 70s thrift store take on 1930s fashions look? Hell, even Anton LaVey and his crew were wearing thrifted 30s vintage in the 70s.

epr25

Practically Family
I thought the same thing. I wondered why they just didn't say "hey we are remaking 70's clothes" That's what they look like to me. And they aren't any different then most of the other things at the mall branded or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24