Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New To Fedora's

Madtv43

New in Town
I'm a new lover of fedora's (also new to this site). As of now I only have a stingy brim, and belfry bogart. I was wondering if there are any good websites where I can pick up a nice full brim that won't break the bank, the bank being rather limited since I am only 17 and work at McDonalds.

Madtv43

New in Town
I'd prefer to buy from an actual hat shop of some sort, but in my little town we barely have stores that carry even stingy brims

Mulceber

Practically Family
You say that the bank is rather limited. About how limited? Unless you can find some good deals on ebay (and hey, they do exist), then you're looking at about $100 for a decent fedora. I'd recommend looking at Akubras, as they give you the best bang for your buck. What's your hat size, btw? -M

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Large, or about 7 1/2 if you go by numbers. $100, I might be able to do. I can always pick one up after I get my student loans

I would stick to hats with numbered sizes, rather than s/m/l....you tend to weed out the lowest common denominator that way. There's nothing wrong with wool felt hats per se, but in the long run, a fur felt hat is going to be a better investment. A good fur felt, with a bit of care, will last for decades and decades.

Akubras are a good choice. They're built to withstand the Australian outback so they can handle pretty much anything you throw at them, and they're pretty much all between the $100-$200 range.

David Morgan is the US distributor for Akubra. However many members here, myself included, have ordered from Australia via HatsDirect.com.

The Fedora Store has a pretty good selection as well.

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Default.asp

Madtv43

New in Town
Thanks, I'll take a look at them. I personally don't care for the wool felt actually, but they're typically the cheapest. I prefer a smoother fabric, wool tends to irritate my head a little. Thats why I don't care for my Bogart.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Also, many here have had good luck calling the HatCo (AKA Stetson and Resistol) outlet stores. If you find a Stetson you like and you know your size, you might want to give them a ring.

Madtv43

New in Town
If I find one I definitely will. I did find a hat on that website that I rather like. $112 is a little much for me at the moment, sadly.

Pry

New in Town
Seems like they're on sale every time I go to my Men's store back in the states. If you're on a budget, MSRP is your enemy. Somebody has it for sale somewhere. Worth buying your first from a place that can fit your properly I may add, so I'd avoid the net.

Madtv43

New in Town
Yeah, I'd love to buy from a shop, but I live in northern Idaho. I had to buy my stingy brim from Target. Not much of a selection up here.

Alex

Practically Family
Welcome Madtv43!

I know how you feel about not breaking the bank to find a nice fedora. I'm 18 and work at a grocery store, but I was able to buy a nice Stetson for $95, which was dropped from like $150 for some reason. I bought my first two hats at JcPenny's:p

Akubras are great hats I hear, but I haven't been able to find one with a brim size much less than 2 1/2" so if you're looking for a stingy, I'm not sure about Akubra, unless the other loungers have more info than I do about them. Which I know for a fact they do :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
nah, I want a full brim. Stingy is too hollywood for my taste. I like an old fashioned mobster look

Then you want the Akubra Federation IV.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=40&returncat=Federation&returnpage=0

$112 right now with the exchange rate.

Here's mine in carbon grey, with pinstriped suit to accentuate the "mobster-ness" of the pic:
suithat.jpg

Madtv43

New in Town
Thats actually the one I was looking at, thinking moonstone gray. It seems like a versatile color that I can match with both my pinstripe suit and Darker tux. Also it wouldn't look too bad with my old school trench coat.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Welcome Madtv43!

I know how you feel about not breaking the bank to find a nice fedora. I'm 18 and work at a grocery store, but I was able to buy a nice Stetson for $95, which was dropped from like $150 for some reason. I bought my first two hats at JcPenny's:p

Akubras are great hats I hear, but I haven't been able to find one with a brim size much less than 2 1/2" so if you're looking for a stingy, I'm not sure about Akubra, unless the other loungers have more info than I do about them. Which I know for a fact they do :)

Alex,
You need to take a good look at ALL of what Akubra has to offer. Probably OVER 1/2 of their hats are OVER 2 1/2" wide brims. More like 3" and better !! Take a look at David Morgan's site, he is the US importer for Akubra. http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2

Onward thru the Fog:)

Tone

A-List Customer
2 1/2" sides have somehow since been designated as a "widebrim" since the FED IV's creation. The FED III must have been referred to as a "Deluxe" brim back in the day. ;)

If you want the general specs of a 2 1/2" brim on the sides (for a general teardop style) there are plenty of hats to consider. The FED IV is one of them. There are also a good selection of hats from places like Miller hats here in open crowned style that have been available in those specs for a long time. For a hat like the FED IV's 2 1/2", or the many other hats out there in those dimensions, there is no shortage of options. Miller hats, Bencraft hats, Village Hats, and so on.

The Stetson Nostalgia is a big favorite here, and comes with the tradition of the Stetson name in the sweat if you're after a general fedora. If you're not wanting to buy a hat that's already creased exactly like what you'll end up putting into a FED anyway, give Miller hats a look. Also, Bencrafthats has some new hats in stock that match. Both of those stores - more for certain - offer less restrictive dimensions should you favor a different crease to go with your hat.

There's always Akubra, and if you like that basic fedora look of a teardrop crease on a 2 1/2" brim, grab one of those. The Akubra imperial felt is great. For anything larger, the Squatter's crown is superb as a fedora, but you'll have to trim the brim.

Good luck! So many general fedoras from which to choose!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Allow me to place a vote for the Akubra Federation. I took a chance after reading the raves here, and ordered two, a Carbon Grey (almost a black in low light) and in late 2009, a Moonstone. Naturally I was a little worried about fit when ordering from the other side of the world. But after I measured my skull twice (I'm a 7), I sent the figure to HatsDirect. With that, they advised me to get a 57, saying that the Feds tended to run "a little large." Both fitted fine once I put a little padding in behind the sweatband. They provide that, but you can fold up some paper towels for the same purpose. The Grey is a little stiff, but fits well; the Moonstone I ease onto my head, and it expands a tiny fraction and then recloses, almost as if it were elastic instead of leather in the band. Comfortable, though, and it stays on.

Most important is that they were easy to shape, thanks to suggestions you'll find here, and they stand up to rain without a care. We don't get much snow in The Swamp, but I expect they'll do fine in that too. You won't be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner