Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New To Fedora's

Tone

A-List Customer
gtdean said:
The Campdraft is an Open Road that wasn't on the scene in this configuration until the late 1940s. Don't see how it can represent a 30s style fedora....

I said closest to the FED III, not a 30's style fedora.

warbird

One Too Many
I'd love to see that "FED II" since it was never actually a hat in production. But, about the current Federation: that sounds like they just went and tried to fix a hat that was designed in the wrong specs in the first place (on the FED III) for an Indy hat; though I do recall the FED III received just as much value for being an accurate Indy hat during its time.

Sorry, my Fed is a Fed III. Typo. My III is a very old one. However I do seem to recall some people having a Fed different than mine, but still a Fed. I'm not talking about revamped squatters. That seems to be my recollection, but I might be wrong. The IV used an older block, one that sizes differently as well. It is similar to the old block of the FED III, but a bit different. The brim is a bit narrower and the ribbon is much darker. I don't know if HD still sells the III, but for a long time you could buy either. So what if they wanted a different look with the new movie? Steve's hat is also a bit different than the other Indy movie hats. There are lots of similar, but different old blocks. Who cares. What does it matter?

Some people get wayyyyyyy too wrapped up in this stuff IMO. I like my III and find little different than a IV, but like my crown a bit more. That said, I never set out to have an Indy hat. It was just a neat hat at a good price. That's why I got one. I don't care how close it is to Indy. When it was made it was the best option for a straight sided tall crown with a fairly narrow brim. I liked the dimensional brim even better. Is that very 1930's don't know don't give a damn. I really don't know your point here. Nothing was wrong with the Fed III, but they changed for a change of pace with the new movie coming out and a desire to make something a tad different.

If you want a hat just like one of the movies and just like a scene in one of the movies, get a Adventurebilt. I wanted a hat of the style of the Fed that I could simply buy and use. Didn't have to search for a vintage hat and they were a dang sight better than anything Stetson was making at that time IMO in a similar style. I had a Snowy River already and thought it looked like a neat style.

And my Fed III has served its purpose for me. I have about 4 million miles on it now and it has seen all but one continent. And I'm not going to Antarctica. So that will have to suffice. I don't have to make my hat up in some fake dirt, it earned it and is still going strong, albeit with a fairly stained ribbon. This thread has kind of turned into nonsense. I am not at all sure of your point Tone. If your point is there are a lot of hats that could b made to look Indy style, yeah sure. If your point is there are other companies that tall crowned hats and have been doing so, you're right. But before Akubra they were all custom makers and cost a lot more than a Fed did and still does for that matter. It is still the best deal out there for a nice fur felt hat f you are and Indy fan or a fan of that style of hat. Nobody else is mass making them.

Last edited:

Tone

A-List Customer
I own two FED III's, myself. Great hats - and very hard to find one like them anymore (save for custom hats...) No, there aren't plenty of FED III style hats; but the FED IV, yes, LOTS like it and most have been out for a long time; many without the dimensional brim, too. But - what exactly is a revamped Squatter and how did "fake dirt" come into the conversation?

Last edited:

warbird

One Too Many
I own two FED III's, myself. Great hats - and very hard to find one like them anymore (save for custom hats...) No, there aren't plenty of FED III style hats; but the FED IV, yes, LOTS like it and most have been out for a long time; many without the dimensional brim, too. But - what exactly is a revamped Squatter and how did "fake dirt" come into the conversation?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point of your posts. I don't find personally the Fed IV to be so dissimilar to the III to say there are many like the IV, but not like the III. The fake dirt was perhaps in relation to another thread , not this one, as relates to some who buy these hats just to put fake dirt on them to look like real Indy hats. Maybe it wasn't this thread. In general I think people get too wrapped around the pole on this.

Though I do like the III, I think the IV is just enough shorter that it fits more people's face structure. I wouldn't trade my III for a IV, but I wouldn't mind owning a IV either. Some people though seem to think the III is closer to a real Indy hat and some the opposite. I don't get hung up on this amount of detail though.

The squatter was a reference to the fact that in the days before the Fed, there were some people buying the Akubra Squatter and cutting a dimensional brim and revamping them to look like and Indy hat. This is going way back. At one time you could look on an old website version of COW and see how to do it. I started reading TFL long before I joined. At that time a lot of active COW members were active here, especially the ones involved in getting the Fed made. I started reading over there on COW because the Indy was always brought up here and related to things over on COW. I started reading over there to know what the Hubbub was all about.

Incidentally I am going to put a new ribbon on mine because it is the only thing on mine that looks like crap and I would like to own a gray Fed III if anyone wants to sell me one. :).

Diamondback1

New in Town
....from the Hat's Direct website : http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

The Akubra Federation IV

Many years ago we were contacted by both Indiana Jones fans and hat collectors who wanted a genuine pre World War 2 fedora.

Hats from this era were generally taller and had fuller crowns than the hats of today. Most were sold as "Open Crown" hats with the pre creased styles becoming more popular after WW2.

Please note this is an "Open Crown" hat which is not pre shaped to any particular look.

The Federation IV
Hatsdirect and Akubra Hats, together set about creating a new hat, selecting an older hat block set from that era. Advice from Mark Cross (Indygear.com) and Steve Delk (the hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones movie, Adventurebuilt) have assisted with advice and specifications for the new hat.

Please note: The Hattery and this fedora hat are not affiliated or associated with Lucasfilm Ltd. or the Indiana Jones films and this product is not authorized by Lucasfilm Ltd. We have sold out of the officially endorsed Indiana Jones hat and are awaiting stock on back order from our local wholesaler.

Why the name The Federation
When we introduced the first model we needed a name. The year was 1998 - the Centenary of Federation in Australia, with many historical pictures published showing people in hats such as the one we created. Hence the name The Federation. We believe Hatsdirect was the first company to offer an "Open Crown" fedora hat to the Indiana Jones fan community.

The hat has been through 3 transitions since its introduction, introducing a contrasting ribbon, a dimensional cut brim, a better quality version. We have now introduced a new set of specifications and refinements based on feedback and customer requests and have logically arrived at The Federation IV.

This hat has been selected by various movie houses and ad agencies wanting a true to period hat style. The next movie we expect to see the hat in will be a mini series on the ABC set in country Australia - possibly released late this year. They chose the Grey hat.

Use the menu to the left for further information and ordering the hat.

Note: Open Crown refers to a hat shape which has not been determined. Depending on the depth and amount of taper in a crown "block" a hat will be suited to shape as a Fedora, a Western style, a country style and so on. The shape of a hat is often referred to as the bash, and often all that was ever done to shape a hat was a simple bsh using ones hands. Today, most hats come "pre creased" to give any of the looks we have become accustomed to.

Is the Federation hat a replica of The Indiana Jones Hat?

No. We do not make any claim as such and leave that judgement to others. We understand there are a number of minor differences including the felt used, the shade, the ribbon quality and other refinements. As many of our hats are sold to Indiana Jones fans we are of course sensitive to requests they make regarding the specifications of the hat. The hat is made for Hatsdirect by Akubra Hats to our specifications and is not available through other outlets.

This is the case for other exclusive styles we offer.
It sounds to me like the Fed IV is latest in the evolution of an open crown, Fedora by Akruba made in the pre World War 2 style, whose production had it's roots in response to those seeking an Indy "style" fedora. As well, the latest iteration was designed with some helpful input from Mark Cross (Indygear.com) and Steve Delk (the hat maker for the latest Indiana Jones movie, Adventurebuilt). All of which warbird has alredy related.

A well built Fedora from Akruba ?..........I think I need one ! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran