Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, would like some advice

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You can also pad under the sweat to make the hat conform to your head shape if it does not already. Over time, with wear and sweat, if it is an unshrunken new hat, it will change shape more to your own head shape. At some point you can remove most to all of the padding. Ive padded the sides of a couple of my hats, as I am a long oval, and some of my hats arent (werent).

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I understand that with like anything else you have to pay for quality. I just can't afford to pay for the high end stuff with a wife and a child on the way on a teacher's salary. I guess the point is when I can spend a little extra cash that I get all the hat I can for the money.

I'm going to go against the grain and say enjoy the hats you have now. Focus on your baby because diapers, formula, clothing, etc. is going to be costly. My daughter is 14, when I finally felt comfortable spending a little money on hats, I went with Akubra for the bang for the buck. I found a couple of good deals on e-bay, but quality and sizing can be spotty.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
The only thing that gives me the spending money is I have pretty much destroyed by DVD collection by selling it off on ebay. So I have a little "me" money to spend. WHen you order a akubra does it take like months for it to arrive? I saw that on another thread.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The only thing that gives me the spending money is I have pretty much destroyed by DVD collection by selling it off on ebay. So I have a little "me" money to spend. WHen you order a akubra does it take like months for it to arrive? I saw that on another thread.

Usually not. But it depends on the color and whether or not it's in stock. Hatsdirect.com ships pretty fast, I don't recall it taking more than a week.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
It depends if the hat and size you want is in stock. I've ordered only with Hats Direct, I waited over a month to get one Camp Draft, 10 days or so on other fedoras in stock. Hats Direct was great to work with. Prior to the sale they helped me determine the right size and answered my questions. If you are interested in the Fed IV, it's an exclusive to Hats Direct. A lot of gents here love the Camp Draft, myself included, but it's a tall crown and wide brim, although you could pull it off. Spend some time looking through the Akubra threads. I remember browsing here and e-bay when I started also. Look at a lot of photos here in What Are You Wearing, Diamond Authority, Thin Ribbon, etc. Get a feel for what you really want for yourself. :)

Camp Draft...

IMG_3462-1-1-4-1.jpg

Federation IV...

FedIV_carb_sd_2-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Chuck I am starting to think I could pull off a bigger hat also. I really have my heart set on a diamond crown in a grey but of course I could come across a hat that changes everything.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I love the look of the camp draft but I like the band on the federation

When I first found the Lounge, I was looking for ideas on a Summer straw for sun protection. I didn't think I'd care for fur felts with a wide brim and the Open Road, thin ribbon style fedora didn't appeal to me at all. As I spent more time here and paid attention to vintage photos, my preferences changed. And my likes and dislikes continue to change with all the great lids pictured here. I bought a couple of hats because I liked the button on the wind trolley. That's what gets to be a little addictive about fedoras is the variety. The best way to save money is to get away while you still can. :)

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I love the look of the camp draft but I like the band on the federation

You might give a look at the Akubra Squatter, a nice straight open crown you can crease yourself ( it is EASY really ) a wider brim, bound edge, and the wider hat band/bow as you liked on the Federation. And you can find a nice selection, IN STOCK, at David Morgans here in the USA, shipped to you in 3/4 days ! Check 'em out :)

http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2

And here's my Squatter from DM:

11-8-10004.jpg

Onward thru the Fog :)

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Teach, sounds like you gota lot of good advice here. I would echo that for a full face fellow like yourself, a wide brim straighter crown would probably suit you better. I personally don't like stingy brims . They remind me of Russell on Survivor, and I really disliked that guy. With a wider face, stingy brims look like a cupcake perched up there...Some of the photos on the lounge show some great hats on full faced men...I echo the advice to check out Akubras at hatsdirect.com, although they initially over-sized me, and I had to it return for a size smaller, they did it at their cost with no problem.

Good luck to you

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I love all the pics guys! I was looking on the site and to be completely honest I got a little gun shy when I saw a 5 inch crown. I was worried what anything over a 4 would look like. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and go try on some hats to see my comfort level.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like the stylemaster and that it is somewhat of a compromise with its 4 1/4 inch crown.

A lot of hats are open crown between 5''-6''. This height is brought down significantly once the hat is shaped. That is why the crown is 4.25'' on that hat. Hell, the highest point on my Campdraft (open crown height 5.75'') is only about 4.5''! I wouldn't worry about the crown height for now. The Stylemaster or Bogie will do you just fine, I'm sure.

I would definitely recommend trying some hats on somewhere if you can get your hands on some.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yea Neophyte I think I will. I am heading out tomorrow through the vintage shops and hopefully the hat shop is open on Sundays. Going to see what I can find

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yea Neophyte I think I will. I am heading out tomorrow through the vintage shops and hopefully the hat shop is open on Sundays. Going to see what I can find

Be grateful there are hat shops nearby. I have to travle 4.5 hours to the opposite side of Tennessee to find the closest hat shop! lol

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Well I am lucky I guess as I said earlier one shop just happens to sell hats next to their suits while the other one is devoted. I need to strike up a rapport with these guys but I think they are going to figure out that I never buy anything! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany