Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, would like some advice

Chinaski

One Too Many
Okay Teach, I've read all the advice and I would add one thing. To clarify, the oval, long oval thing has to do with how a hat FITS and not necessarily how it LOOKS. When you go try on hats at the local brick and mortar hat store you'll start to see what fits around your head best.

As far as the height of the crown, an important factor as far as LOOKS is how much the hat tapers or doesn't taper. A hat with a lot of taper gets narrower as you get near the top of the crown. A hat with very little taper doesn't get narrower towards the top of the crown. This has to do with the look of the hat straight on, from the front. Lots of taper - wide around your head and getting narrow towards the top of the hat. Little taper - straighter looking sides from the bottom of the crown to the top when viewed from the front.

So the same crown height can look quite different depending on the taper. Your stingy has quite a bit of taper. You'll start to notice this and it will become a factor in your hat choices. I hope that doesn't further muddy the waters!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Well I got a wild hair a bought a hat this evening. After reading all of the advice and taking into account my financial status I decided that the best thing to do was step up a notch and get more of a hat. Sadly after much thought I can not afford an Akubra right now but maybe down the road. I research scala hats and saw very favorable write ups and found a hat that I simply fell in love with. It has most of what everyone says I need in my next hat. Less taper, a larger brim and a higher crown. I will post pics once it comes in here is a pic from the web.
dorfm258924_143524_lg.jpg

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Well like I said I feel that I need to take "baby steps" I felt it would be kind of foolish to dole out 130 bucks for a hat if I wasn't confident in my "hatitude" lol and anyways for the price this Scala New Yorker is right up my alley.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Well this thread has been much more than I ever expected when I started it! I am so happy to have a group of like minded individuals who can give advice and friendship online! It sounds corny but all the advice truly did mean a lot. I hope I didn't disappoint all you guys who love the Akubra, maybe one day I can land one of those! Again thanks for all the help and when I get my New Yorker I will post pics promptly!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well this thread has been much more than I ever expected when I started it! I am so happy to have a group of like minded individuals who can give advice and friendship online! It sounds corny but all the advice truly did mean a lot. I hope I didn't disappoint all you guys who love the Akubra, maybe one day I can land one of those! Again thanks for all the help and when I get my New Yorker I will post pics promptly!

Well done, 'Teach! I hope that hat turns out alright for you. Oh, and don't worry about disappointing anyone lol. Akubra will get you, eventually ;).

For now, just enjoy what's within your means. We are not elitists here on the Lounge; we won't lambast you for taking baby steps. This is a place for polite and friendly discussion of all things Golden Era, though the Hat section probably gets the most traffic.

Welcome and enjoy!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yes I am glad that I can come on here and talk about anything golden era. It is also nice that a guy like me who wears 50 dollar hats can talk hats with the people who have their custom made Art Fawcetts.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
So I know I am just full of questions but here it goes. When the weather does turn is it a hard fast rule that I gotta put up my wool fedoras? If so what brands make decent straw fedoras? Good straw porks out there too? Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Neophyte

So I know I am just full of questions but here it goes. When the weather does turn is it a hard fast rule that I gotta put up my wool fedoras? If so what brands make decent straw fedoras? Good straw porks out there too? Any help, as always, is appreciated.

Ask away!

Though there are exceptions, I've come to see the general observation is that wool felts more easily lose their shape when wet. Straw hats fair even worse, I think. Something about rain makes straws dry up and crack. If you are unable to get a felt hat, I'd recommend either waterproofing your hat, using an umbrella, or preferrably both.

As I said though, there are exceptions. The nicer wool felts have been observed to hold up fine. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Well like I said I feel that I need to take "baby steps" I felt it would be kind of foolish to dole out 130 bucks for a hat if I wasn't confident in my "hatitude" lol and anyways for the price this Scala New Yorker is right up my alley.

I think you made a good decision. Of course, we'll need to see pics when you get it.

Neophyte

O I am excited the pics will be promptly put up once I get it. Neo I am sorry I didn't make it more clear I meant from winter to spring and summer months.

Oh! Well that's a whole 'nother issue lol. It's really up to you. You can observe the "felt season" and the "straw season" or you could wear whatever the heck you want whenever the heck you want :D. There may have been rules decades ago, but around here we kinda just "take inspiration."

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family

There are a plethora of inexpensive straws on e-bay, on-line vendors, or even your local department stores. Due to the unpredictable weather on the Prairie, I went with a polypropylene Akubra 'Capricorn'. It blocks the sun, vents the heat and will stand up better than straw in a sudden downpour. Not everyones cup of tea, but practical for my needs.

Capricorn_1-1-1.jpg

Alex

Practically Family
It looks like you've made a nice purchase Teach. Can't wait to see the pics once you get it.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I hope to see the pics soon, Teach! And, like everyone else here, I won't be angry at you for not getting an Akubra at this point. ;)

It took me 2-3 years before I upgraded to proper hats (Akubras). When I got my first wool felt, I had no idea that they are less durable in rain than fur felts and thus it lost its shape within a year, forcing me to buy another.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
There are a plethora of inexpensive straws on e-bay, on-line vendors, or even your local department stores. Due to the unpredictable weather on the Prairie, I went with a polypropylene Akubra 'Capricorn'. It blocks the sun, vents the heat and will stand up better than straw in a sudden downpour. Not everyones cup of tea, but practical for my needs.

Capricorn_1-1-1.jpg
I love that hat it looks great on you. I will definitely browse ebay for a spring choice.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I hope to see the pics soon, Teach! And, like everyone else here, I won't be angry at you for not getting an Akubra at this point. ;)

It took me 2-3 years before I upgraded to proper hats (Akubras). When I got my first wool felt, I had no idea that they are less durable in rain than fur felts and thus it lost its shape within a year, forcing me to buy another.
Well that is at least one thing I do know that I can't expose my wool hats to the elements so maybe they will last a tad longer than a year I hope lol

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
It looks like you've made a nice purchase Teach. Can't wait to see the pics once you get it.

I am pretty satisfied with my purchase. It has all the elements that I have seen I needed like less taper and such and it is a 60 dollar retail on most web sites and I got it for 29 bucks so I can't complain.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For a first hat, I think you did very well. I wouldnt want to spend even a small fortune on something I knew so little about due to lack of exposure only to be disappointed. My first three or four brimmed hats were wool fedoras, all bought very close together. I wore them all the time, discarding them as the brims became irreparably wavy within a few months. That was the '80s.

As far as seasonal swapping in and out, youre going to get a bunch of opinions on this here. Some swear by felt-in-winter, straw-in-summer. Personally, I wear my felts all year, but then again, I dont live on the equator (or in the southern U.S.), where it gets hotter than wear I live. I get just about as hot under a straw as I do under a fur. Remove the lining and Im good to go.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you found a good start there Teach. If it fits your current price range and looks good on you that's all that matters. Did you go with that color grey or another color altogether? Just curious. Can't wait to se the pics once you get it.
For the Future, take a look at Everything Australian, they have a great selection of Akubra hats at fantastic prices. The Campdraft or the Squatter are only around $88 and they are sent open crowned.
Again, I can't wait to see what you got and what you think of it. Well done!

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou