Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to hats, would like some advice

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea there was a classifieds section, I'll check it out. Occasionally I see FedIV on Ebay that go for around my price range, if I ordered one from Hatsdirect it would cost £100, an expense I'm not sure I can handle right now but perhaps in the next year.

I've also found this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rabbit-fu...275261471?pt=UK_Hats&var=&hash=item3cd5381a1f

Not much to be found for the company but for the price it seems pretty decent for rabbit, if I got that I would need to attempt a rebash to make it look a bit nicer. Any thoughts?

TAutry

New in Town
Welcome to the forum! I'm a new guy here too and just got my first real fedora, an Akubra Stylemaster. Today and tomorrow are graduation days at the university where I work. Since it was a dress up occasion, I wore the StyleMaster. I tried looking at used hats, but the ones I really liked were going to cost nearly as much as the new Akubra. If you can save up a little longer or sell some stuff, you might want to consider it so you can get the hat you really want.

If you haven't looked at the StyleMaster, I would recommend it. I went with the charcoal gray, but the Acorn is a nice shade of brown. For the first real wearing, I was very happy with my choice.

Good luck tracking down your new addiction or hat. . .

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just within your price range (assuming you escape customs fees - often do with Australian packages, compared to almost never with US) would be The Akubra Squatter: http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=20 nice hats - I've got both colours, and you can ask for them to come open crown, but there is the three month wait...

These are just in your price range and aren't bad quality (made by Tonak) http://www.hatcentre.co.uk/classic-wide-brim-brown-p-91.html

Personally though I think if you've got your heart set on a Fed I'd start saving up whilst keeping an eye on the classifieds - just remember you'll be looking at customs/handling fees on purchases from outside the EU - a good rule of thumb is put aside £10 + 20% of the hat cost on top.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hi All!

I'm looking to buy a new hat as a graduation present to myself.

I really like the Indy style hats but honestly I'm open to anything that catches my eye.

My price range is around £45-70 including delivery so I'm open to buying second hand too.

Realistically I'd love a Akubra Federation IV but the cost including delivery to the UK is far too much for me to spend as a student unless I can find one second hand.

So in a nutshell:

£70 budget including delivery to UK
Brown possibly Indy style hat
Preferably rabbit felt (would love beaver but out of my price range)
Size 60-61cm

Thanks for any help :)
I sure wish you lived on this side of the pond....I'd sell you a nice thin ribbon Open Road style hat for a starter hat below your stated price range. I will be posting the hat in the classifieds in a day or so. It would have to be hat jacked to fit but I am sure I could do that for you if you have an interest, let me know. It has some issues with a few moth nibbles on the brim and one or two on the side of the crown, but nothing so ugly to keep from being worn and enjoyed. I am selling the hat to collect extra funds for some things I am buying for myself and my Husband.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Hello Manofkent. Im about to order a stylemaster from everythingAustralian. just a question, how many times have you had to pay custom charges from Australia?

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Thanks everyone for your advice and kindness, I've been lurking this forum for a while and it seems like a great community.

I made a purchase but it was different to what people have suggested.
After a bit of research I bought an Advintage Junior from Germany. http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/products/Junior-Fedora/Junior-Fedora1.html

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Controversially I chose a Crystal Skull style bash because its similar to the original Raiders but not quite as dramatic so hopefully it'll be easier to wear around busy Newcastle.

I believe I paid around £55 for this including shipping so its under my budget by quite a bit.

I'm going to make a video review of the hat when it arrives so I'll post that somewhere here.

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Did you get it shaped or open crown?

I'm glad someone else from the UK has had a good experience with Advintage, just makes me even more excited to receive mine!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for your advice and kindness, I've been lurking this forum for a while and it seems like a great community.

I made a purchase but it was different to what people have suggested.
After a bit of research I bought an Advintage Junior from Germany. http://www.advintagefedora.de/shop/products/Junior-Fedora/Junior-Fedora1.html

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Controversially I chose a Crystal Skull style bash because its similar to the original Raiders but not quite as dramatic so hopefully it'll be easier to wear around busy Newcastle.

I believe I paid around £55 for this including shipping so its under my budget by quite a bit.

I'm going to make a video review of the hat when it arrives so I'll post that somewhere here.

hmmm....that's not a bad looking hat for the money. It looks pretty nice actually. I like the looks of that one. I'd be interested in your thoughts once you get it.

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
I did look at Stetsons but I really struggled to find something in my price range that I thought would suit me, perhaps sometime in the future one will catch my eye.

A quick update on the Junior Fedora I ended up buying, apparently it isn't crushable - Forgive my lack of knowledge but are fur felt hats usually labelled as crushable? What would really happen if it accidentally got squashed or something?

I'm also looking at installing a custom liner in it, I was thinking a nice rich purple satin would look great against a sable hat. I understand the process of stitching the liner under the sweat band but I'm not entirely sure of which shape and size to cut the liner. Does anyone have any reference for this?

I'll open a new topic for this sort of stuff if people think others would get some use out of the information - just to make it a bit easier to find.

And once again, thanks to everyone who offers advice.

I did look at Stetsons but I really struggled to find something in my price range that I thought would suit me, perhaps sometime in the future one will catch my eye.

A quick update on the Junior Fedora I ended up buying, apparently it isn't crushable - Forgive my lack of knowledge but are fur felt hats usually labelled as crushable? What would really happen if it accidentally got squashed or something?

I'm also looking at installing a custom liner in it, I was thinking a nice rich purple satin would look great against a sable hat. I understand the process of stitching the liner under the sweat band but I'm not entirely sure of which shape and size to cut the liner. Does anyone have any reference for this?

I'll open a new topic for this sort of stuff if people think others would get some use out of the information - just to make it a bit easier to find.

Crushable tends to be a term used for wool hats, aka crushers. Fur felts typically are foldable or rollable, aka traveller or foldaway....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

As gtdean stated, crushable is a term mostly used for wool hats. In any event, you made a much wiser choice in selecting a fur felt over wool. Fur felts usually have pretty good memory. So if they get a little bit misshapen you should be alright.

Dr Mcgrat

New in Town
Hi All,

A new twist in my hat quest. (Me looking for a hat has more twists than an M.Night Shyamalan film it seems!)

Advintage have a procedure in place to review international orders before sending payment request, which is handy but it means I've been waiting 4 days just to be able to pay for my hat.

I've been in contact and asked some questions and Thomas was really helpful and patient but I still haven't had a chance to pay for the hat I ordered on Friday.

In that time I've thought really hard about what I want from a hat and really I could see myself regretting a cheaper purchase and then upgrading to a Federation IV in a few years. (I'm also going away for a few weeks soon and would really like a new hat to take with me)

I sold an old guitar of mine to a friend and I've ordered the Federation IV using the proceeds to increase my budget.

I hope the hat holds up to the things I've read about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany