Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Tweed Caps

MJH

New in Town
Top Secret Hats has a poll on for their new tweed caps. I don't want to influence anyone else's choice but I love one of them and I want everyone to vote! I can't help feeling that the flat cap style is winning because the younger generation are voting. I love the James Dermot caps and really want the right one to win so that I can add it to my collection!
http://www.topsecrethats.com/james-dermot-cap-vote

MJH

New in Town
Well - I wasn't going to say my choice but since you have..... I went for G too!! I liked E too though! If I had to go for the flat cap design I think I'd go for A.:D

fmw

One Too Many
G is also my choice, not because of the weave but because I prefer the newsboy style.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I like H as it has a more 20's 30's cut the G is a fuller cut cap. Not a fan of the weaves on the hats.

James-Dermot-Cap-H.jpg

I like the green and gray cap cloth.
James-Dermot-Cap-B.jpg

James-Dermot-Cap-D.jpg

Though I am not a fan of the flat cap style.

mattface

Practically Family
I can't help feeling that the flat cap style is winning because the younger generation are voting. [/url]

Really? You think the youger generation prefers flat caps?

My father and maternal grandfather both preferred flat caps. My dad was born in 1942, my grandpa grew up on a farm during the great depression. Most people I've seen sporting the news boy style are 40 or under, so I would make the opposite assumption. Or by "younger generation" did you mean the under twenty crowd? Their preferences on caps are not yet clear to me. My 14 year old son has a flat cap, but prefers stingy brim fedoras. Most of his contemporaries seem to favor ball caps and the occasional cloth stingy brim.

Personally I'll have to recuse myself from voting, as I can't really wear either style. My ex-wife once told me I looked like my dad in a flat cap, and the way she said it made me inclined not to try and wear them again, and I don't think newsboys work with my un-hair style.

MJH

New in Town
Really? You think the youger generation prefers flat caps?

My father and maternal grandfather both preferred flat caps. My dad was born in 1942, my grandpa grew up on a farm during the great depression. Most people I've seen sporting the news boy style are 40 or under, so I would make the opposite assumption. Or by "younger generation" did you mean the under twenty crowd? Their preferences on caps are not yet clear to me. My 14 year old son has a flat cap, but prefers stingy brim fedoras. Most of his contemporaries seem to favor ball caps and the occasional cloth stingy brim.

Personally I'll have to recuse myself from voting, as I can't really wear either style. My ex-wife once told me I looked like my dad in a flat cap, and the way she said it made me inclined not to try and wear them again, and I don't think newsboys work with my un-hair style.

Interesting - you've got me thinking now! Maybe you're right. Maybe more people go for the flat cap as it's not so attention grabbing. I've seen a lot of young people on the streets wearing flat caps. The ones with the 8 piece caps & newsboy styles tend to be a bit more on the adventurous side - which is nice!:D

mattface

Practically Family
Interesting - you've got me thinking now! Maybe you're right. Maybe more people go for the flat cap as it's not so attention grabbing. I've seen a lot of young people on the streets wearing flat caps. The ones with the 8 piece caps & newsboy styles tend to be a bit more on the adventurous side - which is nice!:D

Yes I think those who go for the newsboy are trying to stand out a bit, they are a lot less common, and therefor more distinctive, and I'm all for that as well. Folks I know who sport the newsboy are definitely trying to cultivate a 20s inspired vintage look.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
For me the flat cap doesn't work as I like to pull the right side of the newsboy down to my ear so the hat is cocked and the flat cap just doesn't look as good on me worn that way.

Edward

Bartender
G or H would be my choice, though I could live with E or F at the right price. The other, regular flatcaps are just dull to me, though. That's personal preference of course and I don't by any means dismiss their validity - they were and still, in some places, are the hat of choice of the working man for many years over this side of the Atlantic. Thing is, everybody and their dog produces flat caps these days, whereas eight panels and Bond caps are much rarer. Of course, for a hatter wanting to stay in business, just because something isn't common everywhere else doesn't mean they have spotted a gap in the market - it could easily be there's little or no supply because there's little or no demand! I can't see myself buying a flat cap again, though (in fact, I'm probably going to clear out the two I have), whereas I will definitely buy more eight panels.

Edward

Bartender
Yes I think those who go for the newsboy are trying to stand out a bit, they are a lot less common, and therefor more distinctive, and I'm all for that as well. Folks I know who sport the newsboy are definitely trying to cultivate a 20s inspired vintage look.

I see the newsboy styles a lot more than any other kind of cap on the vintage scene generally here in the UK. That said, they're no more "period correct" to the 20s through 50s than are the flat cap, to the best of my knowledge. Probably the difference is that they simply faded from popularity much longer ago than the flat cap (which remains strong to this day, especially in areas such as the (formerly industrial heart) of the North of England), therefore "look" more vintage to the average punter. Similar to shirt collars - they had 'em all back then, but it's the spearpoint we all immediately think of as Thirties now, I believe because it's so rarely seen nowadays that its lesser durability in mainstream fashion terms now creates the notion that it is somehow more of that time. Lest anyone think I'm getting at those who prefer these options with their vintage now, I'm certainly not - I adore newsboys and spearpoint collars!

ETA: I suspect the longevity of the flatcap design and its ubiquity at this point has a lot to do with the relative simplicity of the design. It can't not be cheaper and quicker to produce, surely, than an eight panel?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
James-Dermot-Cap-H.jpg

What The Wise Hatter said. Cap H's shape is closest to that of '20s-'30s vintage caps. In fact, it looks dead-on accurate! Like something a "Boardwalk Empire" extra would be wearing.

Of course, it's garnered only 12% of the vote so far, so it probably won't win. Too bad.

Nobert

Practically Family
I'm willing to bet this has already been discussed extensively on this forum, but the major difference I see in pictures of flat caps from back in the day (besides just being larger) is that they seem to have been made from one piece of cloth, pleated underneath to create the shape, while today they're made from two pieces.

I like E through H, I like that the bills protrude a bit out front.

MJH

New in Town
G & H are running away with it now! I do like E as well but it's not doing so good! Neither is A & I like that one too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner