Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New User, with lots of question :)

jcw122

New in Town
Hi everyone,

My name's Jon and I'm 18 years old. I've always been fascinated by the old styles and attire of the 30's and 40's. Fedoras and Ivy caps have also been a huge interest to me also. After I found this board, I decided that I wanted to try to start wearing this type of clothing/hats, or at least have one outfit, not necessarily a whole wardrobe.

OK so my questions:

1. Where does everyone buy their clothing? I've seen some VERY sharp attire from member posts, but I haven't seen many references for where to purchase clothing like this. My first guess is an actual tailor or suit shop?

2. What are some basic names for all the different clothing? As you may have noticed, I've been fairly vague with what I'm talking about, as I'm not sure what to refer to everything as. Suit, pants, and coat seems more specific, but also vague. Additionally, what are some popular brands?

3. What are the price(s) or price ranges for different articles of clothing for the 30's and 40's style of clothes? Like I said, I'm 18, so I don't have tons of money to spend.

4. As I mentioned earlier, I'm very interested in fedoras. But with the lack of proper attire to wear one...I wanted to know if there are any more modern looks/attire/outfits that can be worn along with a fedora?

That's basically all I wanted to know for now...let me know if I'm being too vague with my questions though. Thanks!

K

kpreed

Welcome!

I really hope you enjoy the lounge. I guess you can be as vintage in your look as you want. For me, much of my clothing only looks vintage, I go for what I like, vintage or not and a fedora can make most things only look better.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suggest you start with "Fedora Lounge FAQ" and work your way down every thread in hats, general attire, etc. There is so much information here! Another really good way to educate yourself is to cruise around the ebay auctions of any given era, say, the 1940's, and see what's available in men's. Depending on where you live, thrift stores like the Salvation Army are a good source of vintage, as is ebay.

cowboy76

Suspended
jcw122 said:
Hi everyone,

My name's Jon and I'm 18 years old. I've always been fascinated by the old styles and attire of the 30's and 40's. Fedoras and Ivy caps have also been a huge interest to me also. After I found this board, I decided that I wanted to try to start wearing this type of clothing/hats, or at least have one outfit, not necessarily a whole wardrobe.

OK so my questions:

1. Where does everyone buy their clothing? I've seen some VERY sharp attire from member posts, but I haven't seen many references for where to purchase clothing like this. My first guess is an actual tailor or suit shop?

2. What are some basic names for all the different clothing? As you may have noticed, I've been fairly vague with what I'm talking about, as I'm not sure what to refer to everything as. Suit, pants, and coat seems more specific, but also vague. Additionally, what are some popular brands?

3. What are the price(s) or price ranges for different articles of clothing for the 30's and 40's style of clothes? Like I said, I'm 18, so I don't have tons of money to spend.

4. As I mentioned earlier, I'm very interested in fedoras. But with the lack of proper attire to wear one...I wanted to know if there are any more modern looks/attire/outfits that can be worn along with a fedora?

That's basically all I wanted to know for now...let me know if I'm being too vague with my questions though. Thanks!

Hey Pennsylvania boy, welcome to the lounge from another Pennsyltukian!;) Where in PA are ya located? If you're into old movies and old theaters, check out the movie nights I mention from time to time in the southeast PA region...
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26052&highlight=grand+theater
If you're up to it and interested, PM me and feel free to head on out. The place is nice, not to ritzy but it should be a nice little time.

Now, on to your questions my friend....

1. where to buy? Contact me,...if you're anywhere remotely near my area I can point you in the right direction. If you're a smaller size, I may be able to help you get started off on the right path. Ebay can be good, but 90% of my vintage dealings on Ebay have led to horrible nightmares from people who dont know what they're selling or dont care to mention holes and tears!! Some of the loungers sell and can be trusted though. I warn you though, once you get into it, you're bound to love it, the whole 30s and 40s thing,....its all good brother!!

2. Different names,....makers,...??.....well, best thing to do is head to ebay and pick yourself up a department store catalogue from the 30s and 40s. From there you will have yourself a good foundation to learn from. Theres just too many facets and variables in clothing, vernacular terms, etc. to go there.

3. As far as prices, they are all over the board! I've got stuff for $1 up to $100 depending on what it is, etc. Dot be fooled by people who tell you you have to have tons of cash to get into the vintage 30s-40s lifestyle,...they're clueless, unlucky or just yuppies!

4. Fedoras are universal. A timelsss look that can go with a large amount of looks. I tend to stay away from most modern looks, unless it was a modern look for the 1940s at best.

Again, welcome and have fun here, stay away from the drama and enjoy yourself!! Have a merry Christmas!!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
As to where to get vintage and vintage style clothing, check out thrift shops like Goodwill and the Salvation Army. You'll usually find more modern vintage-style clothing though once in a while you'll get lucky and find some nice condition vintage stuff for cheap. It just takes some patience and luck.

Welcome to the Lounge.

jcw122

New in Town
OK thanks a bunch guys, I'll have to check out my local Goodwill/Salvation Army soon, then I'll get back to this thread.

Cowboy, what region of PA are you in? Is that South Eastern?

lyburnum

Practically Family
A couple of people I think have great style are the Miller brothers of Barker Black. My boyfriend and I met one of them in New York at their store last year and the two of them spent about an hour just talking about suits and attire. Miller says that all his best suits have been thrift store finds, and that he gets his tailor to perfect them for him. Most of his favourite suits he's never paid more than $30 for apparently! Their advice to my boyfriend in his quest for a nice suit was simply to have patience, and find a good tailor

derrick20millerbroslx9.jpg

Twitch

Yeah find a nice fedora on Ebay that suits you- I've not spent more than $25 and obtained some never-worn hats. Be patient and don't get swept up in bidding. Next week there'll be plenty more similar hats.

And with the hat you literally can wear it with anything. I've worn them with sweats and gotten, "nice hat!" comments.

Miss 1929

Books!

I also suggest Dover Book's "Everyday Fashions" series, they have one for the 20s, one for the 30s, and one for the 40s. They are reproduction pages from catalogs and magazines and show the appropriate stuff by year, for men, women and children. For a beginner these are a very useful tool - you will learn the names of styles, fabrics, be able to tell what year your vintage is, etc.
And being new books, you can easily find them or have your local bookstore order them for you!

Miss 1929

Antique shows?

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but out here in California most of the large antique shows have clothing dealers. And there is the fabulous Vintage Expositions show, that happens in northern and southern California quarterly. Worth a trip with hundreds of dollars to burn if you can save up for it...
I get lots of stuff on Ebay but I am very careful about condition, measurements, etc. It can be treacherous for a newbie.

jcw122

New in Town
Wow thanks for all the additional help.

It's absolutely GREAT hearing you can put together an awesome suit without spending very much at all!

Looking better than most modern styles (of today) and paying a ton less for it....doesn't get much better than that :eusa_clap

Like I said, I'll have to do some digging, then I'll be back here with my finds! Thanks again everyone!

cowboy76

Suspended
Miss 1929 said:
I get lots of stuff on Ebay but I am very careful about condition, measurements, etc. It can be treacherous for a newbie.

It can be treacherous for anyone regardless of longevity,....there's no way to tel lif a person can use a measureing stick these days. I bought what was supposed to bea 1940s sweater, size L-XL,...he gave me measurements he supposedly took,....when it came ALL the measurements he gave were completely WRONG! Off by three to four inches in every direction. His feedback was good also, now I'm going through Paypal to try to get a refund! I'm out $70 bucks,....

Ebay is the palce I go when everywhere else is exhausted,....to much money to be stolen there by theives,....sadly that leaves good people on there reaping what all the jerks sow,....it comes down to the fact that anyone can say anything they want to behind a keyboard, they can list 10 good items, e honest with their description, then throw in three completly dishonest descriptions on a few messed up items. It happens all the time and isn't getting any better as time marches on either!!

kools

Practically Family
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've made over 100 clothing purchases on ebay without a single bad experience.

jcw122

New in Town
Hey everyone,

Well I stopped off at Goodwill today, but I didn't see anything that I could identify as being from the 30's/40's. I found a few suits with peak lapels, but that's all I could identify as older. They didn't seem very old though. Additionally, nearly all the suits there seemed way too big for me.

Man it was kinda scary too...such a depressing looking place. I'll have to try Salvation Army too, but I dunno if I can get there this week.

And, does anyone know why I can't send PMs yet?

panamag8or

Practically Family
jcw122 said:
And, does anyone know why I can't send PMs yet?

There is a certain post number that you must reach in order to be able to send PM's. Don't worry, you'll be there soon. Welcome to the lounge!

jcw122

New in Town
panamag8or said:
There is a certain post number that you must reach in order to be able to send PM's. Don't worry, you'll be there soon. Welcome to the lounge!

Thanks. Yeah I just figured that out after I posted...I read the FAQ (should have done that...blah).

jcw122

New in Town
OK well, cowboy's account apparently got suspended, so I never heard back from him.

Anyone else live in the Southeastern PA area?

BTW, seems like it's really hard to find vintage jackets/blazers in my size (36R).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou