Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Fashion Week

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
men's wear...

get_atomized said:
I like these looks, elegant! I would wear them. I prefer brown tones in men's wear though.

Umm, not sure, but I think those are women. Well, maybe boys? Teenagers. Not men though.

Seriously, these are either women or little boys, look at the lack of facial hair (even with a good shave).

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa

Jokes on me. Just read the thread from the beginning.

You know, I'm just not into women that look like little boys. Some of the models with the long blond hair looked cute in the RL bum-chic attire, but they would look much more beautiful in sun-dresses.

Not sure if this in on or off topic, so I'll throw up a sign: :eek:fftopic:

I do like a lot of his men's wear though.

Not sure I got all the info regarding the emasculating of pre- WW2 men's clothing after WW2, but why can't men be strong being men and women be strong being women?

Is it all about sales and "fashion?"

Now granted I'm sure some of those outfits look cute to some of the viewers, and they are well put together, but I just like sun-dresses better.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
~:eek: ~ :) thank you ~

Foofoogal said:
On topic. Is there a name for this RL type of depression era style clothing?

I read somewhere they were calling the collection "The Grapes of Ralph" --- isn't that name perfect? Love it!!!! :eusa_clap :D

Foofoogal

Banned
Steinbeck is rolling over in his grave.

definitely agree with Feraud on this one. The whole book of The Grapes of Wrath was about the downtrodden and the injustice of the wealthy towards the poor in California at the time. Surely he would see this as mockery. ( I know, some should lighten up....)
Another day on this one. He is my favorite author.

Feraud

Bartender
Carlisle Blues said:
Hardly...:p :p

Fashion that revives images of the Dust Bowl and the dirty 30s. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
So...you think anyone attending RL's runway show is thinking, "the plight of and historical injustices towards the immigrant migrant workers must end!"?

Carlisle Blues

Feraud said:
So...you think anyone attending RL's runway show is thinking, "the plight of and historical injustices towards the immigrant migrant workers must end!"?

I do not know what they are thinking; I do know what they are wearing. That is why I enjoy this event. :)

Carlisle Blues

Feraud said:
Of course the event is enjoyable. That is why Steinbeck is rolling over in his grave. :p :p

This is very circular was Steinbeck a fashion designer?? :p :p :p Is the event about social commentary??? Perhaps it is about social commentary regarding the poor economic times by charging better than $800 US for jeans. [huh] [huh]

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
SlyGI said:
Jokes on me. Just read the thread from the beginning.

You know, I'm just not into women that look like little boys. Some of the models with the long blond hair looked cute in the RL bum-chic attire, but they would look much more beautiful in sun-dresses.

Not sure if this in on or off topic, so I'll throw up a sign: :eek:fftopic:

I do like a lot of his men's wear though.

Not sure I got all the info regarding the emasculating of pre- WW2 men's clothing after WW2, but why can't men be strong being men and women be strong being women?

Is it all about sales and "fashion?"

Now granted I'm sure some of those outfits look cute to some of the viewers, and they are well put together, but I just like sun-dresses better.
Personally, I approve of and prefer anything that bends gender (and women and men have been doing that since long before the Golden Era!). It stuns me a little whenever I see protest on this forum against non-traditional gender representation - if you were looking at it through my eyes, I think you'd see this is a rarer "trend" than you think. It tickles me to see ambiguity in fashion because I usually don't see any part of my identity reflected in modern representations of femininity. Open up any issue of Cosmo and you would see women are receiving messages about what it means IDEALLY to be, act like, look like, talk like a woman just as much as they were fifty years ago. It might be coded differently, but it's still there.

I felt the need to edit and elaborate: There's nothing wrong with prefering feminine women, I like feminine women too, so do most straight men - and not just ones who dress vintage. There is already a lot of pressure to fall into line and look like a woman should. I have experienced queerbashing and street harassment for dressing in masculine and queer-coded clothing. If blurring those lines were really so rampant in modern conceptions of fashion and gender in mainstream society, that kind of reaction wouldn't be so prevalent in my daily life! In my opinion, featuring a wider variety of femininities and masculinities (and the spaces in between and outside those categories) can only help to increase acceptance and recognition.

Foofoogal

Banned
Open up any issue of Cosmo and you would see women are receiving messages about what it means IDEALLY to be, act like, look like, talk like a woman just as much as they were fifty years ago. It might be coded differently, but it's still there.

Haven't you heard. There is nothing new under the sun..lol
I personally feel women as a whole have less power than they did in the 1950s but that is another thread.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ahhh

I still like the sun dress. ;)

Good for other people to bend fashion! I'm definitely not the fashion plate of my group.

Didn't mean to sound like I was protesting anything. I'm not a protesting type of guy. Not sure what the non-gender representation thing is, but if you like it, more power to you.

I'm sure there are enough clothes for everyone to go around.

Sorry if I offended you in some way Get_Atomized, no harm was intended.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Foofoogal said:
Definitely agree with Feraud on this one. The whole book of The Grapes of Wrath was about the downtrodden and the injustice of the wealthy towards the poor in California at the time. Surely he would see this as mockery.

Ralph Lauren's hobo chic is nothing compared to this bulls**t "event" (which is probably a hoax). What a sick and heartless waste of someone's time and energy:

ghetto_gatsby_invite_first.jpg

ghetto-gatsby-3.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
Dust Bowl Chic!!!! I, for one, would wear that in a heartbeat! :D

Denim dead??????? He-he...... i don't think so! ;)

Nice collection RL!

ALeqM5ggcPYWP3CagUaoCIBdrfjBwjJAEA.jpg

This is cute. I would wear it in a minute.*

*Not for what this COUTURE ensemble costs but the look, yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit