Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Fashion Week

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
1st one, good. 2nd one... something's off. Maybe it's the catwalk zombie stare. :p
I can't really say. I guess the suit is too fancy, IMO, for the hat. This might be the one situation where a military-style beret would actually look good. A hat with a crown to it would look better.

Third, not bad. Fourth, can't get past the shoes. Fifth, another not bad.
I still object to the abuse of good denim, though. Seems too poseurish. However, that is coming from a landlubber who is known to run around in a yachting cap, so take from that what you will. lol

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"In the Antipodes I am never sure if we are one season Ahead or Behind, being the start of Spring here, the Shops are full of the "Safari Look" which tends to come around every ten years just as does "The Naval look" the "Peasant Look" "The "Army look"....................., im sure designers have a spreadsheet that tells them when we, as consumers are likely to throw garments out, a Klaxon goes off, and they know its safe to reinvent them the following season, too sick making!""

safari_trend09.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
im sure designers have a spreadsheet that tells them when we, as consumers are likely to throw garments out, a Klaxon goes off, and they know its safe to reinvent them the following season, too sick making
:eusa_clap It is amazing how easily the masses are manipulated.

I personally can see a time or place for the OP photos (even the masculine suits on the women and the outfit Viola just posted last from the original I would wear. I don't do skinny jeans so last is out.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
My Favorite Girl in Guy's Garb...

th_174813marlene-dietrich-posters.jpg
th_marlene_dietrich1.jpg
th_MarleneDietrich1.jpg

I've only dated two ladies who could make this look work, but wow! when it does, it works!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Carlisle Blues said:
Ralph Lauren’s Blues

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/ralph-laurens-blues/

While not referring directly to the Great Depression, Ralph Lauren cited hard times as the inspiration for this morning’s spring 2010 showing of faded jeans, bib overalls
This is the main reason why I think this collection won't work. Couture collections are generally meant to inspire fantasy. Sure, some VERY wealthy will by from the couture collection, but mostly it's designed to create buzz for the designer's other collections. If he's using the poor economic situation as inspiration for a fantasy, no one's gonna buy and it might turn off people from his more marketable (as in price points) collections. When most people are scrimping and saving, they don't want to look like they are.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
get_atomized said:
I have experienced queerbashing and street harassment for dressing in masculine and queer-coded clothing. If blurring those lines were really so rampant in modern conceptions of fashion and gender in mainstream society, that kind of reaction wouldn't be so prevalent in my daily life!
When I say that I don't like men's fashions on women, in my mind at least, it's different from women who might not be feminine or dress in frilly dresses. To me, it's a specific high fashion/couture trend. A model with loads of make-up, long hair, wearing a men's suit ironically. To me, it's a message of "men think women look cute in their clothes", similar to the common opinion that men think women look cute wearing their shirts and nothing else. It's another message of male designers telling women what they should wear and how they should look. If woman chooses to wear non-feminine clothing as self-expression, more power to her. She's no less a woman for it. To deep, dark secret of the fashion industry is that if you are male and like girls, you won't get far in the industry. I know people in who used to be in the industry and had to get out for that very reason.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flitcraft said:
th_174813marlene-dietrich-posters.jpg
th_marlene_dietrich1.jpg
th_MarleneDietrich1.jpg

I've only dated two ladies who could make this look work, but wow! when it does, it works!
I wish more tried it. Tomboy plus elegant doesn't add up these days.

kamikat said:
To deep, dark secret of the fashion industry is that if you are male and like girls, you won't get far in the industry. I know people in who used to be in the industry and had to get out for that very reason.
I don't exactly see the connection between that and women dressing as men, but it makes you think. I did know a couple of women designers in NY who were so in tune with that community, they even married ghey guys. One of them (a former classmate of mine - so was his bride) wasn't even in the business. That marriage broke up fast.

I dunno: is it ok to talk about teh ghey as a culture, or does it just mean politics and hate speech to the bartenders? Because it does connect with an interest in history and material culture. I have ghey friends, and not all of them agree with this, but there do seem to be areas of culture that are not explicitly sexual, or even feminine, but are considered ghey male "territory."

Example: historic building preservation. The thesis in this book is that there is some sort of "history gene" that is close to the assumed "ghey gene." As a thesis, it doesn't smell right to me, but it's fairly well reasoned (starting from a position that masculinity is about tearing down and building new to "leave a mark"). And ideas that promote group solidarity may gain acceptance.

350_RodCa36078510sr-1m.jpg

Here's a 10' pole in case anybody wants to touch this topic. And no, I'm not trolling. lol

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kamikat said:
Couture collections are generally meant to inspire fantasy. If he's using the poor economic situation as inspiration for a fantasy, no one's gonna buy and it might turn off people from his more marketable (as in price points) collections. When most people are scrimping and saving, they don't want to look like they are.

Exactly, with few exceptions, I really like his RL's Offerings in denim. I occasionally dress the way I used to when I practiced. However, the uniform of the day usually includes jeans. I enjoy looking at outfits bit the price is too high, no matter what the economic climate is. I shop at Nordstrom's The Rack. I do not want to pay full price when I do not have to.

However, under no circumstances will I pay $800 for jeans. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's only a movie

Lauren is probably not doing "hard times" as a fantasy vision. His vision is more probably "movies about hard times." You can evoke almost anything if you do it as homage to the screen. The 1930s are particularly good for that because our picture of that era is almost completely movie-dominated.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Lauren is probably not doing "hard times" as a fantasy vision. His vision is more probably "movies about hard times." You can evoke almost anything if you do it as homage to the screen. The 1930s are particularly good for that because our picture of that era is almost completely movie-dominated.

Your statement is plausible, nevertheless, whether it be screen or reality RL is attempting to recreate a style of dress that speaks to plain simple values and hard work. At least that is what it evokes in my mind. ;) I like it. :)

This was posted in Outerwear Denim Jackets today

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=869782#post869782

Zemke Fan said:
Hey guys... After looking at the RL show during NYC Fashion Week I got to thinking that I really, really, really need some vintage denim jackets to go with my new/old newsboy (thanks Marc!) and was wondering what combos people here have put together.

AND, Baron >> Could you fix the broken photo links, please? Thanks!!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think Fletch is right, I think its more "look like George Clooney in 'O Brother Where Art Thou'" i.e. roguish, ironic, unstuffy, not actually poor. It's the same as really really expensive "rustic" or "industrial" furniture.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yea,I have friends that do the designer ragamuffin look (not cheap) ; But just in case people might mistake them for homeless, they wear a 20K wristwatch........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany