Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie help request deciding first a-2 leather?

adiadi

Familiar Face
Yes, you have it on email. Not doubting you, but the Schott rep is just wrong. 3 oz. leather is 1.2 mm, 3 1/2 oz leather is 1.4 mm and 4 oz leather is 1.6 mm.

The standard minimum for riding jackets is generally considered to be 1.4 mm or 3 1/2 oz.

I just now looked up the chart on leather thickness. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-the-Thickness-of-Leather-is-Measured-/10000000000858717/g.html

The Schott 618 HH is more of a fashion jacket and not a riding one, that my conclusion of it.

Peacoat

Bartender
The Schott 618 HH is more of a fashion jacket and not a riding one, that my conclusion of it.
Perhaps, but I wouldn't completely discount it. It is a good choice on those days when the temps will heat up quickly, and it can roll up in a small bundle and be put in the saddle bag without taking up as much room as the Johnson, the Fox Creek or the Vanson (or several other more heavy riding jackets I have).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
3oz is not fashion leather - many bike leathers are 3oz or less - Brimaco and Brooks come to mind. Fashion leather is 2oz or less. I personally enjoy 2.5oz as thick, hard wearing everyday leather, to call it fashion leather would be unnecessarily disparaging.

adiadi

Familiar Face
3oz is not fashion leather - many bike leathers are 3oz or less - Brimaco and Brooks come to mind. Fashion leather is 2oz or less. I personally enjoy 2.5oz as thick, hard wearing everyday leather, to call it fashion leather would be unnecessarily disparaging.
Perhaps, but you see, I find 4.5oz, daily leather, hence my predicament.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That is a predicament. I find in Melbourne I rarely need more than a T-shirt so the thought of leather thicker than 2.5oz fills me with horror.

adiadi

Familiar Face
That is a predicament. I find in Melbourne I rarely need more than a T-shirt so the thought of leather thicker than 2.5oz fills me with horror.
Thickness of the leather does not really affect it's insulation capabilities as much, it's more the lining.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I well understand that. The point is we live in a warm country. A denim jacket is about as warm a garment as we would need. Thick leather is uncomfortable when it's over 16-17 degrees. I've collected and sold bike leathers and others for 32 years so I've had ocassion to work out what I like. If it actually gets cold, leather is hopeless for the reasons you have mentioned so it's doubly useless. :D

Last edited:

adiadi

Familiar Face
I well understand that. The point is we live in a warm country. A denim jacket is about as warm as we need. Thick leather is uncomfortable when it's over 15 degrees. I've collected and sold bike leathers and others for 32 years so I've had ocassion to work out what I like. If it actually gets cold, leather is hopeless for the reasons you have mentioned so it's doubly useless. :D
Now you have me fascinated, 32 years, that a lot of experience. I have just started to find me feet in this, in the last few years. Do you know where I can find a well made Kangaroo leather jacket ( I know USwings sells one, but I love to have an Australasian made Kangaroo leather jacket. )

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Man, there were great days in Melbourne in the 1980's. Mars leathers used to make great kanga jackets. They did a brilliant long half belt. I had 3 of those but rarely got to,wear them. Roo is about 2.2oz thick but very dense and tough. In those days there were many second hand clothing stores for the early equivalent of hipsters. Great American and British leathers to be had then. This lasted until the mid 1990's and was later obliterated by eBay. Mars was sold and now makes rubbish. I must have bought 10-15 jackets from then back in the day. Cafe racers were only worn by bikers back then. People would look at you funny if you wore one out.

Most roo is sold to overseas now - not sure how you can get roo here these days.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Man, there were great days in Melbourne in the 1980's. Mars leathers used to make great kanga jackets. They did a brilliant long half belt. I had 3 of those but rarely got to,wear them. Roo is about 2.2oz thick but very dense and tough. In those days there were many second hand clothing stores for the early equivalent of hipsters. Great American and British leathers to be had then. This lasted until the mid 1990's and was later obliterated by eBay. Mars was sold and now makes rubbish. I must have bought 10-15 jackets from then back in the day. Cafe racers were only worn by bikers back then. People would look at you funny if you wore one out.

Most roo is sold to overseas now - not sure how you can get roo here these days.
Disappointing it is, do you have any photos of those good of jackets that you could share. A roo half belt, that would be like an all weather jacket. I am sure if we get quality roo leather, some manufacturer would make it for us. I'll talk to Birdsall leather see what they have in stock.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No photos. In those days of film and cameras the people I knew didn't photograph objects just people and travel destinations.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Finally received my A2 (HH Seal Brown Size 46) from US Authentic Mfg Co. Love the jacket. Leather feels soft and won't require breaking in as such. Here are some pic for you all. Let me know what you think about the jacket and the fit. Cheers
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2069.JPG
IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi 46 is a pretty large jacket, how tall are you and what do you weigh? It seems well made but on the roomy side. I ask because at six two and 183 I fit their size 40. I find sizing in this brand hard to gauge.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Been a couple of times to the Salvation Army shop in Smith St, Fitzroy recently here in Melbourne. Last time 3 weeks ago. Surprisingly they have some good vintage leather. A lot of older motorcycle jackets including a Schott Perfecto at a $180 and many other cool jackets as well. Many better than average quality.
I guess it's the location, it being a very hip suburb. The other Salvo shops I visit don't have much to bother with.

Last edited:

adiadi

Familiar Face
Hi 46 is a pretty large jacket, how tall are you and what do you weigh? It seems well made but on the roomy side. I ask because at six two and 183 I fit their size 40. I find sizing in this brand hard to gauge.

The fit is good, anything smaller would be a bit snug. Unless I ordered a made-to-measure this is as good as it would get off the rack. I am 6 feet, 110 Kg. A 44 could work but I would find it tight around the shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points