Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie - Hi

alladin

Familiar Face
Hi,

I am a newbie and would like to say hello to everyone.

I have visited the forum a few time and read posts with interest especially the ones that feature leather jackets.

I have never owned a leather jacket but would like to own one and I am very intrigued with the Aero and Eastman leather jackets. In general, is the quality of these two brands similar?

I was considering an A2 jacket and also like the look of the Aero 'Californian' jacket. In terms of leather, I have been in touch with Aero and they have informed me that they offer front quarter horsehide, steerhide and mid-weight horsehide. Is front quarter very stiff and hard to break in? Once broken in, does it become nice and soft?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
You might want to introduce yourself on the " New Ladies and Gents Step Forward" thread under the "Observation Lounge"

There is also an A2 thread under WWII category

Cheers

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello alladin and welcome to the Lounge!

As you know one can get quite an education into the world of various Outerwear on this forum.
In regards to your question of quality as produced by Eastman and Aero, I would say the quality from both is usually superb.
If you do a search in reference to your question of hide selection, A-2 authenticity and break in procedures you will be overwhelmed with information from consumers(FL members) to assist in your choice. Actually it will be choices as no one here stops at one jacket!
Good luck with your purchase selection(s).

Regards, coffee

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello Alladin and welcome to the forum. Before you go ahead and order a leather jacket, I would highly recommend you email Amanda at Aero and ask her to send you some samples. There is no substitute for handling and smelling the different hides - I would definitely try and get hold of the heavy front quarter horse, heavy steer, medium weight horse and goat. As for the heavy front quarter horse - if you are only used to standard shop bought leather then you will probably be shocked by how heavy and stiff it feels. However, as you get used to the feel of it you will gradually start to love it - yes it will always be heavy but, when broken in, it will drape and feel soft particulary when warmed by your body heat.

Good luck on your search for the ultimate leather jacket, but you should know that once the journey begins it could become a very expensive hobby :)

Cheers

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Alladin - welcome to the Lounge !
If i were you I would go with front quarter horsehide from AERO - its just awesome - the look - the feel - the overpowering smell!
Cheers

alladin

Familiar Face
Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It seems that my new interest in leather jackets is the start of a slippery slope which may prove to be quite expensive. I gather forum members own more than one jacket.

I'll try and search the forum threads and gain as much info as i can before making my decision. Is there a big difference between steerhide and front quarter horsehide? Also, is medium weight horsehide just a thinner version of front quarter horsehide? I've come across shell cordovan, and know it not leather per se, but shoes made out of it age very nicely. Your advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner