Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Easy decision...

MAB1 said:
Thanks for giving members here first shot at this once in a lifetime deal.

You're a good man JohnnyPhi.

Thank you, brother! It's the least I could do, after all I've learned from my friends on the Lounge. This is an absolutely amazing place.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Now you tell me!

My friend... I did what I did... with what I had. Let's not re-hash.

Let's talk hats.

kabuto said:
How did this deal come about? Did you search out such places and shop the clothes around? Or did they hear about you (from FL?) and get in touch?

The analogy is probably not apt here because the clothes in this case were probably not _that_ old or valuable, but in the past when some architects (Charles and Henry Greene come to mind) would design houses or restaurants, they'd also design and commission the fabrication of the fixtures, furniture, window glass, etc. There are cases where speculators have bought entire houses, removed all the fixtures, had first-class copies made and reinstalled in the houses, and sold the originals at sky-high prices, enough to give them a profit on the purchase of the original house, which they could then resell.

When truly valuable vintage clothing turns up, it might be better to sell the reproduction rights to a wardrobe company rather than the clothing itself, hire patternmakers and samplemakers to knock them off (or simply photograph them and have the patterns made, leaving the size grading and sewing for when there is an actual need for the clothes), and then sell the original clothes to collectors. Movies don't need originals, and in fact costumers would probably prefer to have sturdier copies (in duplicate) than the originals.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Well, I can see the images on the main page the link brings you to.

I can't see any images on the sub-pages, though.

Anyone else have this problem, or should I start eyeballing my particular machine for something odd?

Stan

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
That's it...

Hey Stan,

I only posted hats in the Johnnyphi Fedoras folder on my Photobucket album. You should see over a dozen pages of images, showing 149 individual hats.

If/when I sell individual hats, then I will move them to the sub-folder called "Sold", so members can see which hats have found new homes.

Happy browsing!

Stan said:
Hi,

Well, I can see the images on the main page the link brings you to.

I can't see any images on the sub-pages, though.

Anyone else have this problem, or should I start eyeballing my particular machine for something odd?

Stan

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
So many beautiful, small hats

Johnny, they're beautiful! I'm sad that you don't have anything big enough for me (7 3/4), but I'm happy just knowing that such gorgeous hats are out there. I hope to see them on some lucky fellows' heads someday.

The Fifth Avenue and the Executive especially. Just beautiful. Cheers, brother.

And congratulations to all you tiny-headed people out there.

Stan

A-List Customer
johnnyphi said:
Hey Stan,

I only posted hats in the Johnnyphi Fedoras folder on my Photobucket album. You should see over a dozen pages of images, showing 149 individual hats.

If/when I sell individual hats, then I will move them to the sub-folder called "Sold", so members can see which hats have found new homes.

Happy browsing!

Hi,

Ah. I see. My bad there. ;)

I thought that if I clicked on one of the links on the sidebar, say for 7 1/8 hats, that I'd see just the size 7 1/8 hats out of the whole. I get nothing displayed - because there's nothing *to* display as that's supposed to be for when they sell. :p

Thanks!

Stan

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I think there IS a problem at photobucket. The other day I was able to click the links on the left and pull up the specific size and manufacturer of hat. Now the links just pull up a blank screen. What's up Johnnyphi?

donCarlos

Practically Family
EVEN-STEVEN said:
I think there IS a problem at photobucket. The other day I was able to click the links on the left and pull up the specific size and manufacturer of hat. Now the links just pull up a blank screen. What's up Johnnyphi?
The problem is not on his side. Photobucket obviously has some problems, because it doesn´t work for me either.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry for the trouble...

Hey y'all... I'm sorry about the trouble with Photobucket, but it is the most flexible of the services that I have found. I do think they were having problems because I ran into the same issues described above.

While I won't claim to be entirely consistent... I did follow a pattern when I tagged the photos.

Here is my system:

The main album contains a subfolder called Johnnyphi Fedoras which contains all 547 photos showing 149 individual hats. (Here is a link - http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/johnnyphi/Johnnyphi%20Fedoras/)

The tags on the left side are organized in 2 ways. The brand name tags show the 3/4 view of each hat, and you can click on each hat to view the larger version and other photos of that hat.

In addition, every hat is tagged by size, so if you click on your size, you should find every photo of every hat in your size.

Also, if you do a search for "johnnyphi" all of my hats will pop up. You can also search "stetson" or other brands to find my hats.

As I said in the original post... The file names are linked to the barcode assigned to each hat, so that is the most reliable way to make sure you are looking at the correct hat.

PS - I totally agree that the "grid" view is the best way to look at the photos, but it requires the most recent version of Flash Player.

kabuto said:
As a workaround, if you click on a tag and then change from Main view to Grid view, you can see the hats (and it's actually a more usable view).

The only problem is that Johnny didn't consistently tag, so that some photos won't show up if you just go by the tags. If you look at the photos in sequential order, you can see the alternate views. For instance, only the canonical three-quarter views of the 7-3/8 long ovals are tagged "7-3/8 long oval," with the inside-the-crown views not having that tag.

Clicking the hat in Main view, then finding the hat you want in Grid view, and then changing to Slideshow view will give access to the full sequence.

(Maybe I shouldn't be explaining this, since the harder it is to find things, the fewer bids there will be ...)

Stan

A-List Customer
On Track now!

Hi,

It's working now. Shoulda just waited a day! :eusa_doh:

Actually, it might have been better in the long run - on my wallet that is - for it to have stayed busted! lol

Later!

Stan

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Starts Tonight!!!

Thank you all for your interest in this collection.

After months of preparation, I am finally ready to begin the sale process.

Scotrace will post an explanation of the process in the Merchants section shortly, and the auction will begin TONIGHT.

Happy bidding!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:
There wasn't much action on the first round of auctions.

I hope that won't be a sign of things to come.
I wouldn't worry too much...there's some of us that have browsed the pics and are biding their time until that special little lid comes up. And, worse case scenario, you throw them on 'daBay and clean up. Think college fund for the kids!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Lucky said:
I wouldn't worry too much...there's some of us that have browsed the pics and are biding their time until that special little lid comes up....

Quite right, I for one have a large chunk of my posterior now firmly within the jaws of the United States Treasury, Department of Internal Revenue & am waiting for the tide to again rise...
:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran