Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

indycop

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
It's not my hat size that worries me, I know I'm good there....it's my pocketbook. :eusa_doh:
While at an antique store today I saw a green Tyrolean for $35 that is close to yer size. Dee tried it on and it was a little small for her.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Enough to go around...

indycop said:
Dee also tried on a silk top hat that they wanted $85 for.[huh]

Indy, I've got enough great hats to go around, but...

If you want to be on the safe side, you might want to consider Bolthead's hair style.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
johnnyphi said:
Indy, I've got enough great hats to go around, but...

If you want to be on the safe side, you might want to consider Bolthead's hair style.
:D Nah, I know his size. We have sent a couple hat his way. Seems he fits the lucky size that comes in just to small for Dee's size so when she takes a chance on a hat and its too small then its a good thing for him!:eusa_doh: lol lol lol lol

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"If you want to be on the safe side, you might want to consider Bolthead's hair style."

Or lack there of......

Cancun040.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
bolthead said:
"If you want to be on the safe side, you might want to consider Bolthead's hair style."

Or lack there of......

Cancun040.jpg
I thought the lack of hair was so you could fit in with your reptiles !!!lol lol
We need a close up of that there concoction!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
New Discovery...

I'm at the warehouse, working on my inventory, and I just made a cool discovery...

Some of the Adam hat boxes actually have a copywrite date incorpoarated into the artwork on the box. The 1st date I found was 1947. The 2nd box is a different color, and it is dated 1950, which means the copywrite dates on the boxes should give a relatively accurate date of birth for the hats inside the box.

Of course, the hats may have been switched around over the years, but I can usually tell because the original descriptions are stamped on the box, and the store would make notes on each box using a grease pencil.

Anyway... I'm not sure what it all means, but I thought I'd share.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
I don't hold a candle!

surely said:
cool man, you're becoming a hatologist!

I don't hold a candle to the many experts on the Fedora Lounge... Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

For the record, I arrived at the warehouse at 11:00 am and I stopped working at 11:00 pm. It was a long day.

I found some great hats that I hadn't seen before, and I'm looking forward to sharing them with you all soon.

PS - Moths are EVIL!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
errr... ummm

Mr. Lucky said:
Johnny - Have you come across any straw hats in the inventory?

Yes, but I only have a few, and they aren't that great. Plus, the straws don't hold up like the felt hats. I probably have a dozen decent hats, but I only found one honest-to-God Panama... It's an Adam, Size 7, with a burgundy ribbon.

I also have one of those gag golf hats with a putting green and fake golf ball on top of the crown... in case you're going to any Caddyshack parties in the near future.

Did I mention that I've got a ton of AMAZING felt dress hats?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mr. Lucky said:
Anything like this?
cavett-large.jpg

I wish! :eusa_doh:

Mine are straw, stingy brim, porkpie hats, with a "green" and golf ball on top of the crown. I was a golfer, until I started this project, so these awful hats are pretty darn ironic.

(Don't worry... I did make it to the range this afternoon, so all is not lost.)

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
What's your latest inventory/prices on Lee's, 7 1/2 LO? Came across one in town today, loved it, but it was a 6 7/8:( Feel free to pm... I'm working my 'banker' to free up some money for me...

Andy

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
7 1/2 Lee Hats...

airforceindy said:
What's your latest inventory/prices on Lee's, 7 1/2 LO? Came across one in town today, loved it, but it was a 6 7/8:( Feel free to pm... I'm working my 'banker' to free up some money for me...

Andy

Hey there, Andy.

Sorry to hear about the 6 7/8 Lee...

I don't have any 7 1/2 LO hats available, but I've got a great selection of 7 1/2 hats that I'll be posting soon. Including several Lees and some amazing Schobles from WWII, and earlier. The sweats are supple, so stretching shouldn't be too difficult, if you've got a good stretcher.

In the meantime, I haven't set prices, so I can't give you a ballpark, yet.

I'm working on a matrix for pricing, but it's becoming more like an algorithm.
(We're talking about a large group of hats of various brands, sizes, styles, qualities, conditions, etc.)

The prices will be based on my best assessment of Market Rates, but you can rest assured that I will offer a large chunk of these hats for sale to members of the Lounge, first.

The goal would be to eliminate the wild prices found on eBay.

Thanks again for your patience!

mingoslim

Practically Family
Having been blessed . . .

Having been blessed with one of Johnnyphi's hats, I can assure everyone that IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT . . . :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic