Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Jovan said:
Sounds great... I just want to know if you'll ever answer my last PM!

Sorry for the slow response, Jovan!

I'm curious... Has anyone ever heard of a private auction on eBay? I was thinking that I could post the hats on eBay, without filling out all of the search criteria. Then, I could post the links in the lounge, so the auction could only be found on the lounge. I'm not a heavy eBay user, so it may not work.

Any thoughts?

mingoslim

Practically Family
A Belated Note Of Thanks . . .

Just a belated note of thanks, and a commendation . . .

As you all may remember, I was one of the bidders on Johnnyphi's first foray into eBay . . . sorr to say I lost . . .

But our friend made me an offer on a very similar hat to the Lee on eBay, and I jumped at the chance . . .

All I can say is MAGNIFICENT . . . a gorgeous Lee Corral in tan . . . 50 years old, no doubt, but as good as new.

Add to that friendly communications, fast shipping, etc. etc. etc. A true gentleman to deal with . . . I have been sick as a dog the last couple of weeks, but as soon as I am whole, I will post some pics . . .

So now, all of you who have been champing at the bit to get your hands on one of Johnnyphi's lids have one more reason . . . :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
mingoslim said:
Just a belated note of thanks, and a commendation . . .

As you all may remember, I was one of the bidders on Johnnyphi's first foray into eBay . . . sorr to say I lost . . .

But our friend made me an offer on a very similar hat to the Lee on eBay, and I jumped at the chance . . .

All I can say is MAGNIFICENT . . . a gorgeous Lee Corral in tan . . . 50 years old, no doubt, but as good as new.

Add to that friendly communications, fast shipping, etc. etc. etc. A true gentleman to deal with . . . I have been sick as a dog the last couple of weeks, but as soon as I am whole, I will post some pics . . .

So now, all of you who have been champing at the bit to get your hands on one of Johnnyphi's lids have one more reason . . . :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Thin ribboned I am willing to bet.:D

Looking forward to photos!

mingoslim

Practically Family
Thanks for the concern Indy . . .

I am feeling a lot better . . . I still look like hell . . .

Meanwhile, I promised to post a pic of my new Lee Corral, Black Label . . . Courtesy of the treasure trove of Johnnyphi . . .

011608a.jpg

I may not be pretty . . . but the hat is gorgeous . . .

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Bravo!!!

Mingo,

I'm glad you're feeling better. Thanks for the kind words and the photo! The hat looks great, and I'm looking forward to sharing more of my stash with y'all in the near future.

I've been out of town for the past few days, but I am back, and I'd like to start putting more of the hats up for sale very soon.

mingoslim said:
I am feeling a lot better . . . I still look like hell . . .

Meanwhile, I promised to post a pic of my new Lee Corral, Black Label . . . Courtesy of the treasure trove of Johnnyphi . . .

011608a.jpg

I may not be pretty . . . but the hat is gorgeous . . .

surely

A-List Customer
sneaky

johnnyphi said:

I'm curious... Has anyone ever heard of a private auction on eBay? I was thinking that I could post the hats on eBay, without filling out all of the search criteria. Then, I could post the links in the lounge, so the auction could only be found on the lounge. I'm not a heavy eBay user, so it may not work.

Any thoughts?

My first reaction was that's brilliant After more thought, it still seems brilliant. I don't know the inner workings of ebay auctions, but there should be others here who do.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyphi said:

Any thoughts?
Why give eBay a cut? Post them in the Classifieds
section here. If someone should get a cut it should
be MK, not eBay.

carldelo

One Too Many
Second that

feltfan said:
Why give eBay a cut? Post them in the Classifieds
section here. If someone should get a cut it should
be MK, not eBay.

I agree with this sentiment - got anything nice in a 7-3/4?

Ande1964

Practically Family
In my opinion, auction is the best way to go for all concerned. Ebay may offer the easiest way to accomplish that, and I would have no problem with going that route.

Whatever johnnyphi decides, let's all be cool with it, and let's get it going!

But, take that with a grain of salt coming from me... they're probably all too small for my noggin.

Anj

carldelo

One Too Many
Ande1964 said:
In my opinion, auction is the best way to go for all concerned. Ebay may offer the easiest way to accomplish that, and I would have no problem with going that route.

Whatever johnnyphi decides, let's all be cool with it, and let's get it going!

But, take that with a grain of salt coming from me... they're probably all too small for my noggin.

Anj

OK, you're right, I agree that auction would be the best way. I just have a phobia about reactivating my paypal account - if it's not active, then ebay won't have much sway over my attention.....

Ditto for the noggin size problem - I never find anything vintage that fits, wah... :(

citRon

A-List Customer
why not an auction here in the classifieds? He could list the hat, set a start price, and run the ad for 7 days (or however long) same as on ebay, but post your offers, next post higher than the last...until the prescribed ending date/time. Highest-last offer wins it. Plus, unlike evilbay, you get to see what others are willing to pay for it and go from there.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
All Good Ideas...

First. and foremost... I can't do anything until I get the "OK" from the Powers-that-Be, but your comments are helpful.

In my opinion, eBay is the best way to protect the integrity of the Lounge, and I'd hate to do anything that causes problems in the future because I plan to stick around for a while.

On the other hand, I think we all agree that the FL crowd should get first crack at some of my hats. I really wouldn't be in this position, without your help. Plus, I know I don't have to explain the value of these hats to anyone here.

Here's one more thing to consider... I have sold 1 hat on eBay, so far. I believe 90% of the bids came from FL members, but the hat was won by a Fedora Lounge LURKER! He's a great guy, and he subsequently joined the lounge, but it's important to remember that you don't have to be a contributing member to enjoy the Lounge.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Plus Sizes...

I hate to burst your larger than average bubbles, but I haven't found any hats larger than a 7 1/2 and 7 1/2 LO.

With a little luck and some professional assistance, you might be able to take a 7 1/2 up to 7 3/4, but it would be risky.

While we're on the subject of sizes, I spent some time in a custom hat shop last week in Ruidoso, NM, and the owner suggested I might be an Honest-to-God "Block Head". Meaning, my head is more of a square or rectangle, than an oval. I've got a ton of German blood in me, so I can't rule it out. ;)

carldelo said:
I agree with this sentiment - got anything nice in a 7-3/4?

carldelo

One Too Many
johnnyphi said:
I hate to burst your larger than average bubbles, but I haven't found any hats larger than a 7 1/2 and 7 1/2 LO.

With a little luck and some professional assistance, you might be able to take a 7 1/2 up to 7 3/4, but it would be risky.

While we're on the subject of sizes, I spent some time in a custom hat shop last week in Ruidoso, NM, and the owner suggested I might be an Honest-to-God "Block Head". Meaning, my head is more of a square or rectangle, than an oval. I've got a ton of German blood in me, so I can't rule it out. ;)

I feel your pain - actually I don't, because my Scandinavian noggin is too thick - really, I saw the x-ray when I went over the handlebars of my bike at 20mph and didn't get a concussion, it's all excess bone, not extra gray matter.

Anyway, I didn't really expect any of your hats to be the right size. I haven't had luck stretching hats - they seem to eventually go back to where they started. I'm currently rewiring my attitude towards custom hats which shouldn't take too long. Sounds like ebay is the right way to go with your trove...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou