Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

Bassman

A-List Customer
johnnyphi said:
This one is cool... It's green and furry... It's an Adam, and the size is 7. It has a cool fur band, with orange and blue feathers.

What would you call this hat?
I'd call it ......"Mohair Sam".

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ropa Vieja

johnnyphi said:
The move took forever!!! But we had a great crew, and they were working under difficult conditions.

Can anyone translate this phrase... Ropa vieja?
:D

So... everything is safely at the undisclosed location.

In the meantime, I'd like to post some pictures for your enjoyment.

Ropa Vieja means "old clothes" (is that what the guys kept telling you?) but it is also the name of a (the) Cuban national meat dish FWIW...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
The real deal...

OK... So... I showed y'all what was on display in the store. Now, take a look at the real deal. This is one hat from one box in one room.

This is an Adam, Executive Quality, Light Grey, Stratoliner, size 7 1/2. Brim is marked with Air Lite.

The brim is 2 7/8, and the ribbon is very thin.

I can't find any flaws... at all.

Merry Christmas, DAD!!!

ChristmasforDad.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyphi said:
This one is cool... It's green and furry... It's an Adam, and the size is 7. It has a cool fur band, with orange and blue feathers.

What would you call this hat?

GreenFurryStingy.jpg
I'd call it, "Right up my Alley". :D

Nice Gold Mine you found there my friend, and welcome to the Lounge.

J.B.

Practically Family
johnnyphi said:
...This is an Adam, Executive Quality, Light Grey, Stratoliner, size 7 1/2. Brim is marked with Air Lite.

The brim is 2 7/8, and the ribbon is very thin.

I can't find any flaws... at all.

Merry Christmas, DAD!!!...

Dearest Johnny,

Ahh, thank you from the very <s>heart of my bottom</s> ...err, the bottom of my heart, son! It was so very heartwarming to see that you've finally found it in your heart to forgive me for leaving you and your mother for that hussy who owned the chain of Dairy Queens in Tucumcari those many years ago! BTW, you did get all of those letters and emails that I sent you begging for forgiveness for my harmless momentary little indiscretion with that scurrilous woman, didn't you??

Anyway, son, if you'll just make a few frivolous posts on one of the other hat threads here -- soon you'll be able to receive my PM's giving you my latest <s>whereabouts</s> oop... <s>bowling alley location</s>... uhh, address so that you can OVERNIGHT SHIP THAT LID TO ME TONIGHT! Please mark the carton "For Saturday Delivery" so that I too, may sooner share in the Joy and Spirit of Receiving this Christmas!

P.S.: Oh, and Dearest Johnny, please ignore the churlish behavior of some of the other members here... It's pretty easy to see through their grasping self-gratifying scheming! It's very important that you not be swayed by offers of money for these hats! After all, son, there's no monetary price that can outweigh the caring between family members, right???

Well, my boy, don't stay up too late packing up my hat tonight, okay -- and please send along the tracking number at your earliest convenience! (You know how much I worry about this stuff?!)

...Oops. Gotta go now. Got a couple of "Blizzard Treat" customers at the counter asking for service?!

Best,
Your (Anxious) Dad :)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mama always said...

"Son, if you can only find a stash of impecable fedoras, your daddy will come running back to us like a rat to cheese."

I always thought she was speaking metaphorically.

So... I tried on the Stratoliner, and now I see where they came up with the name. The crown is sooo tall! My real dad is 6'3, so I think I'm going to give him a different Adam fedora.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Next Steps...

Baron Kurtz said:
Great stuff! What is your overall plot for these hats/shirts/ties etc? Are you in the clothing/vintage business yourself?

(incidentally, i'll state that i have far too many great vintage hats already, this is merely an interested question).

bk

Good questions! I have a day job, so I wouldn't say I'm in the business. On the other hand, I've got a ton of vintage clothes and hats, and I need to do something with them.

My immediate next step is to conduct an inventory, which is a daunting thought. I really appreciate the gents who have offered to assist with the effort. I may take one or two of them up on the offer!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Son, if you can only find a stash of impecable fedoras, your daddy will come running back to us like a rat to cheese."

I always thought she was speaking metaphorically.

LMAO......:eusa_clap

sphughes

Familiar Face
I am very new to the game but I appreciate what I see. I am interested to keep track of how things go for you johnnyphi. I look forward to your updates.

-Scott

mingoslim

Practically Family
I would be happy to lend a hand . . .

johnnyphi said:
Good questions! I have a day job, so I wouldn't say I'm in the business. On the other hand, I've got a ton of vintage clothes and hats, and I need to do something with them.

My immediate next step is to conduct an inventory, which is a daunting thought. I really appreciate the gents who have offered to assist with the effort. I may take one or two of them up on the offer!

I have some experience at cataloging and archival databases which might come in handy. And you have such a neat find it would be an honor to help out.

Mark/Mingoslim

PS: And if you ever do decide you wish to sell a few, put me in the queue . . . You have some incredible merchandise!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I too, ignored this thread till now thinking some new guy had bough a hat on e-bay.

I am quite impressed with your great find. As a guy with a small enough head, and having been adealer in the past and ammassed enough to satisfy me for now, and also having developed a certain cheapness that would preclude me from bringing myself to pay what these will go for, i can speak as someone who wants nothing from you. Except the comraderie we want from any member of the lounge that is.

My suggestion is to not worry too much about inventorying or finding out about Adam hats or whatever.

A little knowledge is good and being able tyo accurately give the decade of something is helpful. But since we have e-bay that is not so necessery. Your bidders will know.

That is assuming that you hav ethe time to sell them yourself on e-bay or have someone do it. If you don't want to deal with it, you can always sell it off in one lot or a few or find a dealer who will consign or something like that.

But my suggestion is make it a side job or hobby to post things on e-bay as you have time. Don't oversaturate as that will bring your price down. But if you post a few hats and a few other items a week, you can generate extra income as you go along. Assuming your storage does not cost too much. That will maximize profit and allow you to not have to worry as much about figuring exactly what it is worth. Just describe and have as good a photos as you can.

It seems like you may have eneded up with the leftover sizes which means some tiny ones AND SOME BIG ONES. That is the beauty of it. The average sizes got sold and all these big honkin ones were left behind.

You can probably find a good dealer/repair person to give you a deal on the repairs of the damaged ones. They might be able to just buy them then retail them themselves after repair. Or you can just sell them as is.

One last note. I alwasy offer a 10% discount on my e-bay auctions for FL members. It would be a nice way to reward their helpful info if you wanted to. And once you have a good idea of value, you certainly could offer members a private deal on some hat or other in their size as a token. They would be very greatful and would certainly give them good homes.

Of course, if money is not a big object to you, you could just get a general idea of value sell some to members for a good deal as a late christmas gift. They will surely not find more deserving heads to rest upon. Ther are a lot of guys with big heads who can not quite afford an Art Fawcett special, but would be able to give you a fair price.

Just my 2 cents.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I agree with much of what Reetpleat has offered, with one minor exception. I think a good detailed write up on each hat will enhance your sales. While it's nice to offer people deals, let's face it, this is not only a huge gamble on your part, but it is ultimately an investment. A good write up will establish your credibility as a seller, and will give people more confidence in your description of the quality and condition of the items. Novice hat buyers will be more willing to take a greater risk on your hats if they feel reassured that they are buying from a knowledgeable, informed seller. Experienced hat buyers will appreciate the level of detail.

Also, look what the flamboyant descriptions have done for J. Peterman! When selling a hat, you're selling more than just quality felt; you're selling image and style. Talk those babies up, and tell all the guys how cool they'll look and how irresistible they'll be to women.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For the penultimate of eBay listings for vintage apparel/hats/shoes etc., watch for the listings by the seller 'mr.wooster." Always outstanding, and generally gets the maximum probable for his stuff.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
I agree with much of what Reetpleat has offered, with one minor exception. I think a good detailed write up on each hat will enhance your sales. While it's nice to offer people deals, let's face it, this is not only a huge gamble on your part, but it is ultimately an investment. A good write up will establish your credibility as a seller, and will give people more confidence in your description of the quality and condition of the items. Novice hat buyers will be more willing to take a greater risk on your hats if they feel reassured that they are buying from a knowledgeable, informed seller. Experienced hat buyers will appreciate the level of detail.

Also, look what the flamboyant descriptions have done for J. Peterman! When selling a hat, you're selling more than just quality felt; you're selling image and style. Talk those babies up, and tell all the guys how cool they'll look and how irresistible they'll be to women.[/QUOTEI agree. A knowledge of the details of the hat and what they mean, crown height etc, will go along way. There is no better source for that info than the lounge.

Also, a bit about the hat company cut and pasted or paraphrased will help establish your cred and add value to the buyer, then a bit about how cool they will look is always good, but don't get too corny. I get tired of the "you will look like a film noir gangster, adventurer, g-man, jimy stewart, humphry bogart........

But to say something like "This is particularly high crowned with a narrow brim much like James Cagney wore in Public Enemy." would be very helpful in adding value.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:

Also, look what the flamboyant descriptions have done for J. Peterman! When selling a hat, you're selling more than just quality felt; you're selling image and style. Talk those babies up, and tell all the guys how cool they'll look and how irresistible they'll be to women.[/QUOTE

It is a hot humid day in the jungles of Columbia. You grab the idol and begin to run, the local natives crouched down on one knee in worship. You race down hill towards your plane waiting for a quick get away. You reach up and hold your authentic Adams tan fedora, size 7 1/2 (Buy it now $100) so it does not fall from your head. Poisen darts whiz by you on all sides, but you are not worried. Your trusty pilot and trusty hat will see you through in style.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Okay, I'll bite

scotrace said:
For the penultimate of eBay listings for vintage apparel/hats/shoes etc., watch for the listings by the seller 'mr.wooster." Always outstanding, and generally gets the maximum probable for his stuff.
Who's the ultimate?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Writers wanted...

:eusa_clap
reetpleat said:
Mojave Jack said:

Also, look what the flamboyant descriptions have done for J. Peterman! When selling a hat, you're selling more than just quality felt; you're selling image and style. Talk those babies up, and tell all the guys how cool they'll look and how irresistible they'll be to women.[/QUOTE

It is a hot humid day in the jungles of Columbia. You grab the idol and begin to run, the local natives crouched down on one knee in worship. You race down hill towards your plane waiting for a quick get away. You reach up and hold your authentic Adams tan fedora, size 7 1/2 (Buy it now $100) so it does not fall from your head. Poisen darts whiz by you on all sides, but you are not worried. Your trusty pilot and trusty hat will see you through in style.

If I ever get big enough to hire writers... You're going to be at the top of my list. In the meantime, watch out for darts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart