Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie on Fedoras.. are these good options to buy?

The Thinker

New in Town
Hello Everyone good to be on here..

I am now considering buying a fedora to go with my suit as its obviously the best accesory anyone could have! :D However, I am a poor student and dont wish to spend a large amount of money :p... I was considering this as a cheap option, I could just walk down into the town and by it from a mainstream vendor.
http://www.bhsmenswear.co.uk/webapp...d=218036&parent_categoryId=217026&pageSize=20 - It says Ambassador hat, enlighten me.. is this them trying to give a fedora a trendy name, or is it actually a different hat? It looks like a fedora to me! :L

If it isnt really a fedora, could anyone from the UK give any good links for cheap fedoras? :) I have a dark blue suit, with thin pinstripe and I always have black shoes to go with... So black and grey fedora's are best to suit..???

Cicero

A-List Customer
Welcome aboard The Thinker.
In my humble opinion, if you like it, wear it!
Also take a look at auction site's/house's because you can find some great hats that will fit in your budget.

Last edited:

sal

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard Thinker.
I agree with Cicero; if you like it wear it. I have a couple of hats that were in the same price range as the one you are thinking about. I wear them frequently and I am not worried if they get bent, crushed, folded, or wet for that matter. Buy what you like

The Thinker

New in Town
Out of interest, what actually is an ambassador hat? Because I cant see it as an actual 'type of hat' anywhere.. and it looks like a fedora? what is it? haha :L

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have always purchased what I like if I think it will look presentable on me. The hat in the link is not a bad looking hat. It is a wool hat, and you should make yourself aware what wool will do if it gets wet, or crushed, etc., however, if you like the hat and want it, then get it! I still have a wool hat, a fedora by Bailey, I will probably never get rid of it, as they stopped making that particular hat a few years ago, and it was the only hat they made that even looked like it, high crown, nice color, etc., but I cannot ever let it get wet or it will be ruined! And, Hello to you! Welcome to the lounge!

Edward

Bartender
Hello Everyone good to be on here..

I am now considering buying a fedora to go with my suit as its obviously the best accesory anyone could have! :D However, I am a poor student and dont wish to spend a large amount of money :p... I was considering this as a cheap option, I could just walk down into the town and by it from a mainstream vendor.
http://www.bhsmenswear.co.uk/webapp...d=218036&parent_categoryId=217026&pageSize=20 - It says Ambassador hat, enlighten me.. is this them trying to give a fedora a trendy name, or is it actually a different hat? It looks like a fedora to me! :L

If it isnt really a fedora, could anyone from the UK give any good links for cheap fedoras? :) I have a dark blue suit, with thin pinstripe and I always have black shoes to go with... So black and grey fedora's are best to suit..???

Yeah, i's a fedora. A wool one. A lot of folks don't care for wool as it doesn't have the same properties as fur felt. You won't get that brim to snap on that hat, for instance. That said, it's not a bad looking hat and at that price maybe not a bad place to start if you're still getting used to hats, or while you save for a more expensive model. My first fedora was something very similar, from Debenhams. £8 in the sale in September 1992!

walney

New in Town
Living in the UK we don't have retailers and mail order outlets stocking the same range of hats as our American cousins. My first hats were similar to the type you are looking at, wool, and as Edward says they will not snap like a good fur felt, plus they tend to shrink if they get too wet. I know it would cost more and being a student you are on a budget but consider a Christy's Knightbridge, nice quality and you will enjoy wearing it more than a wool hat. If you live near York or Chester the Hat Company stock it and it would be cheaper than ordering it direct from Christys. If you are near London Lairds in Covent garden and the Hat Centre are worth considering, all have websites. And finally when the bug has truely bitten and the budget allows visit Bates. I recently bought their Grosvenor Fedora which is a beauty and much admired.

If you can't stretch to a more expensive option get the one you are considering and enjoy wearing it. I found that it takes bit of confidence to start wearing hats but once the positive comments come, and they will, you will feel uncomfortable leaving the house without a hat.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Thinker!

I would second the Christy's option. I gave owned four & always found them quite nice. I would also recomend a second look at an Akubra, and of course, eBay... my .02p ;)

Dan Cav

New in Town
Hey there Thinker,

My first hat was a wool, (I had zero idea about Fedoras then) but I have since acquired a few fur felts and there is just no going back for me.

There are not too many "vintage" fur felts available here in Australia, so all mine have been sourced from the USA ebay etc.

Most of mine have cost me less than $40 AuD for brands such as Resistol, Pilgrim and Cavanagh ( of course Cav's are my fav:))

Good luck.

The Thinker

New in Town
Cheers lads :)

I took a look on Amazon and I found a few for 5 pounds more, crushable fedora's in black, grey and tan. I think after a look in the vintage shop in my city, I will probably get one these ones... Now I wanted to decide a colour as I also don't know colour co-ord for hats at all :L As I put earlier I have a dark blue suit with thin pinstripe, I wear black shoes with that as well. Would a black actually be better? or grey and brown? :p

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Cheers lads :)

IAs I put earlier I have a dark blue suit with thin pinstripe, I wear black shoes with that as well. Would a black actually be better? or grey and brown? :p

Grey would be more versatile and is a good choice for a first hat imo. You can wear it with lots of different colours and outfits, unlike black.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I currently own a black Fur Felt Fedora, a Brown Stetson Temple Fur Felt Fedora, and a Charcoal Grey Beaver felt fedora. Look upon buying your first hat as an experiment (a destructive test if you will). You will pick the hat you like best having not worn hats before. This will be a mistake, but you don't know in what way YET? Buy the least expensive, best looking hat you can. After you've worn it for a while, you will notice that the crown isn't right, the crease isn't right, and the Brim is too short (or too wide). Save up, buy a hat to meet your NEW style and buy a fur felt hat (if possible). Wear and stet up again.

Just my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot